PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going to the Daytona Off-Shore?

pmreed
03-28-2002, 12:48 AM
Just wondering if any of you guys will be attending the Daytona races in April. I've got a place in New Smyrna Beach and I'm planning to go. Went last year and saw Gene Drago (crewing for Dr. Gerry), Kent Perroux, and "Spitfire Dave (crewing for Cat Man Do). I hear that Zero Cavity is taking a year off so I don't know if Gene will be up. If enough people are interested, maybe we could make something of this. See http://www.apba-offshore.com for info. Phil

Cuda
04-04-2002, 04:41 PM
I am thinking of going, do you know if you can see the race well from the beach? Or, should I drag a boat over?

pmreed
04-05-2002, 08:31 AM
Cuda,

Unless you've got a 28' or bigger boat I wouldn't recommend it. Last year the 33' and 38 footers were having a heck of a time...it was really rough! Besides, the marshals really keep spectators away. I just watched from the shore. The local rock station was broadcasting live from the beach, and kept us up-to-date on what was happening. The whole course is visible from the shore, though I would recommend a pair of binoculars to really see what's going on.

Phil

Cuda
04-05-2002, 09:17 AM
Yep, that's what I think we will do, watch it from the beach.

Tidbart
04-08-2002, 07:39 AM
Hey Phil, can't you drive your vehicles on the beach there??

P.S. Nice to meet you yesterday.

pmreed
04-08-2002, 12:11 PM
Absolutely Bob, you can drive your vehicles on the beach for the race. You need to get there reasonably early for a good spot, and especially if you're trying to raft up with a few others. As we get more response from Donzi guys and gals who plan on showing up, maybe we can put together a plan.

For those whose only interest is to see the 2, that's right, 2 F2 Donzis racing, they go Sunday.

It was good to meet you, Bob..and your pretty 18 Classic...and your pretty boat girl. Hope to see y'all at more events.

Phil

GeneD
04-13-2002, 09:04 PM
GeneD will be attending, of course!
I am a major part of Team Warlock now and I am really looking forward to it.
This year better be more organized than last year. I did more driving in Daytona than anywhere on the circuit. In fact, the driver's meeting was so far from our pit area and hotel (and we were late) that we got pulled over for speeding. Dr. Santiago was able to pull some APBA charm and got us out of trouble.
Drive here, drive there. Can't get into the pits because the Petty boys are racing. Hurry up and wait in the staging area. It really was beat. Hopefully they have solved all these problems.
Another thing I don't look forward to is the big water that Daytona is known for. We may just stay on the trailer if it's bad. Though, I am looking forward to my first swim of the year, but not wearing a life jacket!

Magic Float
04-18-2002, 07:30 AM
Karen and I will be there.

pmreed
04-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Well guys, It looks like we might be able to put together a good meet after all. :) Now that the Donzi factory will be involved, maybe a few more Registry members will show up. So far, it looks like jkeefe, Kent Perroux, Cuda, Magic Float and myself for sure. tidbitnh (Bob), and Mark Albers as maybes. Ted and GeneD will also be there, but will have other things on their minds...like racing eek! . Now people, if we can figure out how to hook up, all will be fine!!

Phil

Tidbart
04-19-2002, 12:24 PM
Phil, I am trying to go. If I do, I will need some specifics as to where to go. I have never been to Daytona. My plan would be to take the truck and take it out to the beach and hook up with some of you there. By the way, are we talking Sat or Sun?

Last Tango
04-19-2002, 08:48 PM
Lots of FINE looking offshore racing boats passed through Jacksonville on their way to Daytona last couple of days. My office overlooks I-95. Easy to spot when your eye is properly trained to note interesting boats out of the corner...
Mark :cool:

pmreed
04-23-2002, 07:09 AM
The races are getting close :) . I'll be going over early Friday afternoon to the dry pits at the Speedway. Unlike last year, I guess there are no evening festivities planned :( , so it'll probably be an early night unless I hook up with some of you there. I certainly plan on checking in at the Donzi pavilion :D .

According to the APBA site,

The race along the beach next Sunday features a course four miles long, in an area roughly between Silver Beach and Seabreeze boulevards.That puts Main Street and the pier just about in the middle of the course. The races are at 1 and 3 PM Saturday and Sunday (my experience is that they always seem to start late) and I plan on viewing them all. Donzi's 38 ZRs race Sunday. I would like to get close to the pier as I think I'll buy a pier pass for $10.00 each day. Should be prime viewing from there, plus, you do want to be near a head. I did a lot of walking last year eek! ! What we do Sat night is up in the air. I've got a place about a half an hour south in New Smyrna Beach and we could BBQ or hit one of the local joints. There are hundreds of places in Daytona and south, but I don't know too much about them.

If anybody needs maps, let me know; I can e-mail you an Expedia link that should help.

My cell is (407) 716-1184 and I'll have it on all weekend, so check in when you hit the beach

Phil

GeneD
04-23-2002, 10:01 AM
Okay guys...the best place to be meeting up anywhere is going to obviously be the Donzi Hospitality Tent. I will try to place my pit as close to them as possible. But you never know what is going to happen.
I thought they were supposed to have some kind of extravaganza going on in the infield Saturday night? Awards and truck expo something or other. Hey, if they don't entertain us, we'll find somewhere to go that is certain.

pmreed
04-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Well, well, my viewing plans may have just changed. Viewing from the Donzi suite in the Adams Mark?? Hmmmmmmmm...Donzi girls......no brainer, at least for some of the time.

Phil

Cuda
04-26-2002, 08:42 AM
We will be staying at the Rodeway Inn, which I beleive is close to the Adam's Mark. We are headed out early tomorrow am and should be in Dayton around 11 am, after I drop the dogs at the doggie motel.

pmreed
04-26-2002, 09:43 AM
Just got out of the shower...headed over in about an hour. I'll be in the dry pits around 2:00. Looking forward to see'n ya'll :D !!

Phil