PDA

View Full Version : Savannah Offshore Races

Greg K
06-09-2003, 11:10 AM
I'm making plans for the July 4th weekend. Anyone else planning on attending and or bringing their Donzi? Any other info or help anyone can offer as to ramps or docks to launch if you've been their before, would like to view races form the water.

pmreed
06-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Hey Greg, I'm thinking about coming up for the Savannah races. Wouldn't bring the boat up, but I could be talked into ringside seat. Haven't been to this venue before so I know nothing about places to stay and so on. Maybe there are some lurkers who can give some info.

Phil

Greg K
06-16-2003, 04:20 PM
ttt

Budmann
06-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Hey Dork, I might be talked into bring my boat to GA. Would love to get together for a beer or 12! Can you give more info and schedule??

boldts
06-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Here is Savannah, GA info.

Savannah (http://www.savannahgeorgia.com)

and here is the APBA itinerary.

APBA - Savannah (http://www.apba-offshore.com/events.cfm?EventID=4)

Forrest
06-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Even if the races are awash (lots of rain in the forcast), Savanah and Tybee Island are great places to check out.

Greg K
06-17-2003, 03:21 PM
I did some more diggin on info and where to put in and how to get around. Race central will be downtown on Hutchinson Island at the Convention Center next to the Westin. The Westin is fully booked. It's about a 8-10 mile ride maybe less I think out to the course at Tybee Island from there. Kilo runs will occur on the river in front of the convention center on Friday afternoon.

I also found there is no where to store or dock a boat in Savannah near downtown. I made many calls to marinas and the hotels for dock space or overnight storage. None to be had. Hotels have a few but on the river and is not in a no wake zone and don't accept anything under 25' to dock.
About 5 miles up the river from downtown is Port Wentworth, there are 2 double lane ramps and parking at the Houlihan Bridge. I thought of putting in there and riding down the river from there. I also am thinking of staying near I-95 and not downtown since rooms there are in the $180 plus range per night.

The only thing is, my motor blew up last week and need to get my new motor into my 22 by then to be able to bring it along. New 502 going in, just waiting on delivery and want to be back in the water by July 4th.

Powerless at the moment....

Forrest
06-18-2003, 08:44 AM
K, I've stayed at the LaQuinta a number of times, which is about halfway between I-95 and downtown. Actually, it's probably closer to downtown than I-95. The rates are standard LaQuinta rates unless they jack it up for the race weekend.