PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Race in Cincinnati Donzi Gathering

boldts
06-09-2003, 10:58 AM
I'm planning to come down to Cincinnati next weekend to view and or help out with the Cincinnati Offshore Race. Anyone interested in gathering somewhere during or afterwards? I'm sure the other Offshore website has something going on, but it would be fun to get the local Donzis together also. Kinda SEADOG style if you will.

Also, where is the best place to launch the boat? Is the main ramp downtown closed due to the races? I also do not remember there being docks at that launch. Might be a little difficult for me since I will be flying solo this time. I had a new OH Donzi owner with a 33ZX join the club last week and since his boat is stored at a marina there in Cincy, he said he was planning on attending the races.

One last thing, I might decide to come down after work on Friday evening. Do any of you have a room I could rent with space for the boat? If someone would like to ride in my Classic, like I said, I'm flying solo this trip.

pmreed
06-09-2003, 03:09 PM
Ahhh, Scott. Now you'll get to wear that championship shirt! :D

Phil

HyperDonzi
06-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Scott, Bill K was going down, talked to him yesterday, (we both were stuck in the houseboat we used for shelter in that rain!!) said he isnt going down. I have a friend who wants to get into boating, seems interested in the race, do you want to caravan down there?

Tommy

boldts
06-09-2003, 03:53 PM
PMReed - yes I will, but since it is a Divisional race and sponsored by Formula. I don't expect to see any Donzi race boats there. Just us on-lookers.

Hyper - still not sure when I'm leaving. I'd like to stay in Cincy Friday night, especially if I'm helping as a patrol boat for the race or getting up early Saturday morn and driving down. Either way, I'll need to be there early Saturday morning.

bgagne
06-09-2003, 04:03 PM
I took my boat out on the river last summer. Had no idea where to launch, so I did a little driving around. There are some pretty scary looking ramps, but I found one really nice spot on the Kentucky side. I think it is called Watertown. The ramps were new last year, with nice floating docks. This is also a full marina with restaurant, bar and swimming pool. Beware of some of the older looking places, I thought I was going to lose my truck at the one I originally launched at.

HyperDonzi
06-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Scott, Patrol Boat meeting on Thursday.

http://www.cincinnatirace.com/event.html

boldts
06-09-2003, 08:09 PM
OK, so it looks like I need to take Friday off work and come down right from work on Thursday. If I leave work at 4PM, I should be there by 6PM depending on traffic.

Next question is do I need to be in Cincinnati or New Richmond?

Hummmm, maybe I should just come down on Sunday morning for the actual races.

I think Jeff Kash from Dayton is planning to bring his 22ZX. Anyone else? How about ya Cincy guys? I've never been to the river.

bgagne - Thanks for the suggestion. I like the sound of new ramps and docks even if I have to travel back up river to get to the races and it adds driving time to the trip. Might also be less expensive to stay in KY?

boldts
06-10-2003, 08:22 PM
OK, I'm making reservations.

Plans are to leave Friday after work and stay until Sunday afternoon after the races. There is supposed to be a state park launch ramp about 2 - 3 miles before New Richmond on 52.

Tommy, whats your game plan? Do you and your friend have a room in Cincy?

Just got off the phone with Chris Reindl. Chris helped us with AOTH III as a sponsor of our gathering. He said he could use some help from me as a patrol boat during the event. I explained I couldn't be there Thursday evening and he said no problem. Just give him a call when I get in town Friday. Said he has room in the pits to display my Donzi. Said I was welcome to advertise the Midwest Donzi Club and best of all, I'll be right on the race course somewhere with a camera in hand. :D

Anyone else interested in helping out as a patrol boat or anything else, give Chris Reindl a call. (513) 706-3199

boldts
06-12-2003, 12:13 PM
I've made reservations for Friday and Saturday nights. I will be staying at the Motel 6 on Nine Mile Road south east of Cincinnati. If someone needs a bed, I'm traveling single and have a twin Queen bed room. ($39.00) Just would need to add an additional adult and then split the cost.

Plans are to leave right after work on Friday from my downtown offic in Columbus, OH.

Anyone else from OH, MI, IN, KY, TN coming to the races?

Party at Cincinnatian at 7PM and then later at Jump in Cincinnati Friday night. Then at Don Pablo's Saturday night at 7:30PM. Hope to see some of you there or if your touring the pits, stop by and say hello. Depending on when I need to launch the boat to help out with the activities, I should be around a blue and white 22' Classic in the pits.

Hotboat
06-12-2003, 03:54 PM
When is this taking place?

boldts
06-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Happening this weekend Hotboat. June 12 thru 15th. Check out this website for itinerary. :)

Cincinnati Offshore Race (http://www.cincinnatirace.com/event.html)

HyperDonzi
06-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Friend cant go :(

3 spring events i want to attend...Miss all 3 :(

Tommy

boldts
06-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Tommy,

Be at Nationwide Plaza downtown Columbus by 4PM Friday and you can ride down with me. Call me at 677-9344. If I miss your call, leave a message with a number for me to call you!

HyperDonzi
06-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Scott, wont be able to go down today, talking dad into leaving with me Sunday morning, will try to be there by 10am, will find you there.

boldts
06-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Just got home. Maaaaaannnnnn was it great to see the Offshore boats again. Everything didn't go off with-out a hitch, but all in all a fun weekend for me at least. Me being the curious type when it comes to this kind of machinery, I got to see a couple experimental items being used. Just about every boat had Imco Extension boxes on them and if their class rules allowed, they were running shorties also. Only saw 1 other Donzi at the event. It was the 33ZX Daytona with the special flame paint scheme that has been shown on this website a couple times.

Because Beth did not go with me, I got to run the Donzi a little more like she was built to run. Got a lot of comments on how good she looked dancin on the transom as because of recent rains, the river was high and flowing fast. If anyone tries to tell ya that river current doesn't effect GPS speed, tell them they don't know what their talking about. My Donzi was over 70 MPH down river although best upriver was just over 65.

Two weeks until these boats come up to Metro Beach MI. Lets get the Donzi gang together on St.Clair the weekend of the 28th. I just read where you guys have some new FAST company up there in Detroit eek! For those of you who have not met Todd & Jill Somerville, they are good people and they love to enjoy their Classic. I see a number of trips up North in the future. :D

HyperDonzi
06-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Scott, I say you out there before the F2 race when they made us all get off of the dock. You missed it, The dock broke so we had to walk back on rugs and gas tanks to get off the dock!!! I need to talk dad into going down there, then we might have a 50 MPH boat!! That had to be awesome where you were at, thousands of HP coming right at you... Come to Alum this Saturday for fireworks.

Tommy