PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual LA (Lower Alabama) Donzi Roundup

Emmo
05-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Well, it's that time again! I have managed to lay my hands on 15 rooms at Lakepoint Resort on beautiful Lake Eufaula. If these go quickly, I can get a few more, but the catfish rodeo is the same weekend (yeeha!) and the extra rooms are going fast. To make sure that you have a room, call (800) 544-5253 and tell them you are with the Donzi Boat Club. $58/night double and $59 for a king. Forrest and I got the last suite, so we will have a party room in between our bedrooms at no extra charge. For those of you who have stayed at Bagby but not at Lakepoint, Lakepoint is up at the top of the Lake where the slalom is and always has had overnight docking available where Bagby's boat dock was on the beach last year. The water is also not as rough up there.

The rooms are much bigger, although done in Early American Concrete Block style of architecture. http://www.emmette.com/images/donzi/hurl.gif Hurry up and get them while they last!

Check out the resort at Lakepoint Resort web page (http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/parks/lakepoint_1a.html)
http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/parks/statepark_images/park_lakepoint.gif

It is also a lot closer to restaraunts and stores, although you may want to buy your gas in Georgia to save 7-10 cents per gallon.

Greg K
05-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Emmo, is this the the SEADOG Labor Day Weekend (Aug 29-Sept 1)event you speak of ?

Tomahawk
05-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Thank you Emmo. This is where we've had lunch the last two years. It has a nice large parking lot right in front of the rooms and is designed to accomodate boaters. Good deal. :cool:

Emmo
05-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Not so sure about that Greg. This is the event that started it all. We had 4 Donzis at the first and it has grown to 20 last year. Forrest has managed to bring a different boat every year, so he will either have to break tradition or buy another boat. My Mello Yello is the only one that has made every event.

Greg K
05-23-2003, 12:46 AM
Gotcha...I checked the calendar!
This will be my second time and will bring a different boat as well.. :D
Wasn't long after last year's, I sold the 16 and got the 22. Who said I'd be in a 28 by now??

roadtrip se
05-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Time to start looking for more horsepower!

Todd

BigGrizzly
05-23-2003, 07:53 PM
I won't be going fast this year because I'll be breaking in my new motor for the Possum Kingdom event and cutting out the hatch for clearance

Emmo
05-24-2003, 01:12 AM
Grizz- bring the Corsican

Dr. Dan
05-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Guys when is this exactly...I need to see if I can make it....I missed last years due to a scheduling screw up on my part, ....I really want to make this one... :cool: ...Doc

Greg K
05-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Dan,
It's the last weekend in August. Check the event calendar here on the board.

roadtrip se
05-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Reservation made! Now, I'll start rounding up the Texas contingent.

Doc, I reserved 8/29, 30, and 31st. Now show up would ya!

Ted, where the heck are you, I need some upgrading inspiration! Grizzly, too!

Catfish boys ought to really like our trolling motors, not to mention the bass and pontoons boats that bouy boy pissed off last year on the straight line slalom course! So what are the right to carry laws in Georgia any way?

Really looking forward to it!

Todd
"Eufala, home to the spontaneous cookout and one, wicked three bean salad"

Emmo
05-24-2003, 11:20 PM
anybody seen Forrest?

Tomahawk
05-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Reservations made and rounding up the Georgia contingent. Danny - it's labor Day weekend. Todd - in Georgia, most everybody has the right to carry but the Lakepoint, and the slalom course, is on the Alabama side.
See ya in Kentucky on Thursday. BYOB. :cool:

ToonaFish
05-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Does Three Bean Salad count as a concealed weapon?

Bunches,

Celene "I smell a gas leak..."

BUIZILLA
05-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Where can I get more info on this deal...I am 99% sure I can make this one...

J

Last Tango
05-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Emmo is correct about this not necessarily and techinically being a SEADOG's event because this event predates the SEADOG's by a couple years. However, the SEADOG's did spawn from this gathering, and last year it was billed as such.
LAST TANGO is off the trailer and back in the water after 7 months in hybernation. Fresh 100 hr service and she ran 70+ today and smoked several surprised Baja BBC's.
I will make my reservation for this event. Can't see passing up a great weekend like this. Maybe THIS time we will plan our stop at the island better and bring chairs, cooking stuff, and such. Every year we talk about taking stuff to the island for a picnic, but nobody wants to load their boat up with stuff. We stand around nibbling on chips and soda but everyone seems to wish we had a portable grill for hot dogs and burgers. Nobody brings chairs or shade or a table. I'll offer the folding table and a canopy and some folding chairs if we will share the load around the boats. The folding table won't fit in my 18. I have 6 canvas folding chairs. I also have a Donzi cooler for the meat. Somebody jump in here and offer some suggestions on this.

Forrest
05-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Poodle, there is a repo pontoon boat at the credit union next door to where I work that I better go take a look at. If I buy it, the support boat issue will be solved!

See you at Lakepoint Resort State Park (http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/parks/lakepoint_1a.html) for Eufaula V.

----------------
Forrest

How fast is a pontoon boat with twin 300 Mercs?

BigGrizzly
06-07-2003, 07:33 AM
I'm signed up packed and ready (I prepair early). this year my First (and only) Mate made me pack the chairs alredy. Something about no chairs for the last three years.

Tomahawk
06-08-2003, 05:10 PM
I don't remember seeing the cabins at Lake Point. Where are they located? I see the cabins have outdoor grills and there is separate a picnic area with grills, tables, pavillions etc. That may figure into a "3 beans and a nut" deal with an MGD chaser.
Randy, if you look carefully under the front deck of the Criterion, you may already have a couple lawn chairs in there.
Forrest, the owner of Playcraft put a pair of 300's on one of his pontoons and went about 75. The charcoal went everywhere but it was fast!
For island grills, if three or four of us brought along those little disposable, pre-loaded, jobs you get at the grocery store, that ought to do it. Small, neat and clean. Of course, if you would rather not eat hot dogs in the sand, the restaurant at Bagby is about 10 minutes away. What ever, we'll be there. Sea Dogs unite at Eufaula!

Forrest
06-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Tom, the cabins are really nice. They're located in the not-all-that-rough, dimly-lit, away-from-everthing-else section of the park where you can buy "used" outdrives, props, and Holley carbs for some really cheap prices. To get the "deal", look for an old beat-up Ford van with a couple of scruffy looking guys and tell 'em that Emmo sent you. :D :D

This year I hear that they may be having a deal on a TRS drive and an Imco lower unit late Monday afternoon. eek!

Bigbroadjumper
06-12-2003, 04:38 PM
I want to come, but my wife said "we just went to one of those things". And we don't even have a Donzi anymore. So it looks like I may have to tell her I am going out for some "bread and milk" and just go by myself. But first I need to replace the engine in my truck. Dodge gave me a price of $17,880.06 for engine and trans. :confused: eek! :mad:

Forrest
06-13-2003, 02:54 PM
The old "bread and milk" will work . . and when you get back Monday night, tell her that you were abducted by aliens for the weekend. Remember, there's always room on someone's Donzi.