PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Northwest Donzi Club.

Formula Jr
01-15-2002, 05:23 AM
In its infancy, this club, consisting of four members, really ought to define it's self and set up some gatherings. I like the idea of an Island run. But we're still in the Lake Wash. mode. Maybe next year we can expand this. With more boats we can travel further, see more stuff. It's all about backup.

Lets make a club guys, cause the Sound is too interesting to pass by. I want to see all of it.

As far and few between as Donzis are here, can there be an effort to bring it all together? I know some have tried. There is this "I'm on my own." NorthWest kind of mentality, that I - being a southern boy- don't completely understand. But Hey, lets make this happen. Let's do this and make the Florida Guys wonder about how enchanting the PNW can be.....the Sound is our other Bay.

oldLenny
01-15-2002, 10:04 AM
OK...

EricG
01-15-2002, 10:20 AM
I agree Owen....us geographically challenged Donzi owners need to get things a little more organized. Heck, sounds to me like if we get a big enough Puget Sound run going, Forrest may come up to be guest speaker biggrin.gif , He could tell us what it's like to own Donzi's where people don't think of them as those noisy "I-talian" boats....

Anyway, let's start with a few of the NW days that probably aren't good. The first weekend in August is Seafair, which is a lot of fun, but probably a little too hectic to try to plan a gathering around. And the weather is always so iffy until mid July, it'd be risky to plan a big gathering before that....but other than those two considerations - we really ought to be able to plan just about any time.

So what do we want to try for? We know we have the Scramarama around Labor Day in Lk. Wash....And we know we want to try for the Sound -do we plan on the Islands, or just the Inland Sound (Poulsbo, Bainbridge Island, Whidbey....etc). Your right, there are just so many options!! Last Fall I launched in Everett and ran down to Elliott Bay, cruised around the Seattle Waterfront and ran back to Everett - It was a great trip, and really only took about 4 hours....so it is possible to do quite a bit of the sound in a weekend.

Let's keep this thread going....

EG

Formula Jr
01-16-2002, 05:45 AM
I wish the weather had not been so nasty when I was on Camano Is. I originally wanted to run all the way to Seattle. I don't have a firm grasp of the distances and time. Eventually, I would really like a tour of the whole lower sound. My memory of the sound is 20 years out of date, so some of the places I'm thinking of may be quite different now. When I get some time, I'll look closer at the charts I bought.

oldLenny
01-16-2002, 10:32 AM
...just under 2 hours from Victoria, (Inner Harbour) to Seattle by boat. (decent boat going 35-40mph) Hard to pick the right day though. All of these places are easily reachable, and in a gathering it wouldn't be so dis-concerting out "on the sea alone with 4" of freeboard". GPS is a must as far as I am concerned. Keep in mind that at mid-point on MANY of these destinations you can't see land for 15 minutes or so. Strong tides and unforseen navigational hazards (reefs) really get the adrenaline going. I have been somewhat "lost" before in the Strait and my navigation aid (binoculars) are useless in a sea. Ever tried to look at a skyline for familiarities in a place you have never been, never seen by water, all the while moving up and down and back and forth in the ocean? Never again for me thank you. GPS and a cell phone (with other carrier roaming access) are a must as far as I am concerned.

I must say, you did VERY well last Summer in trying to get to Victoria(Sidney), from Camano Island. That was a long distance, you repeatedly went through one of the most hazardous passages around here (Deception Pass), (a place worthy of its own web site, best passage times and yearly navigation plotting, currents, tide and chop level reporting) and proceded on the unprotected side (Southeast)of San Juan Island into the Juan de Fuca Strait.

All this in a 16' boat, little freeboard, a broken trim tab and a dog...

Yeah!!!...this will be fun. Now, tho, I will be the "Non-Donzi owner" as you will be in the GT. I'll have to get you to sell that and get back into the Formula so I am not alone on this one.

Formula Jr
01-17-2002, 03:30 AM
well, the dog helped..........

A club here would be the best thing to happen, cause, Len you're right, I looked out on the Strait and my first thought was. "Man it would be so cool" to just run right out in the middle of all this. But then the whole - "Hey stupid! you are on your own and don't know where the hell you are" kicked in. I tend to listen to that voice.
But in a group, it isn't so important. Two boats lost is infinitly more safe than one boat lost. When the Sound is calm, it is magic. Just the idea of four boats; running out of land sight, cross the open Sound is fantastic. Can you guys see this; four a breast, major air, enroute.... to distant ports.

EricG
01-17-2002, 11:23 AM
I love the image Owen! biggrin.gif

I've taken the trip from Everett to Bellingham a few times (through the LaConner Channel), but I've never actually gone past that into the strait....sounds very interesting.

I took our 28' "Mass Produced, questionably made, entry level" boat through Deception pass about 12 years ago, scared me to death....can't we just go around? wink.gif

EG

Formula Jr
01-17-2002, 02:19 PM
You mean take the kiddie route to Anacortes? You know, I saw all the channel markers and yet, I still didn't realize there was an easy path around the Pass behind Fidalgo Is. I can't rememeber if Jeff told the story during the Kirkland lunch, of him following a Bertram in a cabin cruiser thru Deception. He said, it was weird when just past Pass Island, the Bertram disappeared, and he then realized it had dropped into a 12 foot falls trough, and all you could see was the trolling poles above the water, and he knew his turn was next......... tell the story again Jeff. Please... biggrin.gif

Blewbyu
01-17-2002, 04:05 PM
Whoooeee-that was a treat!!!A westerly blowing in from Rosario Straight,and a 13K bull ebb going out (straight into the wind).Bertram 31 it was...doing about 20k (plus the 13k tide)westbound.We were in a 26' Chris Cavalier Express about 400 ft behind the Bertram using his wake to help stay away from the whirlpools.Bertram dropped out of sight right under the Deception bridge,huge spray erupted and only the tips of his outrigger poles showing.My 1 year daughter was asleep in the Vee bunk-hollered at my bride to get there to hold her down-and at that moment we ejected off the 12' overfall where the outbound tide was meeting the inbound wind.the Pass is only about 150 ft wide there.We nearly "pitchpoled" as the boat was bow down when we hit.Tore the anchor off the foredeck,removed the horn and spotlt off the house,tore the hatchcover off the foredeck,bent the rail,etc as we plowed into 4 8-10' breaking waves-each one STOPPED the boat.As we are fighting for our lives-we look about 30 ft to our left (South)to see 3 12-14' cartopper boats fishing in FLAT CALM water!!!Oh,the anomalies of Deception Pass!!!Spent 2 days in Friday Harbor repairing what damage we could.Lesson here-run the Pass at CLOSE TO or AT slack tide when the wind is blowing from the West!!!
We have cruised from Seattle to well north of Campbell River and Desolation sound for over 35 years,and have been in every gunkhole in the San Juans/Gulf islands and the B.C. mainland shore at least 4 times each.Have done all the inlets (Bute,etc) where no one else goes,and have cruised South Puget Sound extensively.We always lived on the anchor, very seldom dockside at resorts (Exception-Roche Hbr every year for 2 days for the kids).We really know the areas,and any time one of you guys are contemplating a cruise in these areas-gimmee a call and I'll tell you where the rocks really are-and what buoys are misplaced,where to get a really good burger,and where there SPECTACULAR and uninhabited camping spots.We DO need to get (even an informal)Donzi club going in the Northwest I agree.Unfortunately I,m not an organizer,nor can I build a good campfire.We can sure have any meets at our beach tho!Guess we need to arrange a git-together.....lets see if the spring finds us able to have a meet.Mebbe the "Covert" guy from Victoria with the fabled bench seat X-18 could attend with progress report.....does it really exist????Man, I wanna see pics......
Regret I haven't been watching this thread 'til today.....need to be more alert. tongue.gif

Blewbyu
01-17-2002, 04:21 PM
Note-Though Deception Pass can be dangerous,it's a cakewalk in a fast boat as long as you DO YOUR HOMEWORK on tides and watch the weather forecast for winds.It's intimidating any time except slack tide-but if ya "run the center",you'll normally be ok.Need to watch for "drift" in there too (as in "driftwood"),as the stuff can pop out of the whirlpools eek.gif That usually in the spring runoff of the Skagit or during winter flooding of the other rivers around there.

Blewbyu
01-17-2002, 04:39 PM
BTW-The "kiddy route" is a real pain if the tide is between slacks.There is an 8K speed limit in the Laconner Slough (all the way from the inner marker you saw,to the North end of the slough on Padilla Bay),and midtides,the channel can have a 6-7K current.If you are running against the tide,guess your "over the bottom" speed?
Suggestion 2.When Northbound from Camano Island,dont leave the channel markers to head for the Eastern shore inner markers at the Slough entrance-you will very soon find yourself in 6" of water.Most disconcerting.Nice,soft,STICKY mud tho...... mad.gif

Formula Jr
01-17-2002, 06:36 PM
Fantastic Story!!!! First time you told it, I was just trying to comprehend what must have been going thru your mind when the Bertram "Disappeared." I'm sure it was something like, "Holy Sh....... biggrin.gif

Eric, you know more about the sound than I. What do you suggest would be a good day run from say, Seattle?

MXRoadster
01-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Well I don't want to miss out on a gathering this year, so lets make the count of at least five boats. I'll be up for a meet on Lk. Washington or for a trip out on the Sound. I haven't been north of Mukilteo on the Sound, so Eric and Jeff have the wisdom there. As of now the third weekend in July is the only weekend that will not work for me, I'll be doing a Eastern Wa. trip for some boating fun.

David

Blewbyu
01-18-2002, 07:12 PM
I'm usually up at Pend Oreille Lake in Idaho the first 2 wks in August,often last week in July in exceptional weather-so those be not good for me.I usually take mid July-Labor Day for vacation,so that I take advantage of the best weather.

Blewbyu
01-18-2002, 07:26 PM
Owen-Day runs from Seattle mostly SUCK(with possible exception of Blake Island)-because the wind starts kicking up about 10 AM,and generally increases 'till about 1:30-2:00-then holds its velocity 'till sundown.Short, sharp chop is the uncomfortable plan for the day.Day runs best from more protected water-notably South Sound.If you launch EARLY in the AM (just after dawn)at the Slag Pile launch ramp in Tacoma-you can do ALL of South Sound that you want before 5PM in a fast boat.You WILL find someplace there where you will WANT to overnite tho-I'd plan 2 days minimum-and you'll be in flat/near flat water 95% of the time.AND- there's very little boat traffic, even in busiest months.All the folks who moor in S. Sound-head for the San Juans or farther North in July and August.Usually good fishing off the Slag Pile-most dependable producer of the South end.

ToonaFish
01-18-2002, 08:54 PM
Y'all are completely insane.

"Ejected off the 12' overfall where the outbound tide was meeting the inbound wind."

Extreme boating. Yep, I can see it now.

Bunches,
Celene 'sending Daisies to your funeral'

Formula Jr
01-19-2002, 04:11 AM
The Weekends of 2002

April
6/7
13/14
20/21 - Jr Leaves for MD
27/28

May
4/5
11/12 AOTH
18/19
25/26 - Jr returns to PNW

June
1/2
8/9
15/16
22/23
29/30

July
6/7 - EricG and Kathy go to Daytona
13/14 - MX Goes to Idaho
20/21
27/28

August
3/4 - Seafair BlewbyU Goes out of town.
10/11 - Tahoe Woodie Show
17/18 - BlewbyU gets back
24/25

Aug/Sept
31/1/2 Labor Day Scramarama Lk Washington
7/8
14/15
21/22
28/29

Last two weeks in June?

EricG
01-19-2002, 10:51 AM
I was just looking at your schedule thinking the same thing Owen....Later half of June looks pretty good...I'm heading for Daytona in Early July (the Pepsi 400 is on Kathy's B-day, so we had to go!) - but I'll definitely be around and availible in June!! I've never done the south sound, but my dad spent summers in Olympia on the bay (he's got some great "who's chicken" type stories from down there), so I'm sure he'd be joining in on a South Sound trip too!

Jeff, I haven't been up north for awhile, would a Everett or Anacortes launching point work for an island run, or do you think its a little choppy in the summer?

This is so exciting! biggrin.gif

EG

Formula Jr
01-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Well, then. The last two weeks of June - either a South Sound Run, or an Island Run. Doing both will stretch me alittle thin as the SCRAMARAMA takes first choice known event. If an Island Run, we can pick up or meet Len up at Anacortas. If a South Sound Run, he'll have to find his way to Tacoma. I don't know where the Slag Pile Launch is (Rusten?) - I just know about the Point Defience Ramp and the Old Tacoma ramp on Commencement Bay.

Toonafish, if I or anyone else, get hurt doing stuff like this - and I think everyone who will agree with this, understands that it is better than the alternatives... The Sound is extremely beautiful and extremely harsh. And I don't understand her yet. The Chesapeake, I know her patterns, what too look for, and where to hide. The Sound, I always held in awe. Its bigger, more powerful than what I'm use too.

I drive cross country at least twice a year... Its far more dangerious than anything you can face on the water. Cause on the water, its YOUR fault if you get killed. On the road, after double lane passing 250,000 cars, Its just odds. By the way, I like White Roses. wink.gif

The Sound has Stories to tell. Stories that match anything from the rest of the world.

This club will define these new stories.

ToonaFish
01-20-2002, 06:30 AM
White roses it is!

Seriously, PNW sounds incredible, but you guys take care now, y'hear?

And bumper to bumper Lake Allatoona on a Saturday afternoon might blow your "who's fault caused the boating accident" theory! But we all take calculated risks... when an idiot horse kicks my face in, I'd like Daisies.

Bunches,
Celene 'thinking "Who's Chicken On The Left Coast Club" has a ring to it'

Formula Jr
01-20-2002, 11:47 AM
Daisies it is, Celene.
Bunches biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

oldLenny
01-22-2002, 11:39 AM
...a travelling I go, to make these meet(s) if possible. Looking forward to it. I'll pray for sunshine,clear skies and a "light chop".

EricG
02-01-2002, 06:13 PM
I didn't want the thread to die....I did some recon in preparation for June....

http://www.donzi.net/photos/egudgel10.jpg

EG

jon v don z
02-06-2002, 12:14 AM
I am always struck about how the water and surroundings of the San Juans reminds me of Lake Winnipesaukee. I'm not a salt water boater, lakes and rivers for me. If you consider a meet in fresh water (Columbia River, Yale Lake, Lake Merwin in Portland area) that would be something. Not as exciting as the big water, but kinda special...just let her rip in plain sight and at the base of Mt. St. Helens on Yale Lake. Just don't kamikaze on the stump patch.

Forrest
02-06-2002, 04:33 PM
All my boating in the PNW has been done from the deck of one of the many ferries like the one in that great picture posted above. I would bet that picture was taken from a spot near the lighthouse on San Juan Island. That part of the world is a truly an awesome place. Furthermore, I think you guys have everyone else in the country beat when it comes to rough water. After crossing the Juan de Fuca Strait from Port Angeles to Victoria in the big ship-like ferry that runs between those two ports and getting bounced around on it, I said to myself, "this ain't no place for any size classic Donzi." I'm sure the water must be smoother at times, but I bet most of the time it's damn rough. I remember watching a thirty-some-odd foot Scarab getting bounced around like a cork, not a half-mile off the cost of BC as this crazy captain tried for a minute or so to keep up with the ferry leaving Victoria. Not a chance! But at the same time, the water will be as smooth as in the picture above at the San Jauns. I know, I seen it. Also, while I was there (August '96), I took an Orca whale watch trips on a forty-some-odd foot aluminum boat out of Friday Harbor. I don't know where we were exactly without pulling out a chart, which I have somewhere, but the water had fast currents around the islands, was extremely clear, and incredibly deep - by anyone's standards. BTW, we did see lots of Orcas. Well worth the $45 price of admission. But hay, you guys know all of this stuff!

Sounds like it would be a great place to hold a Donzi event!

Formula Jr
02-06-2002, 05:10 PM
The Pic looks alittle more like Elliot Bay with Alki point and then the west shore line. Eric probably took it from his office at sun set. These ferries are real magic sometimes. I use to do the Bainbridge Island run all the time, and just imagine this.... low fog, cool air, Rainer (Tahoma) and the Olympics frame the distance. The ferry gives off its two blasts to leave port - blasts so loud and deep they jiggle your insides. You're out of the car and climb up to the top deck. You feel the acceleration of the enormous engines. And while up there, a man begins to play Bag Pipes while you unfurl your kite......

EricG
02-06-2002, 08:09 PM
Good Call Owen....unfortunately that was taken from my Boss's office, I'm on the South East side, looking towards Bellevue, but I do get the sunrises over the mountains, so it's not that bad wink.gif

I rode over to Bainbridge today for a meeting, WOW, It was as rough as I've ever seen it - the 420' by 85' ferry was rolling a good 4+ feet side to side, wouldn't have been fun in a small boat. I'm going back over tomorrow, I'll try to get a picture, it's pretty increadible...

Just being out there though, I can't wait to get back into the salt, there's just so much more to be explored!

-EG

Formula Jr
02-06-2002, 10:14 PM
What the PNW does, all the time, is ask the question, "Are you large enough for this place?"

Alot of times I put that question to rest, thinking what the heck, it's just water.

Can we plan on a South Sound trip first? Based in Tacoma. And then work up to the big stuff-- Next year? Run the strate and islands later when we know each other. Like I said, one day we're gonna run the open Sound. And That will be fantastic. But let's take some smaller steps first before we run open Sound. South Sound you just have deal with the tides, not the other stuff.

EricG
02-07-2002, 08:54 AM
I like that plan, South Sound it is....

I've been wanting to put a depth sounder in my boat anyway, I think this is a good excuse.

The wind is really blowing this AM, so the ferry ride should be a good one!

-EG

Formula Jr
02-09-2002, 03:32 AM
Can I see a thumbs up or down member count on South Sound based in Tacoma June 22th or 29th somewhere? Any ideas on cool areas? Trying to be democratic here, otherwise I'll just pencil out an interary that makes no freaken sense at all. biggrin.gif

This looks to be a three port trip. Inner run of Fox Island (port), Inner run for McNell and Anderson, round Hartstene Island, Olympia as Mid-Destination (port), Back thru Nisqually Reach, Inner side of Ketron Island, back thru the narrows to launch (port) and Dinner? About 84 land miles round trip. Or do we want a two day thingy. My mode of travel is to find a campground with a ramp and then base there. Does anyone know of a good south sound (south of the Narrows) Campground with a good ramp? Kopachuck does'nt look to have a ramp.

Blewbyu
04-05-2002, 11:39 PM
Forrest-you probably went South out of Friday Harbou,and cranked to the stbd to continue up the west side of San Juan Island, past Lime Kiln Point, etc, and thru Mosquito Pass into Roche Hbr.The Orcas are almost always on that side about 0900/1300 daily.There's a whopper Orca in the J pod with a notched dorsal fin,that is a real showoff!He'll sneak up and suddenly surface right alongside your LITTLE boat(about half his length),and look right in your eyes with an eyeball about the size of the bottom of a 2lb coffee can!Sometimes he'll rub the side of your boat.Then....he BLOWS-and seems real tickled at the confusion as you try to avoid the cascade of rancid water.Then he'll usually pull forward 'till his tail is RIGHT NEXT to your boat, and SOUND (dive) by slapping his tail on the surface to drive his nose down.He KNOWS that this will half-fill yer lil' boat,and often will do it twice before diving just for effect.A real clown.But the intelligence in that eye is astounding!!!You feel like your very soul is bared when he looks you in the eye!Ya gotta have a camera to prove it to your friends. eek!

Blewbyu
04-05-2002, 11:48 PM
SOMEWHERE, I have a whole flock of 'Orca Experience' pics, and pics of a baby seal that 'adopted'our daughter and her rubber raft.Several of the Orca pics are of Ol' Notchfin' doing his thing alongside our last Whaler.....his eye nearly touching the gunnel.If I can round 'em up and get someone to scan them for me, I'll post. eek!

Blewbyu
04-06-2002, 12:00 AM
Owen-Having a brain fart, and temporarily can't remember the name of it, but on the west side of Hartstene Island is the BEST state park facility I have ever used.Super clean,immaculate.Campsites with firepits, excellent protected moorage at a float or on buoys (they charge for both,separately from camping).Great central place-gas up for the return at Grapeview,just a couple miles north of Hartstene.It is usually nearly empty in June and September, but June is often a bit 'clammy', as you know.Raingear is a must.
I GOT IT...Jarrells Cove is da place.Superb.

Blewbyu
04-19-2002, 11:04 PM
Eric-Anacortes for sure,for best launch facility and shortest run thru protected water to the Islands.The State Park Launch is just past the ferry dock as you are westbound out of Anacortes proper.BIG prep area,good approach to launch (from the prep area),2 lanes each side of float(launch on the east,retrieve on the west).About 2 miles North to protected water, or 6 miles west across Rosario Pass to Obstruction Pass (ferry route)that is always lumpy-even on windless days-can develope serious chop (6' and higher) with 20K or higher winds from South or West.But...best route to more developed part of Islands (Orcas and Friday Hbr. on San Juan). :D :D