PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the Ozarks Donzi get together

Lrry D
01-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Lake of the Ozarks Donzi get together !!!

what can i do to help make this work ?

i live in KC but i have a place at the lake on the 11mm .... smile.gif

33 Daytona
01-07-2002, 05:24 AM
Donzislsman lives down there and is putting this together but have not heard anything from him in a while. I think its a great Idea. I offered to help with this also, I'm in Omaha. Did you hear about this from the Donzi girl post?

donzislsman
01-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Hey guys!

Sorry about the delay, I have been on vacation. Been constantly thinking about this and ways to make it a great event. I will be gone this week for the Kansas City boat show, but will be back a week from today. If you would please list some of your ideas and thoughts and what you would like this event to include. You can call me anytime at the marina as well(800-557-1350).

Barry

donzislsman
01-07-2002, 10:35 AM
Hey guys we are currently looking at the weekend following Memorial Day, which would be May 31st(Friday) through June 2nd(Sunday). Thought maybe there would be less traffic on the water, but still plenty of people to have a good time. Please let me know what you think.

Barry cool.gif

Lrry D
01-07-2002, 10:44 AM
ya i got it off the Donzi girl post wink.gif

Lrry D
01-07-2002, 11:07 AM
" WARNING "
For those of you who happen to have the smaller boat's
" the ones i like so much "
your finesse of rough water WILL BE TESTED ...
smile.gif

33 Daytona
01-07-2002, 12:25 PM
The dates sound good to me.

I think a poker run in the afternoon to the big bars would be great fun. And of course Sat and Sunday Party cove. Other than that I have no other ideas except having a bar night calendar pointing out which bars are the hopping bars to be at on certain nights. Since the bar scene is so night specific down there.

33 Daytona
01-07-2002, 12:29 PM
oh, what about our own mini "Bud Shootout"? Does anyone have a radar gun?

Lrry D
01-07-2002, 01:40 PM
I might have a radar gun .

ClassicRazorback
01-07-2002, 09:55 PM
I live in N.W. Ark. I am up for what ever.
Last year when I was at the Shootout I drove thru all the boats at idle and when I got all the way down to the start line something in my drive broke. So I got to be towed all the way back through all the cool boats to a marina.
My brother and I had a blast!!
I was hoping to see more classics. The only ones that I saw were my 22 and a red 16.
I have wanted a 22 classic for over 15 years and counting mine I have only seen 2 in my life. That red 16 is the only one of those I have seen also.
Looking forward to this event!!!!!!!

later chris

David O
01-08-2002, 07:09 AM
donzislsman
I think AOTH II is being planned for May 9th-14th.
Two events that close together in location and dates would probably cut into the attendance of both. AOTH should be for the opening of summer and set up the Ozarks around Labor Day for the end of the summer.

donzislsman
01-08-2002, 07:56 AM
David O,

That is a good point and one we thought of. I guess we weren't really expecting a large turnout from people outside the general area, maybe we were not being optimistic. If there is going to be a larger turnout with a lot of the same people as AOTH then I fully understand the changing of dates. The end of the year is good around here. We could not do it on Labor Day on this lake, way too crazy. Also, the weekend before Labor Day is the annual Bud Shoot-out at Shooter's, a great time, but in my opinion not the best weekend for what we are trying to do. Maybe the week before that. Let me know guys(28zx and Lrry D, etc...), I am off to the first boat show of the season today, but I will do my best to watch this thread. Talk to you all later.

Barry

MikeMiller
01-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Hey everyone,

Been a long time since I've had a chance to get online with all of you.

I ahev been waiting until our dealer, Lake Port, has had some time to thin of a get together in the Lake of th Ozarks, so I am happy to see they have brought it up.

I will be there in full force!

Barry, call me and lets arrange things.

Last Tango
01-08-2002, 10:21 PM
Depending on the final date you pick, I want to attend. I have heard a lot of good things about this location for various events.
Mike Miller...THE BIG QUESTION...will there be another factory shindig this year, and if so, when?
Mark cool.gif

MikeMiller
01-11-2002, 03:06 PM
You can count on another factory shindig!! When? Just don't know yet.

Rest assured, everyone will be informed!

Lrry D
01-13-2002, 02:40 PM
i was on the water last Tuesday it was great rode the See-Doo to four seasons and back no wind no waves to bad i didn't have the boat !

roadtrip se
01-15-2002, 06:04 PM
Hey Barry,

We would make the trip up there from Texas, if you plan it for later in the summer. Two boats, a 22 and a 16 Classic. We are already confirmed for the AOTH2, but the Ozarks would be of definite interest to us in late summer. Put it together and they will come, just ask Scott Boldt!

Good luck at the shows, Todd

boldts
01-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Like Roadtrip said, organize it and they will come. I'd like to be there especially if it's done near the end of summer. I've never been on that lake and am always look-in to try out a new adventure. It would be a good opportunity to see if The Midwest Donzi Club would be interested in holding AOTH III at Lake of the Ozarks. Several club members have suggusted holding our gathering at different lakes.

Rob
01-15-2002, 10:58 PM
There is no doubt that the Lake of the Ozarks would be a fun time, but we do need to plan this carefully if those in 16's and 18's are going to enjoy it. I'll admit I have not been to a lot of different lakes, but I can tell you I haven't seen anything like this anywhere short of the the coasts. The fact that it is not controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers and is essentially a privately run lake has resulted in development (read on-the-water bars and resturants) that you would never see at a Corps controlled lake.

I take my 16 there several times a year, and I can tell you that anything from the 21 (or even 30) mile marker to the dam is at best a mess, and at worse dangerous for a a 16 or 18 on the weekends in season. You really have to witness the boat wakes to believe it. However from the 30 mile marker down on either the Osage or Niangua arms can be pretty manageable. We really need to pick times appropriately and plan out where we go when.

Donzislsman, I would be happy to help out with planning for this event if you think you need it. I would really like to put something together that would draw as many out of state folks as possible, because I really think they would enjoy what Lake of the Ozarks has to offer.

donzislsman
01-17-2002, 02:33 PM
Hey guys!

This is the struggle with this event. In my opinion I do not want to invite everyone to a lake I love, but not be able to show them all parts of it. Do not get me wrong I agree with most of you that the water is carzy and would be very hard for some of the classics to handle, but if you are going to have an event at the lake of the ozarks you must see parts of the lake where the water is really rough. You could always have it the first weekend after labor day, but then you do not get the true effect of the ozarks and all the boats down here(many people put their boats up right after labor day). Some people have mentioned party cove, but in order to have fun their it must be between Memorial Day and Labor Day and you definately have to go through some of the roughest water in north america to get their. There is always the idea of exploring the rough end of the lake in the early hours, before all the traffic, but you can't always guarantee when that is going to be. Right now it looks like we are shooting for the end of the summer, but it si yet to be determined if that is before or after labor day. Let me know what you think and for all of those you have offered help, we would certainly appreciate it once things are a little more solid.

Barry cool.gif

Team Jefe
02-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Being a new member of the Registry, and "Outside the General Area" I'd love to attend. Also, I have family in Van Buren who have been trying to get me up there for a few years now. So, I could kill two birds with one weeks vacation. Just set the time and we're there. That is if y'all can tolerate a big ZF amongst all the classics.

JEFE

Revenge is a dish best served...WET !

Last Tango
02-02-2002, 09:45 PM
I'm just curious about all the comments about the roughness of the water. I would be bringing my 2001 Classic 18. I have run in 50 boat poker runs where I was by far the smallest boat and the big boys REALLY churned up the water pretty badly in front of me on a large body of open water with windy conditions that had 2-3 foot chop with crossing waves BEFORE the start. I made the Donzi Factory Sarasota Gathering last fall, and the water on Tampa Bay was extremely rough then too, and 40 boats running together churned it up even more. I survived all that without little difficulty. Are you saying it is worse than that?
Mark cool.gif

33 Daytona
02-03-2002, 11:20 AM
Last tango,

If you survived those conditions you will be ok on an off week at the Ozarks, but if you ever get there over a holiday weekend, then yes the conditions are worse!

Here is my two cents about the date on this thing, I don't mind this being at the end of the summer but I would like to see it still in August. After August i'm afraid Party Cove wont be very exciting and that is the reason this whole thing got started a couple of mths ago. But here before to long we are going to have to set a date because more and more people seem to be interested. I think its great eveyone from Florida to Texas to Ohio are planning to come!

Ozarkboater
02-05-2002, 10:30 AM
I would think all of you would be allright to do this the weekend before the Shoot out. That way like Barry says there will still be alot of action at the lake. Don't worry about getting a schedule of the bar scene. Barry should have that covered. I guess that is my vote, for what it is worth.

my .02

Cramer

Barry let me know what you need me to do.

Lrry D
02-25-2002, 10:17 PM
i'v been away for awhile now i'm back and i agree the weekend before the Shoot out would be a good time to hold this thing .

Mark Albers
02-25-2002, 11:02 PM
Donzi Aficionados :rolleyes:

As former resident of the "Show Me State"
The Lake of the Ozarks is great place if you pilot a thirty footer
My dad has a 26' Mariah and he dosent take it out on the weekedns (wakes are 3 to 5 ')

The party cove is a hell of a place (girls gone wild meets mardigria)
Dont be suprised if you people screwing right out in the open (I think they have web site)

Anyway the local Donzi dealer dosent even stock any classics

Back Water Jacks is a cool hang out
with great food and music

I would recomed you cruise on a Monday and party on the weekends

Mark :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the facory & far from a dream)

mjpcowboy
02-27-2002, 11:28 AM
We will be there anytime you want to have it. The water is always rough even some of the light traffic days, but it can be managed. Will this be an all classic rally or do some others plan on running in a ZX? If so we have 2 that will be there from Iowa. See you this summer!

Team Jefe
02-28-2002, 04:34 PM
Well We're planning on being there, and I'm running a 30 ZF So don't be shocked. Actually, I'm looking forward to some good wave action The Revenge & Mrs. JEFE love to get some good air. All we need is a Date.

OK Mizzou boys "Show Me" the Date !

JEFE

Revenge Is A Dish Best Served...WET !

Last Tango
03-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Sooooo...the date of this event is when?
Mark :cool:

33 Daytona
03-22-2002, 07:16 AM
Is this idea dead?

donzislsman
03-22-2002, 10:24 AM
It is not dead as far as the responses we have all seen on this site, but unfortunately myself and our dealership would like to take a little bit of a step back and kind of let you guys organize it. We would love to be a host site or host marina, but we have quickly realized our little amount of free time would hinder what we could do to make this event a great one. If we can help by working through or with Donzi than I believe we would be more than willing, just let us know. We would all certainly love to see a Donzi organized event here at the Lake, so keep us informed. Just to let you know we are probably having our annual Donzi Days here at the marina and I will keep you all informed of teh dates and events scheduled. Thanks.

Barry

Secret F233
03-22-2002, 04:40 PM
Man and I just found it well the www.funlake.com (http://www.funlake.com) & www.ozarkpartycove.com (http://www.ozarkpartycove.com) site's should show you plenty places to stay & photos of what to expect except the water. My famly has a 43' by 13'9"w all steel RiverQueen houseboat & at 22 tons it gets tossed around like crazy on holidays the fridge is tied off & tied closed the dishes are flying out of the cabinets hell 2 years ago we lost the BBQ pit of the top deck scrreeech right into the lake. It's not like the ocean where the waves have patterns you'll get blindsided they just bounce back & forth across the channel like a bath tub just building & building untill you get Hammerd By a couple of 5'ers one on the side & one on the bow it gets wild we don't let guest walk around outside on the catwalks becouse of rouge waves my little sister was washed overboard one year For REAL on the houseboat's rear deck we took a wave over the sternside & washed her 75lbs ass right off the boat!! It's mainly the plaining Aftcabins & searay 400+'s that raise all the heck & with one of the highest consentration of slips per mile in noth America its a site to behold on a holiday!!!! now 2 weeks after the 4th or something would be OK it is truly a remarkable body of water All the boat bar & resturant hoping you could ever want. lets DO THIS!!!

I'll always have the Riverqueen on the water we could leave it in the back of a cove as a base station for BBQ, bathrooms, Shade & A/C for de women & what not besides you know what they say its beter to cove out than pull out!!!!!

Lets look into A new date someone anyone??????????

RPD
03-22-2002, 08:48 PM
Where is the Lake of the Ozarks? I've heard of it before but don't know where it is. I've never boated on a lake before... how does it compare to the coast?

Secret F233
03-25-2002, 09:01 AM
Central Missouri check out the links in the previous post I reminds me of the Fla. keys with foothills!!!! :cool:

www.odd.net/ozarks/ (http://www.odd.net/ozarks/)

http://odd.net/ozarks/lakecam/

www.funlake.com (http://www.funlake.com)

www.ozarkpartycove.com (http://www.ozarkpartycove.com)

We get 9-10 months of useable lake time. Well it's year round for the hard core guys :mad: !!!

Team Jefe
03-26-2002, 02:45 PM
OK folks this is getting way confusing :confused: . I thought we had a pretty good consensus on the weekend before the Shootout (Aug 16-18,at least I think that's it). Now that all seems confused.

Later in the summer seems better due to all the traffic mid-summer and around the holidays. Also, a week before a big event might mean a little less traffic on the water. I'm not concerned about the REVENGE, We can handle any chop the lake can dish out...but with all the classics, less traffic, small chop is better.

I'd love to help orgainze, but I'm 800 miles away and not, at all, familiar with the lake or the area.

PLEASE, someone close grab the ball and choose a date. I'm sure Barry and the Marina will help :D .

JEFE

Revenge Is A Dish Best Served...WET !

Team Jefe
04-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Well.....I see I really got y'all fired up !

Assuming this thing is going to happen at some poin this summer. Can anyone provide me with Hotel names/locations on the lake close to...well, close to a marina I could use for the REVENGE and in the neighborhood of areas where the event might take place. Like I said, I know nothing about the lake, but really would like to be involved in this event.

JEFE

Revenge Is A Dish Best Served...WET!

33 Daytona
04-01-2002, 10:55 AM
RobinsResort.com

It's kind of low rent but how much time do you spend in your room anyhow. They have great slips there is gas right across the way and its real close to party cove. Also check out http://www.lakeozark.com/lodging.html for other lodging. Road HH is a popular spot and is in the middle of everything.

mjpcowboy
04-05-2002, 10:40 AM
You really want to stay between the 13 and 22 mile marker on the lake. If you look at funlake.com it lists several hotels and condo's you can rent. Compass Point and Idle Days are very close to the Donzi dealership. Ask about the docks and how well they are protected from the main body of water, after all the dock is the most important thing!!!

kingair
04-08-2002, 06:31 PM
We are in!!!! Let us know when and where and we will be there.
Kingair's profile (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=29)

kingair
04-09-2002, 01:40 PM
I talked to Vickie... She is sooo excited!!!! we thought that we were land locked here in Kansas...hehehe

email me @ pking@rehrigpacific.com

DonCig
07-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Having grown up on the Lake of The Ozarks, I feel that I must tell you that there are only two times of the year that you can usually expect beautiful weather, the rest of the year it is usually miserable/or very unpredictable.
I moved to Colorado from the Lake. If you want to play the odds go to the Lake the last two weeks of June and the first two weeks of October and you are all but guaranteed some beautiful weather. After July 1st it goes to 99 degrees and high humidity. For all Donzi owners, forget the weekends on the main channell of the lake during the summer (except for the 38' guys/gals) , but have fun in the side channells on the weekends. On Sunday afternoon thru Friday afternoon the whole 1800 miles of shoreline is made for rippin with your Donzi. The lake has tons of gas/beer docks, hamburger joints, nice restaurants and tequila bars. Most are open 7 days a week so if you can manage to go there during the work week, you will have a lot more fun. I regularly feel unerboated on my dads 26' on the weekend. It has been described as 5' to 7' east coast wave action on the weekends. I would love to see a group meeting at the lake, but please make it on Sun. thru Fri.!

Thanks,

Don Tamm

boldts
07-14-2003, 09:34 PM
I know you all are looking for a date this summer, but after 3 years on Lake Cumberland for the Awakening of the Horses. Some thought is being given to moving AOTH IV a little further West and to check out a new lake for many of those who have attended AOTH I through III.

This year, our gathering was May 29th through June 1st. Next year would fall from May 31st through June 4th or 5th depending on how many days travel everyone had. That would give everyone a weekend on each end for travel.

Moving West may hurt some of the East coast attendance, but I think it might also bring a few more of the West coast and middle North, South Donzi owners to what has been called the National Donzi gathering. As you may know, AOTH has always been about all Donzi models attendance. So, in keeping with that theme, of course all models would again be invited. We've even had and enjoyed a Formula Jr. along with a 20' Cigarette in past years. This year we were graced with a beautiful 27' Magnum.

I've not looked at the websites yet, but has summer in the Midwest begins to wind down, I'll be beginning to plan for AOTH IV. I think if we keep it during the week with weekend action on either end, Lake of the Ozarks could be a fantastic location for AOTH.

Basically since I've never been to the lake, I need 3 or 4 people from the lake area to help me pull this together. You have a Donzi dealer which is an added plus. We'll need to arrange accommodations available in the number of 30 to 40 rooms with room to grow if needed. Then we'll need to contact restaurants and clubs for each night of the week to be ready for 100 + extra guests. All of this will be a pay as you go unless a sponsor would like to pick-up a lunch or dinner for us. Other than that, we would need you locals of the lake to show us what to see and where to go each day. Could be a poker run to 5 different spots on the lake or just a relaxing cruise to different areas every day. Maybe some on land activities for the whole family as I know my wife and daughter would be in attendance with me.

Contact me at: scott@mwdonziclub.com and let's put this together. I can't pick up the ball by myself, put I can surely help get it to the goal line for the team.

DonCig
08-07-2003, 05:26 PM
I would recommend the following lake in the midwest for a rendevous. It has great water and a lot less congestion.
http://www.tablerocklake.com/information/areainfo/

boldts
08-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Don's,

A Jeff Arnold from MO who I have been in contact with about using a Turbo propeller on his 22 Classic also has suggested this lake to me. With it being so close to Branson, MO which is known for their shows. I'm seriously considering the lake for AOTH IV. Just need to find accommodations for 100 + people and 30 to 40 Donzi & other Aronow boats at a marina. Looks like a lake very much like Lake Cumberland only a little further West. Biggest difference between the 2 lakes appears to be the away from the lake attractions for our families.

Haven't begun the planning yet, but I need to get started very soon for next May. How about the rest of our AOTH attendees? Interested in doing a different lake next year? :)

Bigbroadjumper
08-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi Scott, Have Boat will travel! You can expect us at the next event. Lake Cumberland was very nice, but I'm up for a different location.

mjpcowboy
08-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Nothing against Tablerock however it is not near the fun you can have on The Lake of the Ozarks. Many more places to go, eat, see, and sleep on LOTO. I have a lake house at LOTO and would be happy to work with anyone if you have interest in getting someting together. Big Thunder just took over the Donzi dealership last month and I am certain they would like the opportunity for some to promote thier new line. If there is anything I can do, please contact me at rportel@iowaradiology.com

just add water
08-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Is Big Thunder going to be entering the Shootout at LOTO this year? This will be my first year at the Shootout, and I hadn't heard of any Donzi's entering.

I was surprised to hear that Lake Port was no longer going to carry the line. When I called Donzi in the Spring they told me that they were one of their largest dealers in the country.

mjpcowboy
08-11-2003, 09:00 PM
At one time LakePort was the largest Donzi dealer in the country. They parted ways mainly due to warranty issues and the lack of ability to offer good service to their customers. I am interested to see how Big Thunder does selling Skater, Baja and now Donzi. I do not know if Big Thunder will enter their 38ZR in the shootout. Last year I entered my 33ZX and a friend entered his 38ZX. It is a great event with a lot of nice boats.

just add water
08-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Is anyone heading to LOTO for the Shootout? Wasn't sure if there was any Donzi gathering planned.

Sean
08-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Will be at the shootout. Saw many Donzi's last year. Water was too calm to get a great speed during our runs last year. Opted not to enter this year. If anyone passes by, the name on our boat is Uncontrollable Urges II from Des Moines. Wife and Kids will probably be at home as school starts.