PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a get together for next year 1000 Islands

Shanghied Again
09-01-2002, 10:51 AM
I need feed back. After going to the 1000 Islands Poker run I relized with the help from Boxy, That this would be a terrific place to have a Donzi get together! Water so fresh you can see the bottom at 50ft, Miles and Miles of boating, People that love power boats, Very few if any sailboats, Resteraunts on the water every where you turn, Almost every motel has a Marina (With a outside bar)! Boat ramps in every Marina. Alexandria Bay New York seems to be the heart of were we can have the get together, Your choice (Cottages with a Marina or Hotel with a Marina) Alex Bay has a view of the famous Bolt Castle, we can make that one of our stop overs there is no charge to dock there!
This will be a joint effort between USA and Canada. AOTH is in May would June be a good month? Any Help would be appriciated.

HyperDonzi
09-01-2002, 10:57 AM
after the first week of june, i will be out of school and will have my drivers licnese, how far is this from columbus ohio? would anyone have an extra seat on thier boat?

MOP
09-01-2002, 11:50 AM
I've been going up for quite a few years, the poker run weekend and the preceeding two others pack the place. If you really want to enjoy the place I think you need to try to avoid those weekends. What we need here is input from EM & Boxey they live up there. My tilt is it is a Fairy Land that should be expored, I go all over blazes every year and always find new and intriging spots. It is an unbelievably beautiful place to roam around both through the islands and ashore. With traffic now it takes me 8-9 hours from Long Island so I make the most of it. Having gone to most of the major events and places of interest, I pick places of interest. Most everyone I have ever spoke to that came just for an event said they needed to come back just to see the area. There are actually 1,900 islands, but by definition only an island has a tree. So there are about 600 Big ROCKS and 1,300 islands, speaking of rocks one must stay in the channels as the bottom is All Rock. Thousands of props and lower unit have gone to the Deep there. By the way for you divers there are ship wrecks in water as clear as the Caribean waters. I think once you have been ther you will agree it is by far one of the very best places you have ever gone!

Shanghied Again
09-01-2002, 12:35 PM
Boxy will be working with me on this, After having him on the Poker Run running with me, I knew he would be the man for the job, His expertise of the area is helpfull in every way. I am looking for a commitee to put together this get together and make it one of the best! Any help would be appreciated!

Shanghied Again
09-01-2002, 01:08 PM
I am already adding the get together under Events 2003, Look and see.

http://northeastdonziclub.homestead.com/index.html

waleyetwo
09-03-2002, 11:53 AM
frank that sounds like a blast.
keep us posted. eek!

waleyetwo
09-03-2002, 11:54 AM
frank that sounds like a blast.
keep us posted. eek!

boxy
09-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Hi Frank, I posted a couple of links on your other thread, here are a couple of others, and a pic of Boldt castle
http://www.alexbay.org/images/aerialcastlepic.JPG

bonnie castle (http://www.bonniecastle.com)
boardwalk resort (http://www.boardwalkresorts.com)
riveredge resort (http://www.riveredge.com)
abay 1 (http://www.abay.com) abay 2 (http://www.alexbay.org)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-03-2002, 07:47 PM
I pick August Frank :) . Let me know when the date is set and I am in.... I will be to sea 2 weeks in June and July of '03.

We may miss AOTH III :( , I will be commissioning the country's newest aircraft carrier CVN-76, RONALD REAGAN May 10th 2003, the tip of the spear and ready to kick rear when called upon by the big guy!

ATTENTION, I will invite six people to attend, if you would like to attend let me know. The date is firm and formal presidential invitations are about to be made and mailed out.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-03-2002, 08:18 PM
Jamie your too funny, I still remember being a newbie in the 26ZX and trying to dock between yours and Sams AWESOME classics.... talk about nerve racking....

RR has plenty of fuel, all fresh ready to serve the taxpayers for 50 years. She will be in the fight when George Junior finishes what his dad started!

1000 Islands sure looks great, Frank, where did you stay????
We have added it to the later 2003 trips, I will be jammed until mid June, after commissioning I leave the ship for a desk job for 2 years.

Oh, and of course Donzi Jenn and Rainman are welcome anytime. Great folks....
Bryan

Shanghied Again
09-03-2002, 08:57 PM
Bryan, We stayed in Canada at the Gananoque Inn (Great Place ) I fell in love with the area up there, The Land were performance boats live, The way I see it The AOTH is in May, Lake George is in June, 1000 Islands should be in July (Just a thought) August may be hard up there do to the 1000 Islands Poker Run. Is there any dates I am conflicting with Please let me know before I set this one in stone, I am making calls now! How does Cottages sound with a bar and a Marina! They even have barbecues. I am checking on this place!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-03-2002, 09:10 PM
Frank I will have my June underway dates tomorrow, so far off they are not in my Palm.
Last week in June would be good for us, hell why not the 4th of July for fun?
Even if I miss AOTH III we are already locked into several 2003 events and a January and April cruise, Nancy is to ate up with the cruiseline thing, I might have to shoot her to save our budget!
Set it up, and if I can be there I will be, you know my word is good.

Did your place have a web link? The one photo looks too cool, I will start surfing/bookmarking tomorrow.
Where did you put in etc????
Send us some pictures too....
Bryan

Shanghied Again
09-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Bryan if you go to the N/E web site go to 1000 Islands also here is the site for Alexandria Bay.
http://northeastdonziclub.homestead.com/index.html

Here is abays site www.alexbayorg/ (http://www.alexbayorg/)

roadtrip se
09-03-2002, 09:27 PM
Love the Islands! Middle of summer would be my preference, seeing as it sometimes comes late to that area of the North. Set a date and they will come. Two solid days of towing for us, but we would make the trip.

Todd

Shanghied Again
09-03-2002, 09:36 PM
By the end of next week the date will be set. And then it will be time to pick the best areas to hit, Boldt Castle has my Wifes vote! My 2 Canadian friends Boxy and Extreme I leave this ball in your court! If anyone knows this area they do! Boxy I will call you this weekend.

TRU-JACK
09-03-2002, 09:37 PM
Keep in mind that July 1 is Canada Day, same as 4th of July to us up here eh? Anyway it will be real busy, just some info eh? wink

Shanghied Again
09-03-2002, 09:40 PM
True Jack Thanks, I was looking towards mid July like the 15th area. This keeps it away from the 4th were Hotels don't aren't as bad and the traffic is a little better. PS any thoughts on any areas worth looking in to please feel free to join in. I will be setting up a Canadian/USA Committee for this one!

Dr. Dan
09-03-2002, 10:51 PM
:D Frank ...Sounds Perfect fot that time frame...Liz and I would join the Caravan North for sure! :cool: ...Doc

boxy
09-04-2002, 09:38 AM
The one place we should not miss is the Clayton Antique Boat Museum (http://www.abm.org) .
Cruise from A-Bay to Clayton for coffee and breakfast, visit the museum, shoot over to the beach at Grindstone Island for a couple hours and a shore lunch, run back down the Canadian side, rumble through Lake of the Isles (think 76 Falls only with an International flair, the border runs through it) and then head to Rum Runners in A-Bay for Happy Hour.

Crazy Horse
09-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Frank, Looking forward to hearing more about the get together. We've never been up there and from your past posts it is clear to see your excitement.

By the way, how are you enjoying the Classic that you recently purchased?

waleyetwo
09-04-2002, 04:10 PM
hey horseman how far is this to us?

Crazy Horse
09-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Mapquest says that it is a 7 hour drive from Nashua. Figure we can do it under 6 hours. A cake walk compared to Kentucky! eek!

Tidbart
09-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Walleye, Horse,
My buddy from Montreal has been trying to get me go there for a couple of years. I just mnever made it. He says it is an awesome place for boating. Go if you can.
Who am I kidding, of course you guys can go.
B

markdonzi
09-19-2002, 08:19 AM
I am also very interested in attending. Live by Lake George but want to see the 1000 islands area. Let us know when and where.MarkDonzi C16

KMLFAMILY
11-02-2002, 09:46 AM
Frank, I see a date on your website so i guess it"s on. I hope to be there. Is there enough to do there to plan a week"s vacation around it? Never been there. Thank you, Ken

boldts
11-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Frank - Are the July 11th thru 13th dates set? If so, where are you staying? I've always wanted to see Boldt Castle. I own that place you know. lol Mapquest says 10 hours from Columbus, OH. Could meet any MI contingent in Erie, PA area. Roadtrip, if you can get to OH the first day, I'd be honored to travel with you the rest of the way.

Beth and I were going to go up to Thousand Islands for our honeymoon. Had the Donzi hitched up to the truck at the reception party and all. Took Beth to the airport and got on a plane to Key West as a surprise for her. We had a wonderful time in FL, but I've always wanted to get up to the islands.

Dr. Dan
11-03-2002, 08:09 AM
:D Just checked on Mapquest...only a 6.5 hour run for us....that means its an easy days drive for most of us in the MidAtlantic and East Coast area! :p I have not been to this area since I was just a wee lad...but I remember it to being absolutely gorgeous! :rolleyes: We will definitely pencil this run in Frank....let us know more details as they become available!... :cool: Doc

boxy
11-04-2002, 03:12 PM
Poodle fly into Syracuse, the airport is only a couple of miles from Interstate 81 and I'm sure somebody driving up from the East Coast can scoop you up. Worst case scenario, pack a couple of extra tins of smoked marlin dip, and I'll come pick you up myself. The airport is only 100 miles south of my folks place.
PS Scott if we stay in Abay, you could drive a golf ball from the dock to your castle.. :D

Murphy
11-08-2002, 06:45 PM
My family owned a cottage on Grennell Island from 89-99. The 1000 Islands are great. Alexandria Bay is a super hot-spot and used to have a bar you could pull right into. The thing we need for this event is really good guides. The waters are full of hazards. You can be in 100' of water one minute and 6" the next. Lots of gravel bars and submerged rocks. Very few hazard bouys and markers. I know the water between Clayton and Alex Bay pretty well but outside of that area I'm lost. I know Riggs Smith who used to run the Antique Boat Museum (if he's still living). Riggs gave us a tour of this islands in his restored Garwood that took us to all the best sites. His son is, or was a captain for the Ganenaqua Boat Line. I could probably locate Riggs or his son to see if either one would serve as tour guide one day. Otherwise, we need someone who really knows the local waters to take the lead. There's enough water and sites to see up there for a month-long event. The Castle is awsome. Picture a boat house big enough to float your fully rigged 60' schooner inside and you'll be on the right track. The
Thousand Isles boat museum in Clayton is a must also. Islands around the International bridge are breathtaking. A tour of lighthouses from the water would be cool. There is no end to the possibilities. Frank, let me know if you want me to track down Riggs or his son to inquire about their willingness to join us one day.

Murph

Dr. Dan
11-08-2002, 09:20 PM
:p Frank & Boxy....do we have a "Gathering Place" selected yet for this puppy? Just curious...Anxious for Alexander Bay! :D ...Doc