PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Donzi club?

Sagbay32
11-28-2001, 05:39 PM
I heard a lot of talk about getting something started. What happened to everybody. Are you yooper guys busy shoveling snow? We need some stickers and shirts to remind us that winter is only 6 months long in Michigan.

Where are you guys??? ;)

Tony
11-30-2001, 04:51 PM
I'm here, but still in a "battle royale" with my insurance company over my overheating problem. Also, the big benefit of teachers having summers off is sort of offset by being pretty hectic the other 9 months...teaching, coaching, officiating, honey-do list, kid-in-college, etc., etc.

I'm up for anything, but am not able to spearhead or take charge. Maybe post this topic in the discussion board, and start off by compiling a master list of MI Donzi owner's e-mail addresses? From there we might be able to personally contact them and poll their preferences.

Maybe three mini-gatherings...one on Lake St. Clair, one in Grand Haven or Muskegon, and one on Torch Lake. Or alternate between Torch Lake and the Les Cheneaux Islands since that was such an awesome destination.

Sagbay32
12-01-2001, 09:33 PM
Hey Tony,
Sorry to hear about the continuing saga with the ins company. I hear you on the been busy part though. I don't have the time to be the lead dog on this either, but I am willing to help. If anyone wants to meet me in the Saginaw Bay sometime next season I am all for it. That is where we primarily run. We may be able to make some other destinations as well. The Les Cheneaux area is beautiful. I have been to the antique boat show but never on the water.
I hope you get some help on your claim. keep in touch.

boldts
12-01-2001, 09:36 PM
Mike,
I attended the gathering at Lake StClair which got moved to the river due to lake conditions. It was a 3 hour plus drive for me, but I really enjoyed the day. I'm up for coming up to MI again next spring after the Awakening at Lake Cumberland Kentucky. If I can help you with anything, just ask! I am like Tony very busy with getting ready for the Midwest Donzi Club's gathering until after May 14th. :)

Dennis
12-02-2001, 05:21 AM
I'm out here!!! I'm the guy with the yellow X-18 (without the hole) It would be nice to plan events on days that something is happening on the lake (ie: Quake on the lake or Boat show wknd, or antique boat show)
ANY THOUGHTS???????????

olredalert
12-02-2001, 11:15 AM
Im out here too.Im too new to the Mich.area to try to tell anyone where to visit,but am up for a day on the water just about anywhere.By next spring I should have both boats ready to go!Will also help with club activities.Problem with me is(not a bad problem to have)that Im not working alot,but when I am Im almost always WAY out of town!E-mail list sounds like a good place to start..............just.....ol red!.....Bill S

freeplay
12-05-2001, 12:46 PM
ditto here......I'm in. Currently i'm working on art work for shirts hat,etc.,etc. for Michigan and also for Scott for the AOTH2(if he still needs it) . I should have proofs by the first week of January. Keep me posted..cheers...chris

HAPPY HOLIDAYS :D

Riley
12-07-2001, 07:21 AM
Hey Guys, I'm still alive up here in the Les Cheneaux Islands. It's kind of hard to keep the boating fires lit when you know your Donzi is in hibernation for at least 4.5 more months!

Count me in for any Michigan Club, I'll do what I can to help. Always ready to host any type of gathering up here in Les Cheneaux, Tony and I had a blast last summer.

If any of you guys get up to the U.P. snowmobiling, give me a call and we'll grab a coffee or a beer.

Happy Holidays!

Chris

Sagbay32
12-07-2001, 09:33 AM
Ok, we have some interest. Who wants to share their expertise in getting this started?

Sagbay32@aol.com

Dr. Dan
12-11-2001, 05:34 PM
So Guys, would this be open to Donzi owners "from" Michigan? Or restricted to only those who currently live there? If it's open, count me in, I normally do at least one trek there from Pa, normally around the July 4th Holiday, but that could always be tweaked as far as scheduling goes!
....Fellow Spartan, and former resident of the now thriving metropolis of Howell in Livingston County! :D ...Doc

boldts
12-11-2001, 08:40 PM
Sagbay,

The next thing and probably the most important thing to do is pick a location and a date. That way people can make reservations and plan vacation if needed. Then, invite everyone from surrounding states by e-mail. You'll either get a flat out NO or folks will think about planning the trip. Plan a trip to a local hang-out or a site seeing trip and show those who attend what you enjoy about the area. Remeber, you can't please everyone, but every Donzi owner I've met so far has always been willing to go with the flow. I love to see new water ways. Scott

Tomahawk
12-13-2001, 09:55 PM
Same deal as Dr. Dan - former Spartan and resident of Lansing, Grand Rapids and Traverse City. Heading to Charlevoix for Christmas. Usually up around labor day - after leaving the Eufaula event. Somebody just pick a place and a date and invite others to join you. That's really all it takes to get started. Have fun. :)

Sagbay32
12-13-2001, 10:51 PM
Michigan Donzi Club,
Any takers on Saginaw Bay? I am usually splashing the boat in Bay City . There are lots of good launches. It all depends on how far you want to go through no wake zones. The Downtown area has a lot of Great waterfront restaurants/bars. The Lantern, Hooters, Midland street (14 bars/Restaurants in a 4 block area), and great places on the East side too.

There is a huge launch in Downtown Saginaw's West side (Rust st. Launch) that has like 6 ramps and a huge paved parking lot. We launch there and Run up to Bay City some times. It is a wide river with little traffic and only 2 small no wakes to Bay City (about 15 miles of WOT area). I will be up there most summer weekends.

If no takers we can try for downstate again. Lake St. Clair or Detroit River area? I know this is closer for many of you guys. I just don't know the water. I grew up on Saginaw Bay and moved down to White Lake 4 years ago for work. So the Bay is always on for me. A lot less traffic on the water as well.

Let me know if you can come up with a place we all can agree on. Any input will be welcome.

Let's see some Hat/Shirt/Sticker ideas.

turbo2256
12-13-2001, 10:58 PM
Boldts,

I have been wanting to launch in that lake and and Kentucky Lake too

komikazee
12-23-2001, 09:53 AM
Mike,
I'm in! Let me know when and where to meet up with you in Bay City. Just started doing the bay thing last summer. Loved it! Was getting too much hassle from the locals & authorities on noise & boat sodas, where I usually boat. So went on the bay, much better! Have been looking for someone who knows the waters(water levels being what they are). Stay in touch. I'm interested in the Michigan Donzi Club too. Not sure what I could do to help, but let me know. Not home much! Spend most my time working in Detroit.
Tracy

Sagbay32
12-23-2001, 10:42 PM
I hear you Kamikazee,

We started going to the Bay due to the high traffic on the local lakes (Oakland county). I am kinda bummed I bought such a little boat (18'). If I had known I was going to be on the bay all the time I would have stepped up to a 24 to 26 footer. I may move up in the spring to a bigger boat, we will have to see.

No problem hooking up next season. I can show you the goods and bads on the chart. There's plenty of water still out there, but it is down about 3 feet from the norm.

Happy Holidays

Sam
12-30-2001, 10:26 AM
Mike, keep me in mind for a bay ride next season. My folks live in Caseville so I could pay them a visit at the same time.

Sam

Gary S.
12-30-2001, 01:06 PM
Hey guys,,,what about a poker run to Put-In-Bay ???????? Say ,,,sometime after the 4th of July when there is dock space,,,,,,just a thought,,,,,,,,,,

Sam
12-30-2001, 02:52 PM
Great Idea but you will be very hard pressed to find dock space almost anytime there. I have traveled there many times with the mother ship with mixed results. ALL docking is subject to rafting and you can not make reso's, unless you belong to one of the yacht clubs. The other option is to tie up to a mooring ball but this option is one boat per ball. The other consideration is the heavy volume of boat trafic and the very real issue of consistent rough water. I hate to be a naysayer but I would be very hard pressed to run my 16 in that body of water.
Maybe we can put our thinking caps on and come up with an alternative destination. Please don't misconstrue my observations as being negative, it is the voice of experience.

Sam

turbo2256
12-30-2001, 03:30 PM
My first outing last season was Put In Bay. It was early May before season opeaned only 3 or 4 boats there. Water was like glass. A great place later in the season is the island to the east of it not as crowded usally lots of dockage info is at work wont be back there untill the third interested?

Flash
12-30-2001, 05:10 PM
Put-n-Bay would make excellent location, we spend almost every other weekend there during summer. There are some marinas in the harbour that do take reservations. Kelley's Island 8 miles to the east would also make excellent location. Seaway marina hosts many boat clubs and they do take reservations. As for water it is 10 miles from main land to the islands. Or you can ferry car and boat to islands an launch there.

Gary S.
12-30-2001, 05:23 PM
FYI,,,I dock at Ladd's marina behind the DQ,,,,they do take reservations,,,,,Any ways,,,,,It was just a though,,,

komikazee
12-30-2001, 09:40 PM
Hey Mike,
I'm not sure if your interested or not but.... I found an add.
1988 Donzi Z-22. 454 Bravo,trim tabs,depth finder,CD player, 2 covers, Eagle tandem trailer, red and white. Excellent condition. $16,500 989-752-7369, Saginaw
Maybe you already know the boat. Not sure if this is a good price or not. Just thought you or someone else might be interested.
Tracy

Sagbay32
12-31-2001, 12:35 PM
Hey Tracy,
I dont think I know that boat. I did pass up on a 1997 22ZX last year.

I would like a 25 ZX that is up for sale by me now.
I just can't talk my Minister of Finance into it. :D
Oh well, the Cruiser will be in my future. I can feel it now :( .

komikazee
12-31-2001, 09:59 PM
Mike,
Wasn't sure if you were looking for something like that Z22 or not. Maybe someone else will be interested.
Good Luck on the 25ZX should be a great ride! So be good, and ask again very nicely,maybe things will go your way.
By the way I'm planning on going to AOTH II, hopefully we can get together down there.
Tracy

KRAVEN
02-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Any more info on thr Michigan DONZI Club?I'm intrested,let me know what's in the future.Looking forward to a get together on Lake St.Clair.
KRAVEN

KRAVEN
02-05-2002, 07:31 PM
My wife and I have a cottage party the first Saturday in August on Harsen's Island,all intrested are welcome to come.This year it will be August 3rd.We will provide burgers and dogs.all we ask is to bring a passing dish and your favorite beverage.Anyone intrested let me knowand i will give directions and a invite.Email your home address and we will send them in the mail.We will be having the GLEN EDDIE blues band performing 2-7pm.Feel free to bring kids,games prizes and water sports aswell as horseshoes and volleyball are the norm.
KRAVEN