PDA

View Full Version : 1st Annual SEADOG'S meet in Florida

HP 600SC
11-14-2001, 07:15 PM
Ok gang, This is near Palatka on the St.Johns
in Georgetown FL. It is totally an awesome
location. Thanks to LastTango we checked out this location last weekend....totally fresh
water....wide river...no speed limits.
The place to stay just built new hotel rooms
some with 3 beds...cable tv....seperate
building sports bar/lounge with live band
pool table's TV's ect. The boat ramp is on site and you can keep your boat on the trailer next to your room. This area is totally beautiful!
The tenative date is Dec. 1st
This is good for me and MadPoodle.....
Everyone is welcome....SmokeDiver, Forrest
BigGris, could not attend Palatka so try to
make this one guy's.....we can still move the date a little farther away if need be
to accomadate everyone.
I will need you guy's to post if this date is
good for you all.
LastTango, why dont you tell everyone what
"SEADOG'S" is since it is your idea!
Mark, let me/us know what you need us to do
to put this thing together.
Ok guy's....start posting!

Last Tango
11-14-2001, 10:11 PM
SEADOGs.
The semi-official creation of the South EAst Donzi Owners Group (SEADOGs)was unanimously voted upon by a quorum of regulars during the Palatka event. I immediately gave myself the title as The Great and Powerful Oz but someone in the crowd thought that was already taken, so our first order of business was to table titles until after we had eaten lunch and had a few more beers.
The SEADOGS present at this momentous occasion were Last Tango (myself), HP500, Madpoodle, Jamesbon, jkeefe, Clayman, and a cadre of significant-others, hanger's-on's, near-do-well's, and other unfortunates, including an extremely large dog named "Kitty", and another female bowser named "Jake" (Apppearantly, an undercurrent of anti-social behaviour runs deep within this group). Missing but not forgotten in the big scheme of things were Big Grizzly (A.K.A "Does the cockpit go in the middle or the back?"), Tomahawk (A.K.A "Hey, little Honda gonna shut 'em down"), Forrest (A.K.A. "Yes, I DO have a degree in Marine Engineering and YES, I CAN get this boat started without your help), and several other key boat-soda consumers.
Our Mission Statement is simple: "To enjoy with friends the ownership and operation of the Donzi boat.
Our Lifestyle Statement is also simple: "We are a rogue band of drinkers with a boating problem bound together like a herd of cats".
Membership RESTRICTIONS:
1.Those familiar with the passwords "Don Arronow" are welcome to immediately join the party. Those not familiar with the passwords are also welcome to join on the assumption they will soon learn the meaning of these sacred words and will hold them in highest honor.
2.Those only familiar with the words: 'Baja', 'Formula', 'Cigarette', and similar, are welcome as well and under no oblgation to upgrade to the superior Donzi, thus providing much entertainment and laughter for the Donzi owners.
3. Those only familiar with the words, 'Larson', 'Bayliner' and 'SeaRay' will be offerred political asylum and a student visa.

A First Annual event is proposed above, since we relish the concept of putting the cart before the horsepower!

Soon, Madpoodle will create some sort of list of those who want to be a part of this never-ending Summer of Donzi. Please respond via this Thread if you have a desire to be included among those who stand shoulder to shoulder (mostly to keep from falling over drunk) with this fledgeling organization. Until such time as anyone sobers up enough to create a webpage or even order a third keg, we will use this Thread as our communications newsletter.
As foresworn to me by my fellow gearhead party animals, I remain
Mark A. Laszlo
Varyak@aol.com
"Last Tango" (Worlds (previously) Most Expensive Classic 18) and
"Tango Maru" (Z3250 Daytona - 1 of 1, should have named her "Show Boat")

PS. Ted, wife says no way I can play anymore this close to Christmas. Have to wait until 2002.
:cool:

smokediver
11-15-2001, 03:55 PM
will check calendar tomorrow . i think i am in. how am i gonna keep up?

Cuda
11-15-2001, 07:06 PM
Since I am familiar with the word "Formula", I guess I can be considered as a plebe :) . I would love to attend if I get the Formula together by then. I just today sent the check for the SS outdrive, and it shouldn't take long to get it up and going, if Thanksgiving doesn't screw up the schedule.

I have to travel up that way next week on business, I may swing through and check out the place. Too bad they don't allow pets, now I have to find someone to watch my three dogs :( .

BTW, when I was at my mechanic's, there was a Donzi sitting out back that looks like it had been there for quite a while. I feel and itch for another project. I don't know what model it was, the only number on it was "22". It needed plenty of work and the last registration was a 1999 decal. Maybe I can get a pic of it tomorrow, and someone can give me an idea of which model it is.

CrackerJack
11-17-2001, 06:23 AM
What time is lunch? Should take about an hour from Sanford. Jack

Last Tango
11-18-2001, 09:28 PM
Shoot! Our first Semi-Official First Annual Event and I'm forced to be a no-show. Nancy has me booked for every Christmas thing happening in North Florida, from Thanksgiving to New Years. You guys have a great time! THis month is when Nancy gets even with me for all those Donzi Gatherings and Porsche races.
Oh yeah...finally got Last Tango (18) into the water today to try out the new exhaust manifolds and headers. With full fuel tank and two aboard she pushed close to 72. That is about 5 mph better than before under same weight/fuel/crew conditions. Then WAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! we blew a hole in the starboard rubber exhaust connector (between the exhaust header and the inside of the tail pipe). I guess I need to remove the baffles in the tail pipes. Too much back pressure? It only took less than 5 minutes from start-up to do that. I was just coming off of full throttle, then ROARRRRRRR!! and the smell of burning rubber.
No water pumping into the bilge. The hole was right where the exhaust header ends, and on the side.
With completely straight out pipes, can 75 plus be far away?
Mark :cool:

HP 600SC
11-19-2001, 06:15 AM
Mark.....it sounds like MAYBE the water lines
going to the new manifolds are POSSIBLY routed incorrectly! It should not smell like
that nor blow a hole in the rubber!
Be careful....have it checked by a H.P.
mechanic before you run it again!
Ted M.

Forrest
11-19-2001, 11:41 AM
Ginny and I are going to try to make this one, but as luck has it, I'm scheduled to be on-call for work that weekend. There is a good chance that we will be able to make it, but only if I can manage to trade my on-call weekend with one of my co-workers.

HP 600SC
11-19-2001, 02:13 PM
I have heard from a few that the weekend
of Dec. 1 will be not good......what if we
push to the second weekend in Dec?????
how is that for everybody????

CrackerJack
11-19-2001, 03:49 PM
Waiting to head west at Crecsent City,
Porky's is not far now.
Ready, willing and able, Sanford Jack & Son.

clayman
11-19-2001, 04:26 PM
Hey Guys, I haven't talked to my honey yet, or fix the old Donzi yet for that matter, but it sounds like fun. If I can get her fixed, (the boat that is )I'm there. THe river is very beautiful.
James

Forrest
11-21-2001, 08:51 AM
The second weekend would probably work better for me. How 'bout you Mark?

HP 600SC
11-21-2001, 06:44 PM
Ok gang, let's all agree that the 2nd weekend
in Dec. will be it then.
Do I here a second???

Scott call me at home.

CrackerJack
11-21-2001, 09:39 PM
Changed oil today, didn't even sweat. Must be
winter. Let's go. Jack

Cuda
11-22-2001, 11:19 AM
Second weekend gives me more time to get the boat together. My outdrive should be here next Wednesday, shouldn't take long from then. Is there plenty of dock space?

Last Tango
11-22-2001, 12:01 PM
FLASH! Nancy has given me the green light to go to this event the second weekend in December. I will not be down until early Saturday morning, and I'm planning to bring the C18 rather than the Z3250, UNLESS, you folks want a moving party room/bathroom. YOU tell me. I can do either, but I prefer to run the small boat this time. The trip down to Georgetown by Tango Maru will be about two hours. If anyone wants to do that WITH me let me know. Otherwise I'm dragging the C18 to blast around with my new headers. (P.S. the problem has been repaired and I will do more "testing" this weekend).
Yahoooooooo!
Mark! :cool:

Last Tango
11-22-2001, 12:23 PM
In case the above paragraph needs more clarification, I'm making my reservations today for the evening of the 8th, at Porky's. See you ALL there!!!!
And bring your diving gear, plenty of cold clear water to see.
MARK

SEADOGs! :cool:

HP 600SC
11-22-2001, 03:54 PM
Mark Great!!!
Ok then 2nd weekend it is....come on everybody....start posting that you'll be
there!

Last Tango
11-23-2001, 05:09 PM
My reservation is confirmed. Room #1. And parking is indeed in front of the room for car and boat. $50.00 a night. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner available on site.

Cuda, bring your boat and join the fun!

BP 93 octane is available just up the river a few minutes in case we need it. I don't know the price. I'm filling my tank on the way to the hotel.

YEEEEEE HAWWWWWWW! SEADOGs!!!!!

Last Tango
11-23-2001, 05:16 PM
Cuda, join the fun whether you boat is ready or not. We ALWAYS have room for more!
JKeefe boys still in for the 8th?
Forrest and Ginney?
Jamesbon and Kelly (and kitty)?
Clayman and Jen (and Jake?)?
Big Grizzly and Tomahawk, brush the snow off the cover and trailer down!
John?
Hey, we want EVERYONE there!
Mark

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

HP 600SC
11-23-2001, 07:31 PM
Got our reservation for the 7th 8th & 9th!
of Dec. Room #2 Can't wait!
See ya'll there!
The phone number for Porky's is
386-467-2310
Call now!!!!!

CrackerJack
11-24-2001, 09:12 AM
Room #3 just reserved.

Last Tango
11-30-2001, 09:53 PM
Okay, gang. We are missing some names here. Seems to me Jamesbon had a real live hankerin' to get back to Lake George to do some diving. Nate? You out there? RSVP.

I believe we will be forced by the nature of things in this group to play
"Who let the (-D.O.G.s) out?" when we go to the launch ramp.

HP 600SC
11-30-2001, 10:13 PM
Well supposedly Nate and Way-Lo are going...
but I don't think either one has made reseravation's yet......

J&K SHAHBAS
12-01-2001, 07:48 AM
:D WA-LO IS GOING!
CYA

HP 600SC
12-01-2001, 07:56 AM
COOL!!!! ok Nate,,,your turn!!!!

smokediver
12-01-2001, 06:07 PM
Looks like we are gonna miss out on this one. I have to go over to ft.lauderdale for a class on dry suits that my dept. is getting for us and it happens to be that weekend. boat safe.

HP 600SC
12-01-2001, 08:35 PM
Smokediver...... http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/sad24.gif I was going to let you use my 22 the whole weekend too! Oh well.

Last Tango
12-02-2001, 06:59 PM
Okay gang, here is some straight skinny on our location for this weekend. Nancy and I drove down today to check everything out. No, she wouldn't go by boat, so we took her Sebring convertible (top down). Temp was near 80 by noon!
The Georgetown Marina is darn near next door to our docks at Porkey's, has CITGO gas, 93 octane, on a good size fuel dock, $1.65 per gallon unless you are a BOAT/US member in which case you get a 5 cents per gallon discount. They take all credit cards including AmEx. They also have diesel. They also have rooms that are two bedroom efficiencies with kitchen for $60 per night, and five deep water slips for big boats. The slips have fresh water and power hook-ups for 35 and 50 amp. We may try there once next year.
Porkey's Landing normally charges a $5 ramp fee, but that is waived if you are staying in a room there. Also, they have numerous slips for the weekend, also no charge if you have a room there. Breakfast lunch and dinner served at the restaurant, and the cashier in the restaurant also is the person who checks you into the motel rooms, so go to the restaurant.
Plenty of parking space in front of each room to park car/trailer/boat. Ramp is paved but only big enough for one boat at a time.
Big bass fishing tournament starts this week. But Porkey's still has plenty of rooms to rent. I looked at the list for next weekend and WE are IT! And nobody from SEADOGs has rented a room and not told us. So last minute folks can still get in, and there are no suprises. All you Georgians and Carolinians and Tallahassians and Panhandlanians have no reason to stay home next weekend! Besides, the bass on the menu will be fresh!
Porkey's is on SR309 off of US17. If coming from the north, you can take US17 and use CR308 to cut over to CR309. From the Deland area, take US 17 north to JUNCTION RD and then follow the signs to pick up Georgetown Denver RD.
Lots of waterways to explore!!!!!!!
Don't forget to bring your VHF radio so we can stay in communication. I'll have my VHF on Channel 73 all weekend unless the bass guys are clogging it. I'll also have my cellphone -(904)631-2195.
I'll also have a good chart of the area. You should, too. (Middle Saint Johns River)
I will not arrive until early Saturday morning. Friday night Xmas party here in Jax.
I'm bringing the 18. Some new tunes playing in the engine compartment!
If you want to mix properly with the local gals in Porkey's Saloon on friday and saturday night, bring your long blue jeans, some boots, and a t-shirt with a theme of either fishing, NASCAR racing (Dale Earnhardt eulogies still work best), or something cute and redneck like, "If the Bitch ain't ridin' behind me, her dumb ass fell off." You can try a truck theme, if you dare, but you better be able to back up your choice of Ford, Chevy, or Dodge with your fists and a broken beer bottle. Fightin' really excites the gurls, but ya gotta win to take 'em home. ALSO, safety reminder, if it ain't a Harley, it ain't anything to be proud of.
See YAWL this coming weekend!
Mark

Cuda
12-02-2001, 10:19 PM
Damn, sounds perfect! Looks like work is going to keep us away. Never know though, may be able to work it out.

CrackerJack
12-03-2001, 07:07 AM
Ted and Scott if going thru Orlando, what
time on Friday are you planning? Jack

HP 600SC
12-03-2001, 07:42 AM
Jack, Friday.....Orlando...PM...4-5 ish
Ted M.

CrackerJack
12-03-2001, 08:04 AM
Ted not good times. Traffic is a nightmare at
that time. If possible before 3pm thru Orlando. Jack

HP 600SC
12-03-2001, 10:33 AM
Jack, your right, think I'll go up to
Ocala then over thru the national forest.
thank's
Ted M.

Cuda
12-04-2001, 08:15 PM
I had to go from Orlando to Jax today, so I took a small detour and went by Porky's. It is a beautiful stretch of water there. Wasn't too hard to find. If you are coming from Deland, Junction Rd is just as you come into Cresent City. The only place I wasn't sure of on the way, was when I came to a "T" on Junction. Go left there, and follow the road all the way through Georgetown till you hit another "T". There is a big Porky's sign there, and Porkys is about a hundred yards to your left. Plenty of room for manuvering boats around the lot there.

HP 500, you might want to go up 75 to Ocala, then take SR 40 across, then go North to Cresent City. I think there probably is a little shorter route than going to Cresent, but I didn't have a good enough map to try it. It is on CR 309 I believe, and I think I saw it come off 17 south of CC.

HP 600SC
12-04-2001, 09:00 PM
Cuda, cool thank's you going?
If so you want to convoy? I'll be heading out
of St.Pete about 2:30 Friday.

Cuda
12-04-2001, 09:48 PM
We are still not sure. My outdrive finally got to the mechanic's a week late, and guess what, the transom assembly didn't make it with it! :mad:

If we do come, it wouldn't be until saturday. The little lady works Friday until 9 pm.

Forrest
12-05-2001, 10:00 AM
Sorry folks, I'm out on this one too. Too much leftover business that didn't get done. Have a great time and take pictures.

Last Tango
12-05-2001, 09:26 PM
Sorry you can't make it Forrest. You will be missed. Same for you Cuda. Well, for that matter, we'll miss all the the gang that can't make it.
'Poodle, I'm IN on the Toys for Tots Poker Run if they will have us. I guess we'll have to wait and see who is reading their thread.
Mark

Cuda
12-06-2001, 07:39 AM
Madpoodle, I think your best bet is to go up 95 to SR 40 (Ormond Beach exit). Take SR 40 to US 17, go north to Cresent City, then take Junction Road to Georgetown Denver Road, to Porky's.

Last Tango
12-09-2001, 09:10 PM
Appearantly everyone else is still making their way home, and I am the first to report, here, on the outcome of our event. The weather sucked: clear skies both days, very light breeze put just a whisker of a ripple on the lake which forced the hulls to ride under ideal conditions for speed, no rain, temps at about 80 degrees. Women wrapped up tight in their bikinis.
Silver Glen Springs sucked: Almost nobody there, had to stick around almost the whole time by ourselves, too darned quiet and peaceful, too many birds swimming and diving in the shallows, water was cool but not cold, forcing us to wade back and forth from boat to boat and chat for hours. No concrete docks so we had to beach on the finely sanded shore. Unfortunately, the sand removed those neat black trailer roller skidmarks from the bottom of my white hull. Large schools of fish largely obscurred the sandy crystals in the bottom. We stayed only a few hours and then left.
Food sucked: We tried every meal at Porky's Landing and nobody could seem to utter a single word after the meals. Way too much of everything. And way too cheap for the quality and service we received. We told the management we were unwilling to return until they jacked up their prices some more and stopped paying so much attention to our needs. Oh, and let me be the first to go on record telling everyone that HP500-22 drank himself sick on Friday night and ate himself sick on Saturday to the point that they are renaming their giant burger from Wild Hog Burger to the Wild Ted Burger.
Gas was too cheap: BP Marina refused to charge us more than $1.60 for 93 Octane.
Turn-out was great! We had five boats which meant we had the parking lot, ramp, and new covered slips to ourselves. If your are planning on attending the Second Annual event, please don't. You'll just be in the way.
Band in the Wild Hog Saloon sucked: No matter what style of music (mostly Country but also Hard Rock, Santana, Beatles, etc)the crowd refused to let the band play quietly to themselves, and danced and sang along, and just generally had a good time while the band tried desparately to quiet down all the whistling and applause and hooting after each song. Women were too plentiful and far too available. So we retreated to our rooms at 2 AM or so to get an early start on the next day.
The rooms sucked: They were too clean and fresh, and the beds were unecessarily comfortable and cozy. Again, I suggest you stay away from this location at all cost, since cost was way too low here to impress anyone with your wallet.
All-in-all we decided to let this idea go for a few weeks before repeating it.
YrHmblSrvnt,
MarK
Pictures were taken and will posted here as a warning to all others.

Last Tango
12-09-2001, 09:21 PM
Our next event will be officially known as the Second First Annual SEADOGs Meet and is scheduled for January or February. Probably farther south, and "Just north of Cuba", this time. Madpoodle says he will fabricate all the details soon.

CrackerJack
12-10-2001, 02:41 PM
I was one of the unfortunate few that attended this event. An it was as Mark
described. However, I would like to Thank all
who attened for putting up with my son and
his guest they had a GREAT time. Even some
of the local young women got to experience
the enjoyment of cruising in a Donzi.
Ted that it a nice tow vehicle and a few more trips to Porkey's you be glad you have
it, no you will require it to drag all the extra load around. Had a great time as always, Jack.

Cuda
12-10-2001, 03:40 PM
Damn, sounds like a horrible time. Then why am I still bitter I couldn't make it? As it turns out, my boat "should" be ready by this weekend. I may still go up there sometime soon, I really like the location and the ammenities I saw on my visit earlier last week.

CrackerJack
12-10-2001, 05:55 PM
Here are some pic's of the Porkey's event. http://www.donzi.net/photos/jkeefe120.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/jkeefe122.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/jkeefe123.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/jkeefe124.mpg
120 is Scott
122 is Scott and Mark
123 is Mark and myself
124 is movie of the 123 shot.

Last Tango
12-10-2001, 10:10 PM
Cuda, fear not! Porky's Landing was unanimously designated as the SEADOG's Spiritual Home Port, and Master Jet Base. So we'll be a-goin' back reeeeel soon.
Mark :cool: :cool:

Last Tango
12-11-2001, 08:56 PM
Okay Gang,
Each of you who attended this event needs to e-mail me your home address so I can send you your very own personal commemorative copy of the group photo we took inside the restaurant. (Varyak@aol.com) I'm having several copies made. It came out nice. Also, I had duplicates made of the other pictures I took, so if I have one of you, I will include it in the envelope. And if I could just figure out how to post a picture in this thing, I'd add a couple of our Donzi Girls at the event, Mrs. HP500-22, and Mrs. Way-Lo. Both Kathy's have really great...smiles! I don't have any shots of Amanda to give to Richard, but I have the feeling they will sort that out between themselves real soon.
Also, I have been thinking about Jack's perception of the actual name of our Group. He was trying to remember how we worked out the SEA part of SEADOGs and for the A he thought it was the word AREA. Thus: SouthEast Area Donzi Owners Group, vs SouthEAst Donzi Owners Group as I had suggested. Since Southeast is a single word, I have no problem adding the word "Area" in order to clarify the acronym we use. Changes only a small bit of the proposed logo which we haven't really finalized yet. Any questions, comments or snide remarks on this topic?

Last Tango
12-12-2001, 07:19 AM
Awesome shot! Surreal, like running in Heaven. But, then, we were.
"I love the smell of {high octane} in the morning... it smells like... victory!"

CrackerJack
12-12-2001, 08:55 AM
Life is Good, but with a Donzi and friends
its another level. Beautiful shot, Jack.

marcdups
12-12-2001, 06:42 PM
You bunch of DOGS you, am glad you had a fantastic time, Wish I was there, donno about no live bait in the rooms though, what is a guy suppose to do!! :eek: :eek:

Hope to see ya'll soon

Towel Boy :D

Last Tango
12-12-2001, 09:33 PM
All the "live bait" was dancin' and drinkin' and waitin' for a REAL MAN, at the Wild Hog Saloon on Friday night. ;)
Mark

Dr. Dan
12-13-2001, 07:06 AM
Scott, what type of Donzi is "Way Lo", neat looking Air Scoop in the sun pad? Stock or a new creation? I'm sure I missed somewhere earlier what this boat is, cool though!... ;) ...Doc

Paul Storti
12-19-2001, 10:26 PM
Hi everyone, after poking around these boards for a while I finally decided to register when I saw the SEADOGS being organized. I live in Miami Beach and I have a 22ZX. Let me know when the next event is.

Thanks

boldts
12-19-2001, 11:18 PM
MadPoodle,
First you show us all those Hornets that need some tender lov-in. Then you mention that there are rummors that WA - LO is planning a trip to Kentucky. I sure hope the rummors are true. Richard Weaver gave me a call last night and he is planning a trip from Maine to KY. He said he would like to bring his Benchseat Hornet. Beautiful boats for sure. Wish you SEADOG's were not 20 hrs. away. I'd like very much to be a part of one of your outings. Maybe this summer by way of a 3 day weekend.

Tomahawk
12-20-2001, 10:13 PM
Richard and Cindy, John and Cathy and WA-LO, Dr. Dan and Liz. This gets better all the time. Welcome Paul S. Mad Poodle is right about WA-LO. Bring ear plugs if your sensitive at all. And you might want to wear them when you retire for the evening! ;)

Last Tango
12-20-2001, 11:32 PM
Yeah, might be part of the reason we were "uninvited" to Bagby State park for next years Lake Eufaula event. Hmmmm. Still, the sweet sound of that boat might have been worth it. Even in the parking lot...at midnight.

Last Tango
12-23-2001, 04:33 PM
If you sent me your home address, you will soon be receiving your souvenier SEADOGs AT PORKEY'S group photo, and any other shots I may have added to fill the envelope for you. Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year!