PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Donzi Club??

Riley
08-19-2001, 10:50 AM
I was just out waxing the boat when it hit me: Why don't we form a Great Lakes Donzi Club? Scott Boldt has done a great job with his Mid West group, I think we could do the same here in the Great Lakes area.

There are a ton of boats right here in Michigan, we could organize 3-4 gatherings a year during the boating season,and maybe a party or something during the winter. It would be nice to start planning events and locations right now for next summer.

Tony, you seem to be the most well traveled of the Michigan guys, what do you think? I know there are quite a few boats in the Metro area. We don't hear too much from the west side of the state, but I'm sure there has to be a pile of boats in the G.R., Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon area. I count 7 Donzi's that call Les Cheneaux their home port, way up here in the Upper Peninsula! It'd be fun to get everybody together.

So, what do you all think? Is there any merit in trying to start a club here in Michigan?

boldts
08-19-2001, 12:43 PM
Great idea gentlemen. Michigan has quite a boating capital in numbers. I'll tell you the hardest thing to do is getting the word out to the Donzi owners. The article in Hot Boat has helped bring attention to the Donzi models. Another thing that you almost have to do is decide on a date and place and go with it no matter what, especially for those of us wanting to come from surrounding states. Feel free to contact the guys who are already holding gatherings like Ed Hodgkinson in New York (Fasteddie) or Crazy Horse up at Lake Winnipesaukee and Frank Civitano of the N/E club. All of these folks would be more than happy to help you since they are all experienced gathering holders. If I can help you get things started, I also would be glad to help. You could ask the Harbormaster for information on creating a club web site. The web is a great way to get the word out. Now you just need someone who is willing to devote a lot of their free time to the Donzi cause. There won't be any pay for the job, but when you have your first gathering and you meet all the Donzi owners who you never knew exsited in your area of the country, the joy really out weighs the time you've put into getting everyone together. Good Luck and let me know if I can do anything to help you.

Brad Lyon
08-19-2001, 05:59 PM
Chris, count me in for a Great Lakes club. Jaroot,I think they only have the green one left. I drove two hours two weeks ago to look at it. Almost bought it, I got a quote from Dennis Mitchell at Bayshore Marine up in Traverse City (it's their boat), $23,184.70 OTD with a Eagle trailer. There are two other classics on Secord Lake, anyone know who they belong to? Houghton Lake is only 45 minutes away, if nobody knows who they are I will try to find out next weekend and see if they are game for Sept. 8 & 9 as well.

Brad

Brad Lyon
08-19-2001, 06:08 PM
OOPS!!, That $23,184.70 did not include anything for Mr. John Engler!! Can't forget he has to take his cut. :eek:

Brad Lyon
08-19-2001, 06:50 PM
He wanted $20K even for the boat. $1,495 for the trailer, $150 for title, $250 for dealer prep., and $1,289 for tax. You know if I read this thing enough times maybe I will get it right. Do you think?? However, the $250.00 for dealer prep is what ticked me off enough to buy something else. Was a nice boat, I really liked the green color. Nice nick on the deck and engine cover though.

jwright
08-19-2001, 08:19 PM
I like the idea of getting together at different places around the state. I am always hauling my boat somewhere anyways so it would be cool to run with some other classic Donzis.
I live in Holland, so I could set something over here up. Muskegon may the best, It has the best inland lake if Lake Michigan is rough. Grand Haven could work too. Some other places that I think may be good are:
Torch Lake (clam river, Torch River, Elk Lake etc...)
West Arm of Traverse Bay (Travers City, Power Island, Mission Point)
Indian River and Indian Intercoatsal Waterway
Munising and Pictured Rocks ( WAY to far for most people but worth the drive to me!)

Ths places usaully have water that is calm if the wind is strong. Let's see what works for everyone.

Riley
08-20-2001, 09:28 AM
If you guys know any other Michigan Donzi'ers, please send them to this thread with their input. I would think we can get 10-15 of us together to get a club rolling.

jwright, I like your ideas for locations. We should try to get 4 meets organized for next summer: Metro Detroit, Houghton Lake, West Michigan, and Northern Michigan. That way we can all have a meet fairly close to home, and still enjoy boating in other parts of the state.

C'mon guys, let's have some more input!

freeplay
08-20-2001, 05:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm in!!!
I mostly run my Black Hawk around the Lake St. Clair/Harsens Island area. If i can assist in any way don't hesitate to contact me. Cheers........Chris http://www.donzi.net/photos/D8.jpg :D

Brad Lyon
08-22-2001, 06:53 PM
OK, so how do we get this started? I have never been a member of a club of this sort. Does anyone know someone that has started a club that can give us some pointers? Or do we simply get everyone's Email and postal address and say we are a club now and just meet from time to time?

By the way Chris (Freeplay) my nine year old wants your boat but he said your asking a little more than he can afford and wants to know if you will come down in price enough for him to buy it! I must say he has good taste. :)

Brad

freeplay
08-24-2001, 10:04 AM
i'm guessing we should e-mail scott( harbormaster) to see what his thoughts are. I'm sure this can't be that difficult.

i'm also thinking we should hang on one thread as we currently have 2 or 3 "michigan" threads running at this time.

We were talking on a past thread about possibly meeting up around Harsens Island over @ Browns on the middle channel some time in the next few weeks, Labor Day?

Keep me posted........

Hey Brad, I was flipping through past threads, what did you end up getting??

Tell your son thanks for the compliment on the boat......I'm such an idiot for even putting the Black Hawk up for sale. It only took me 5 years to locate a clean one.

:D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

freeplay
08-24-2001, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, What's up with the star thing under our names???

well , who ever dropped me one Thanks much!! :D

Brad Lyon
08-24-2001, 01:31 PM
Freeplay,

I bought a 1993 Classic 18. It has a 5.8 EFI with a OMC King Cobra outdrive and bennett tabs. Yellow stripe with yellow sides, white seats with yellow piping. Boat is very clean. I have a few issues that I need to address but all in all I am glad I went with the 18 instead of the 16, though I really, really liked the British Racing green on the 16.

I received a couple of emails from Scott Boldt. Information packed let me tell you! I have a friend that designs web sites and one that hosts sites. I am going to be seeing them this weekend (not going boating, bummer). I will seek their input and see if I can get this done for nothing. Last I recall they owe me some favors :D

In the mean time will anyone else show up at Houghton Lake on Sept. 8 & 9?

Brad