PDA

View Full Version : Awakening of the Horses II

boldts
08-17-2001, 06:14 PM
Everyone,

I'm getting a head start on the event for next year. I spoke with Frieda at the Jamestown Resort today. Mark it on your 2002 calendar. The dates will be May 9th through the 14th. She has blocked off a group of rooms for us and my understanding is that there are cabins available if you have a large group coming with you. Right now and I understand that it is very early for most of you to be planning, there are only a couple rooms that have been reserved for the weekend of the 11th and 12th. (There is a wedding going on at the yachtclub where we held our meetings this year on the 11th, but the rest of the days, it is ours to use again. On that Saturday, we will have the meeting room in the resort for our use. My point is, lets fill up the resort with Donzi owners before others can start to get in there. The other advantage to registering early is dock slips. Frieda said there are 40 slips available. Currently, if everyone who was at this years event returns next year, there are 45 club members scheduled to be there. If we claim all of the dock space, there will not be any other boat models mixed in with our Donzis. (Except one very cool Formula Jr.) Now, I can hear the wheels turning all ready. The number of Donzi boats at the Awakening goal is 80. This I understand can be a problem. State Dock is where David Hicks (Bandit) docked his houseboat group and his 30' Black Widow, under cover. If he got 75' of boats in one slip, we could easily get 6 18'ers in one. Split that dock fee with 6 other owners and you see my point. I can also recomend the State Park as a place to stay while at the event. Only negative is the winding drive to the lodge, but it is a beautiful drive. I've not contacted the State Park lodge yet, but its on my list of to do's. I'm pushing for more discount for club members this year also. If you are not a member of the Midwest Donzi Club and would like to be, go to http://www.mwdonziclub.com and click on the Membership Button. Fill out the form and it will send an e-mail to me with your information which will then be displayed in the Members page. If you can, send a picture of your Donzi. I am creating a link to that picture where your boat is listed with your name on the Members page.

Bookmark the Midwest Donzi Club's page and look for updates and information on AOTH II. I haven't started working on the site yet, but it will be coming together very soon. The Members page is being updated as I receive your information. Contact the owners that are coming from your state. This year 4 of us from Ohio got together and traveled together to Lake Cumberland. It was a fun caravan and you know other drivers on the road were impressed also. Especially when we all made our gas stops. I'm really looking forward to getting this event together again this year and hopefully with the early start, I won't have as many really late nights at the computer. Yeah right!!

Pass it on to anyone you see with a Donzi. All models are welcome and the more different models, all the better. That includes you Donzi owning fishermen also. I'd like to see one of those fish boats with twin outboards on the back in person. If you haven't had a chance to pick up an August edition of HOT Boat magazine, they did an article on this years event. I hope to be able to do that again next year and who knows, maybe I can get SpeedVision to do a show on our Donzis. All of these ideas are being looked into. Make your plans and reservations early. More to come as it developes. :D

Formula Jr
08-17-2001, 08:38 PM
Wish my frontal lobes were as well developed.....

ROCK ON!!!!!!!
http://www.epud.net/~owen/dancedude.gif http://www.epud.net/~owen/dancedude.gif http://www.epud.net/~owen/dancedude.gif http://www.epud.net/~owen/dancedude.gif http://www.epud.net/~owen/dancedude.gif http://www.epud.net/~owen/dancedude.gif

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-18-2001, 07:21 AM
Scott, you know were in, I will call Frieda today, never to early for my wife to plan her work schedule.
Bryan and Nancy

GEOO
08-18-2001, 07:42 AM
JR- Get Help Soon!!!! http://www.epud.net/~owen/dancedude.gif :eek:

Scot,
I can hear the roar in the distance!!!
GEOO :)

boldts
08-18-2001, 11:27 AM
Midwest Donzi Club web site says 264 days and counting down.

Give me ideas for events while we're there. I'd like to get going on setting them up.

1. A couple days away from the lake for our family members. Caves, museums, horse farms, etc. (Friday and Monday?)

2. A poker run on Saturday to include a number of the other marinas on the lake.

3. Places to have breakfast, lunch and dinner other than the resort.

Please feel free those of you who attended this year's gathering to send me +'s and -'s about the gathering. Those of you who missed this year's event by all means give me your input also. With your help, we can make this gathering one of the biggest and most wanted to attend Donzi gatherings of the year. I'd like to see us move it around the Midwest in future years so we can give folks coming from the longer distances a break every now and then. Might be a while before your short drive though. The thought of visiting lakes we haven't seen before I think is wonderful. Not to mention, it brings a bargoning tool to our table in future years. (If Jamestown can give us this rate, can you do any better with your rate?) One problem I haven't figured out yet would be the sponsors who help us with the event. Sure would hate to loose the help we've worked hard to get. All just thoughts for down the road. We will be at Lake Cumberland in Jamestown, Kentucky this year with a longer stay and hopefully a better daily plan for everyone. Can we fit 80 Donzis up next to the 76 falls. Interesting challenge! That might need to be a complete day in itself including picnic lunch. Looking forward to it and I promise to bring name tags and pens for us this year. I can name just about everyone who was there this year, but the wives and kids are very schetchy. Those members who don't have your better halfs listed on the Club's Members list, send them to me so I can add them. Don't worry if your dating someone and it just doesn't work out, the list is an easy part to change. ;)

Forrest
08-18-2001, 07:36 PM
I won't miss it this year!

----------
Forrest

South of Coonbottom, FL

roadtrip se
08-20-2001, 10:10 AM
Hey folks,
We were on the big lake this weekend. Sans Donzi, but beautiful as always.
Scott, a couple of suggestions. Based on the response that we got from the Hot Boat article on AOTH1, why don't we ask Boating, Powerboat, Hot Boat, and Poker Run's America to publish the AOTH2 dates in their calender of events section. I'm sure they would.
Secondly, we should consider getting some event insurance. More people means more accident opportunities. I would happily pay an entry fee for this coverage.
AOTH2 is marked on our calenders and the Texas contingent will ride again. Todd

Formula Jr
08-20-2001, 03:38 PM
I second Todd's motion. I was expecting an entry fee of some sort for this very reason.
Remember, GeneD will most likely come next year and there's at least seven or eight channel markers on the lake. :D

Last Tango
08-20-2001, 09:32 PM
I suggest you also have the event listed in "Family and Performance Boating." I get all the other boat mags as well, but I REALLY like this one! They are the new kid on the block so they may lke to post gatherings since they are exactly what WE are all about.
Mark

boldts
08-20-2001, 10:08 PM
Everyone,

Thank-you for your ideas. Yes, I've been thinking pretty hard about a Release Form or some kind of insurance to protect the club and the event. I do not want to ask everyone to pay a registration fee if we don't have to. I really don't want to have people pay to have fun at a boat gathering. That is the same reason I'm trying not to have an annual club member's fee.

Advertising in the many boating magazines will depend on the cost to do so. I am presently working on placing an add in a few of the magazines for about 3 months before the gathering. I'm also looking into getting SpeedVision to come video the gathering and do a story on Donzi. We'll see what happens. If any of you have a contact at these magazines or SpeedVision, help me out with a name and or an e-mail address. I'd also like to get an article in one of these magazines again. Hot Boat I would think is open to the idea again for next year, but if not, there are many other publications. :)

Bandit
08-21-2001, 07:56 AM
A friend of mine owns Rockin Robin and I'm sure he would be up for a show.

ScottB., let me know how I can help out with the natives.

RedDog
08-21-2001, 02:16 PM
Room and slip reserved. Only 3 nights though (5/9, 10, & 11)

Time to start waxing ;)

bverd
08-22-2001, 09:36 AM
Okay... got my conformation #'s (room & slip) Good to go. Ariving the 9th. Can't wait. That is three now with Madpoodle and Reddog.

BERTRAM BOY
08-22-2001, 07:38 PM
Diana called for a room today, so we're going..... I talked to the Pearson's last night, and they're going......I can't wait. This is gonna be awesome !!!!!!!!
BERTRAM BOY

:D :D :D

Last Tango
08-22-2001, 08:52 PM
Room and slip are reserved. I'll be bringing "Last Tango" for a second year of fun! Hopefully this time I won't have to be towed home from the falls. Thanks for all your work on this event, Scott!
Mark Laszlo
Jacksonville, Fl
Classic 18, MX 6.2 MPI, B1P
Bimini and rainshield (cool shot of it on the Midwest Donzi website) A little dorky looking but painless in driving rain at 50+ MPH :cool:

boldts
08-22-2001, 11:22 PM
Tim, Brad, Bertram, Scott P., and Mark,

Glad to read you all are coming to next years Awakening. I know most of you have already registered to be club members. Bertram and Scott P., go to the Midwest Donzi Club web site and click on the Membership button. There is a form to fill out that gives me some information for our Members page. Also, as Mark mentioned, I am linking your boat information to a picture of your boat. I've done all the members that I happen to have a picture from this year's event, soooo if there isn't a picture linked to your boat description or you would like a different shot used, it means I need a picture of your boat!!! Whatever you have will do until some pictures can be taken at next year's event. Stay tuned to the web site because as the schedule is confirmed and set-up, I'll be updating the Awakening page. I'm also working on a new look for 2002. Haven't decided what I want to do yet though. So many decissions :confused: Let me know if there are talents that you would like to offer in helping to put next years event together. Any Artists out there? Need some T-shirt design help. I'm thinking we need a biiiiig Blower Engine on our backs next year. :eek: Stressing that Horsepower theme in the home of horse racing's biggest prize, the Kentucky Derby. :D

Formula Jr
08-23-2001, 01:37 AM
Also as far it being a dry county and all....... no need for discussion: There will be no need. I promise.

owen

GEOO
08-23-2001, 01:42 PM
Scot, I'm booked at Jamestown. Room & Dock. May 9th-14th. GEOO :) :)

boldts
08-23-2001, 08:49 PM
George,

Glad to hear it. Wouldn't be the same without you. Are you stopping at your wife's parents again? I can see the caravan building.