PDA

View Full Version : Hey Michigan Guys!-Tony, jaroot, etc....

Riley
08-17-2001, 10:22 AM
Hey guys, check out my post on the events and gatherings list regarding Houghton Lake, MI. I had an excellent meeting with the manager of the Holiday on the Lake Resort last night regarding a Donzi gathering at Houghton Lake. This could be the place in Michigan that is a reasonable drive for everybody, good boating, and a host bar-restaurant-motel that is taylor made for a boat party. Let me know what you think.....Thanks, Chris

Riley
08-17-2001, 12:11 PM
jamie, I hope you followed the thread over this way! I'm thinking maybe doing a small bash that second weekend in Sept (8-9). I really think this is THE place to hold any real large gathering of Donzi's next summer. Check out my other thread for details.

Tony
08-17-2001, 10:31 PM
Houghton Lake works great for me, and the facilities sound awesome too. Does this conflict with Sam's attempt to get together this fall in the SE corner of MI? Would the Motor City gang be receptive to coming up to Houghton instead of Toledo?

Ranman, Sam, Jaroot...what do you guys think? Maybe we could get 'Ol Red to bring one of his Corsicans over!

Riley
08-17-2001, 10:46 PM
Guys, this is by no means an attempt to take anything away from Sam's efforts down in the SE part of the state, And if it's either-or, I'd choose to put Houghton Lake off until next summer.

Jamie, to answer your question regarding the size of the Lake, I'm not sure about the acreage, but I do know the Lake has 72 miles of shoreline. It's big! But where we would be headquarterd is down in the SW corner of the lake and is pretty protected. One of my cutomers has a 25' Eliminator Daytona, and he would act as our guide on the Lake at least until we all get oriented.

If it doesn't work for a meet there yet this year I still think it could be fun for a few of us to get together in Houghton Lake sometime this Fall or Winter for dinner and drinks. Honest guys, you aren't going to believe what an absolutely perfect spot this Holiday on the Lake Resort would be for our purposes. As much as I love my Les Cheneaux Islands (Tony, you can attest to that!), this may be the best spot in the state for a top notch Donzi Party.

Let's keep the discussion going on this until we come up with a solid game plan.

Tony
08-18-2001, 12:30 PM
What about Houghton Lake over Labor Day weekend?

Riley
08-18-2001, 03:57 PM
Tony, I'll call the resort and see what the vanancy situation is looking like for Labor Day weekend. I know Jamie Root is looking to try and make an event before the end of the year, and he'll be at the Indy Nat's over Labor Day. What does everybody else think?

Sagbay32
08-18-2001, 06:19 PM
Hey this sounds like it could be cool. I live in Oakland county, but am from the Saginaw/Bay city area and would love to go north! I have been on Higgins lake a few times and it was very nice (my Bro-in-law has a place there). I did hear that Houghton was shallower than Higgins. If you don't think it would be a problem then I will start planning a trip. Keep us posted.

Mike

Brad Lyon
08-18-2001, 10:00 PM
Hey Chris,

Thanks again for the five stars!! The second weekend of September may work for me as well. I keep my boat on Secord Lake, just south of West Branch and I go up almost every weekend. I also know someone who owns some cabins on Houghton Lake. I'm sure I can get a great rate for someone. I will check into it to see if they will be available. I was also thinking about trying to arrange something on Secord Lake for early next summer. Again, I know the owner of Lost Arrow Resort. Very nice place, women really like it. Plus Secord Lake has over 2000 acres to have fun on.

Sincerely,

Brad ;)

Riley
08-18-2001, 10:30 PM
Brad, you're quite welcome. I'm familiar with Secord, we use to drag race sleds there a few year back. Nice Lake!

Okay, it sounds like the second weekend of Sept. might work out better for everybody. So far I count me, jaroot, Mike from White Lake, and Brad Lyon. Tony, what about you? Can you make it for Sept 8-9? How about you guys over on the west side of the state? Any takers from down in the Metro area?

boldts
08-19-2001, 09:51 AM
Hi all. Can you tell me what town Secord lake is near for future references. I'm planning to attend the Lake Cumberland Poker Run on Sept. 8th so I won't be able to join you this time. I would like to check out the lake though, just not that weekend.

Riley
08-19-2001, 10:37 AM
Scott, Secord Lake is near Gladwin, MI. However, we are shooting for Houghton Lake that weekend in Sept., not Secord. There may be meets at both Secord and Houghton Lake next summer.

jwright
08-19-2001, 10:58 AM
I am glad I found this thread, I have to look around the site more!
I am interested in getting togther too. Labor may not work out for me and I have a wedding to go to on 9/8. Any of the latter weekends are great though. I like the idea of Houghton Lake or the St. Clair River.
How much are rooms at the Holiday Inn? It may be cheaper after labor day.
Keep me posted.

digitalassociats
08-22-2001, 08:24 AM
So are we on for Sept. 8 & 9 in Houghton Lake? I got some information on the cottages on Houghton Lake. Each cottage has 2 bedrooms and a hide a bed. The rooms are $84.00 per night including tax. One problem though, after labor day they do not supply sheets for the beds or towels. The beds are full size. As of now there are five cottages available for Sept. 8 & 9 weekend. If anyone is needs more information let me know.

Sam
08-22-2001, 10:36 AM
What's the water and weed level like at Houghton ?

Sam

digitalassociats
08-22-2001, 11:55 AM
Jaroot, I'll meet you there. Where do you want to meet at. I know a little bit about the area. Will you come up on Friday or Saturday? Who else will join us?

Brad

Sam
08-22-2001, 03:36 PM
Count me in for Houghton Lk, I will drive up early Sat morning. If anyone wants to share a cabin let me know. Riley, let me know who to contact regarding a cabin.

Sam

Brad Lyon
08-22-2001, 04:47 PM
Sam,

Riley is the one who talked to the manager of the Holiday Inn. The cabins I wrote about are not the Holiday Inn. I don't know to much about them other than what I wrote earlier. If you need additional information about the cabins you can call Rick and Rochelle Jurvis at Beechwood Resort. Their number is (989) 366-0041. Let them know that you spoke to me (Brad Lyon) and that I am a friend of their son and daughter-in-law Eric and Jane Jurvis.

Don't know about anyone else but I am looking forward to going to Houghton Lake on Sept. 8 & 9.

Brad :D

Sam
08-22-2001, 04:55 PM
OK ! so what is every one doing as far a room for the night ?

Sam

Brad Lyon
08-22-2001, 06:16 PM
I will be going up to my place on Friday afternoon. From there it is only a 35 min. drive to Houghton Lake on Saturday morning. If we decide to stay overnite in Houghton Lake I will bunk with my friends. If not I will drive back to my place on Secord Lake and then come back up to Houghton Lake on Sunday morning if everyone else stays over on Saturday night.

Sam
08-26-2001, 04:14 PM
Riley, I would like try and firm up some plans for Houghton Lk on the 8th & 9th. For those of us that will be spending the night can you tell us where the best place to stay is. I think a map and or some directions to the launch site would be in order also. I will take off early Saterday morning from the Plymouth area. If there is anyone who would like to follow me up there let me know.

Sam

Sam
08-26-2001, 05:12 PM
I was just thinking that it might be fun to bring any spare props we may have laying around. Just a thought !

Sam

freeplay
08-27-2001, 12:08 PM
Hey guys, I'm booked for that weekend :( . If anyone wants to hook up on Lake St. Claire let me know.

Sam
08-27-2001, 08:59 PM
Freeplay, we plan on 9-22 for the St Clair area, check out my thread.

Sam

Riley
08-28-2001, 08:55 AM
Hey guys, sorry I have been out of the loop for a few days, I was out in California for work. I'll be starting a new thread later today with news on Houghton Lake for the 8-9 of September.....Chris