PDA

View Full Version : Formula 206LS Question

Greg
08-21-2002, 05:05 PM
Lately I've been backing off on the Donzi resto. Between my fiberglass guy busting out on me and me getting tired of grinding fiberglass and not having a boat. I've been thinking of buying another boat. My buddy's neighbor has a Formula 206LS, likes it very well. Its a late 80's or so. Does anyone have any info on these boats, or where one might go to look for one? Thanks

Cuda
08-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Great boat! There is a guy on a couple other forums that has one. I'll try to contact him and have him give you the info.

Iggy
08-22-2002, 08:45 AM
Hi!!
Cuda alerted me to your post.
I currently have an '88 Formula F-206 LS.

What info would you like to know?

Do I like mine?
I love it. Lots of fun and just big enough for the wife and I.

Engine?
Ours has the 350MAG, 270hp and an Alpha drive. Currently have over 400 hours on it and no real problems.

Speed?
58 mph on the GPS with full fuel, cooler, wife and grandson.

You say you'e planing to look for one? Check Boat Trader and E-Bay Motors.
Current prices are running around 10K to 15K depending on year/condition, trailer is usually included. I paid 13K for mine two years ago. There was one listed for 7K but needed and outdrive.

I have a copy (a poor one) of the original 1988 brochure from Formula on this model. I'd be glad to e-mail a copy to you if you'd like. If so send message to kellumrw@eccic.com and I'll attach a copy.

If you have any questions I'be happy to answer them for you.

Bob Kellum (Iggy)
Kissimmee, FL.

Greg
08-22-2002, 09:08 AM
Iggy, Thanks for the quick reply. I like the seating arrangement. How does it plane off with a load of people? The lake I boat on gets fairly rough for a boat of that size and I see so many boats just slugging through the water at a 45 degree angle not getting the bow down. After owning an 18' Donzi for years I couldn't bear the thought of not getting on plane quickly. Does yours have trim tabs on it? I've been checking trader on line and looked at a very nice one in McHenry last weekend. Unfortunately even after adjusting the price it was still out of reach for me, but still a fair price I thought. I still have the Donzi to finish. It was a beautiful boat though.

Iggy
08-22-2002, 11:03 AM
You've seen the size of the cockpit and seating area, with two adults in the rear, driver and mate up front it's a little slow to plane. I get impatient and ask for one person to step up to the front to bring the nose down quicker. And thats with the drive tucked in and the (Bennett)trim tabs down. I currently have a 21" pitch Mirage prop on it. Formula says I have the wrong prop, it should be a 19" Laser II.
That would greatly improve the out of hole problem.

I re-read you reply.
Your Donzi will come out of the hole a lot faster. The Donzi is also lighter than mine (3150 lbs dry). I also think my bottom angle is steeper than yours. Which makes mine harder to get up on plane.
I've been thinking about dropping in a 383" SBC engine with around 416 HP. All I need is the money. That would boost top end and shorten the time to plane.
I know a guy that dropped a 502 BBC in one. It hits 75 MPH but has uncontrolable chine walk at anything above 70. eek!

Greg
08-22-2002, 06:03 PM
The Formula I looked at was an '89. It had a 19" Mirage plus on it. The owner said it would do 56 at WOT. I'm putting a 388 in my 18'. The last time I drove it, it had a 289 with a 200 Volvo. I'm hoping for a considerable difference.

Cuda
08-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Greg, I was looking for a 206 when I found the F 20 SC that I have. It looks like the same hull to Iggy and me. It weighs the same too (3150). I bought mine with a 305/MR drive. I replaced them with a 330 horse 355 cu in and an alpha drive. I didn't do a lot of dialing in with props and trimming before I deciede to redo the interior. I did run 49.7 mph with a 24" Turbo prop at 4500 rpm. Two problems I encountered is it wants to start porposing pretty badly with any trim at all, and it lists to heels to port too. (no trim tabs) The interior resto is going more slowly now that I also bought a 242 LS, and spending every weekend on it instead of working on the 20.

Cuda
08-22-2002, 09:07 PM
I also meant to add that my 20 has a pretty pronounced hook in it. There are pics of it below int he "bowrail" post.

Iggy
08-23-2002, 05:22 AM
56 mph with a 19" prop is correct. I'll do the same if I drop pitch from 21" to 19".
Factory brochure claims a top end of 58 but that's with the 21" Mirage. They found later on that a 19" Laser was the better all around choice.

Mine will porpoise at low cruise speed and high trim. All I have to do is tuck the drive in a little or drop the tabs a touch.
A WOT and trimmed right it feels light, like it's floating on air. :cool: