PDA

View Full Version : Scarab construction?

Greg
05-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Does anyone know what type of resins Wellcraft was using on the Scarabs in 1986? I have some repairs to do on mne and want to use the right stuff. Thanks in advance, Greg

oldLenny
05-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Definately not Vinylester, maybe Isophthalic, but agin I doubt it. Most likely a General purpose lay-up resin. Greg, it doesn't matter. All three versions of the product are compatable. Iso is friendly to work with, Vinylester will sneak up on you and give no warning when it is going to "kick". These are all secondary bonds anyways so the resin is not really as big an issue as the actual "bond" is.

Buy an Isophthalic, grind the old like mad, 40 grit etc, give it a heavy wet-out and start the procedure. When your resin starts to "gel" in the pot you throw it out. You do not add more to it. Start with another can of it and carry on. You can add air-dryers in your last lay-up if you like or if you are painting the area afterwards, (with a coloured pigment/resin) add the driers to the resin/pigment coat. There is no bond like the initial bond when your boat was made. Hence why you lay them up all at once ( between days) and let the whole mess go off as a unit.

Remember, mat first, (1- 1 1/2 oz) and between every layer of rovings (or whatever re-inforcing fabric you have chosen)or you will not get a good bond and take chances on print-through.

Don't worry about it. Easy stuff.

Ed Donnelly
06-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Lenny,easy for you to say. I'm the type of person who has to scratch his nose right after using crazy glue,then get high using nail polish remover to free my finger from my nose...Ed