PDA

View Full Version : Magnum nearing completion

Eugene Nahemow
08-12-2002, 01:56 AM
I have been working on my Magnum for 3 years now.
I was not happy with the way the engine hatch looked and the engines were starving for air. Also changed my Hynautic steering to Marine Machine and redid my dash and helm. The fun never stops!!!! http://www.donzi.net/photos/ENahemow35.jpg http://donzi.net/photos/ENahemow28.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/ENahemow29.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/ENahemow30.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/ENahemow31.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/ENahemow32.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/ENahemow33.jpg

Staffan Berg
08-12-2002, 04:33 AM
WOW - Great Job

I have always wondered why the forward vents is mounted in different directions. Do you know why ?

What kind of sterndrive do you have - the lowerpart dont look like a Bravo One.

Why do you want to sell this masterpiece.

Once again - Great Job.

on_plane
08-12-2002, 07:08 AM
Looks awsome - you and Staffan have both done great jobs. Are you selling this boat? I thought I saw it on the Magnum Marine site.

I have a question on the k-planes. Are those 280s kplanes? How was the installation, do you have to pull the motors to get them in? My engine comparment is tight :( but I want to add them because my boat (1973 27' sport) has stock volvo 280s with no tilt. I want to use the planes as trim with the drive in the highest tilt pin hole. Do the tabs you have give you enough control input? Thnaks for any help in this matter. :) :)

Forrest
08-12-2002, 09:02 AM
Nice job!

Satffan - the small clam shell vents going in offosite directions is a US Coast Guard requirment. The bildge blower is under the vent pointing rearward.

On_plane - 280 K-Planes will bolt on without removal of your engines. It may help to remove the outside exhaust manifolds to gain access though. Mount the flaps 3/4" above and parallel to the bottom. Note where the hydraulic fittings go through the transom to avoid hitting the stringers. A new set will have complete instructions. You may need to make a template out of cardboard or 1/4" plywood.

on_plane
08-12-2002, 10:38 AM
Thanks Forrest, did you do you own or have them put on? I did a set of Bennett dual Ram Sport tabs on my old Checkmate, I would imagine that it is very similiar installation. I just get nervous drilling all those holes in a 30 year old boat... eek! I'm glad the engines can stay in.

bverd
08-12-2002, 02:23 PM
Wow... that is a beautiful boat, great job. --bverd

Eugene Nahemow
08-12-2002, 03:54 PM
The outdrives are TRS with nosecones.

The K planes as Forrest has said can be installed without pulling the engines. Although it is easier to rig without them!

Staffan,
As far as selling it,I grew up on the East coast and lived there for over thirty years. I always wanted a Magnum 27 and Donzi's. I bought this boat from an owner in Florida and had it shipped out to the West coast and have had alot of fun redesigning it and rigging it.
Unfortunately I want a boat that will suit my situation out here a little better. We have our weekend home on a lake and also need another boat which we have to ski and play with. I also visit other lakes and towing the Magnum over the mountains is not fun. So between the two boats, I spend too much time maintaining them. So with that being said, I would like something that would fit both criteria of a ski boat and rough water boat, which ultimately will probably be a 22
Classic.
Although I am in no rush. :D :D
I hope you are getting to enjoy your Magnum.

harbormaster
08-12-2002, 06:58 PM
Fabulous Eugene! Absolutely Fabulous!

Cuda
08-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Wow! That is an awesome boat.

smoothie
08-12-2002, 09:04 PM
Man,you talk about a classic in show boy condition,I would take that ride over any new boat out there!And you say you might sell her,that will be the day! :rolleyes: what a fine work of art,come on give us some specs on the motors and top speed wink

Eugene Nahemow
08-13-2002, 05:11 PM
Smoothie,
Thanks. The engines are 350 Chevy's,with new Vortec heads and Competition cams. I have also replaced the carburetors to Mercury Racing 700cfm and have Keith Eikert Flame arrestors.The manifolds are Stainless Marine. Compression on the engine is right around 10:1
These engines are rated at 425hp. I run 92 octane with an additive "boost power" from CP Performance. I have the complete specs on these motors at my weekend house and will post when I am up there. I have not had the chance to play with props yet this season with the new motors in. So I am not sure what top speed is. Last year running in a slight chop with some air under the hull I was seeing between 69-72mph on the GPS.
Although I don't think I'll be see any significant gains with the engines reworked. I have talked to my mechanic about prochargers. Who knows.... I might get bored this winter. :D
Regards.
P.S. You've got a really nice boat there. I was very interested in that boat when it was on the market last year. Didn't that have nitrous on it at one point?

HyperDonzi
08-13-2002, 06:24 PM
wow. that looks amazing. i would compliment more but give me a little while for the shock of the beauty to wear off!!

harbormaster
08-13-2002, 06:27 PM
What are you asking for your boat Eugene?

Eugene Nahemow
08-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Scot,
I was asking $60,000 for it before I put on the hatch. Although I don't think I can recoup my cost on the hatch.

I have had a good chuckle over the thread about James's aka "clayman" hatch. His asking price for reproducing a hatch with the scoop is a steal!!
When I add up the costs of: building the hatch,upholstery work,scoops,hinges, redoing power lift, tooling the grates to match Magnum's original air intake grates, plating the grates, painting the hatch, it come to a total close to 10K.
I unfortunately don't have the time or talent to do this work myself, but I know great people to handle my brainstorms.
Steve aka "ponyboy" hatch is also really nicely executed. I really like how it contours to the body of the boat.

I have a good idea on my total cost into this boat, and it has easily broken the 100k mark. eek! eek!

Boats like this are very hard to sell though. The market is infinitesimal. In a boat this size most people would rather have a newer boat they can finance, and also have some creature comforts. I would also really like to know that it was going to someone who could appreciate the boat, and be able to claim visitation rights.
:D :D

seano
08-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Eugene,

As always, the boat looks awesome! I really like what you did with the scoops...and the inserts are icing on the cake!

Who's nose cones are on those drives? I'm considering nose cones for my TRS and was also wondering if you saw any speed increase with the cones?

Great job!

Digger
08-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Eugene, absolutely gorgeous. I would love to own it. But then again there's lots of things I would love to do...

enjoy!

Gearhead99
08-14-2002, 04:12 PM
Very, Very nice

smoothie
08-14-2002, 08:07 PM
Eugene,
So you are the one that they told me about "all the way from the west coast" Im sure glad you passed on it,yes it did have a bottle tapped into it,The way the story goes it was only used twice,he had a hard time steering the boat when he hit the button,I removed it when I lowered the compression.I have always wanted to own a 20 cig from the time that I saw one at a boat show in 1978,sure has been a great summer with my new old cig. :D

Eugene Nahemow
08-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Sean,
The nosecones are one of the only things that I didn't replace on the boat. They were on the drives when I purchased it. So I couldn't tell you whose brand they are. I hope you get the new boat running to your liking soon.

Digger,
Thanks, but it seem like you already have a load of toys to play with! My son would gladly trade you the boat for the 'copter. :D

Smoothie,
It was really tough to pass on that boat. If it had stayed on the market much longer it probably would be making a trip to the left coast. Especially since it was in my favorite colors!

Eugene Nahemow
08-17-2002, 01:54 PM
Madpoodle,
The lowers are painted to match the silver on the boat. I wish the were polished, although they would just be another item to maintain!
Regards.