PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt "Corsican"

rustnrot
10-07-2003, 09:33 PM
From the ad: "18' 1971 Cobalt (Donzi)
Engine: Holman Moody, 300hp.
This boat is one of nine made by Cobalt out of a Donzi mold. $15,900.00"

Link is here http://www.antiqueboat.com/boats/MoreInfo.asp?SKU=mart18

Are these worth a hoot? If I repainted it and put a Donzi sticker on it could you guys tell the difference? <Flame suit on>.

Ad says only 9 made. How many of the Real Corsicans were made?

ToonaFish
10-07-2003, 10:26 PM
rustnrot:

Are these worth a hoot? If I repainted it and put a Donzi sticker on it could you guys tell the difference? <Flame suit on>.
I wonder if we could get Donzi Dud flame suits like these? (http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html) :D

I'm sure that Ole Red, or Griz, or MPHATC (sp?) will soon chime in on the joys of Corsicans... but most splashes aren't going to enjoy the value of the original. But I've been wrong before.

Bunches,

Celene "and the Cobalt.net isn't nearly as addicting"

Craig
10-08-2003, 06:33 AM
Rustnrot,

That boat's been for sale off and on (or maybe just by the same place - can't remember). Seems like someone finds it and posts something on it about once / year or so.

It's a copy of the Corsican. made, by Cobalt, most likely in '68 or '69 (based on my "research"). Cobalt produced these, apparently without license and production was halted, hence the low numbers.

I have a Cobalt copy of the Sweet 16 / Ski Sporter from 1969 (Supposedly about 40 of them made).

There have been quite a few posts on them.

I'll have say I'm pretty well "addicted" to mine even though it's not a "real" Donzi.

I wouldn't try to make it a "fake Donzi." That'd make it a fake Donzi and a fake Cobalt (wouldn't it?) I'm confusing myself!!!!

If I had the means to scarf it up, I'd leave it as is; a real Cobalt (for what that's worth) that looks like a Donzi (an obvious plus, whatever the model).

They look cool and run about the same. For a summary of what they were check out this post:

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005898#000000

Here's a couple old pics of mine (copy of 16):

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann19.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann41.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann25.jpg

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
10-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Craig:

I think you should snatch it up. C'mon, it'll probably go for less than the price of a Toyota.

I'm also keeping my eye on that Cobalt/Continental/Mandella up in the northwest for you.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Continental-Mandella.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Continental-Mandella2.jpg

Think of it; you'll be the king of Cobalt splashes! You can wear a t-shirt that says "I'm not Scott Pearson".

FR :p

ToonaFish
10-08-2003, 11:42 PM
I'd buy a Pearson shirt, but only in orange.

Bunches,

Celene "not brave enough to visit FR's attic"

olredalert
10-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Rustnrot,

-----While these Cobalts arent DONZIs,they are good boats.This Corsican pop is also rare.With all that said,I think I would look for a real Corsican made by a company that had the vision to design and build these little pocket-rockets in the first place.
-----Craig has a great Cobalt,and he appears to be having a ball with it.Thats what its all about,but I think he may admit that he would rather it was a DONZI at the end of the day.I hope Ive said this correctly as I dont wish to step on Craigs toes.
-----Also have noted that this boat has been out there for sale for several years.Wonder why?By this time a lot of people have to have looked at it.The windshield is missing,but I guess its possible that Cobalt Corsicans didnt come with windshields.It seems to me,however,that the ads that I have seen posted for this model show it with a windshield,so that would be a minus.I know that DONZI Corsicans have an inset ledge at the rear edge that is there specificly for the windshield to index into,and were designed to have the windshield.Cant quite see if that ledge is there in the pics or not.The screw holes for the windshield are not in evidence.Other minor stuff as well.Wrong steering wheel.Possibly the wrong vents.Unless I missed them there were no engine shots.
-----All in all,though, I hope the boat brings the price or near it.Im sure Mario does too..........Bill S

Craig
10-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Flat Racer - Toyota makes a boat?

Oldred - No offense taken. I'm not sure it's that I'd rather have "the real McCoy" than what I got, it's more like I want one of those too!! (But I want an 18!) The reason I was attracted to the boat was, certainly, because it "looked like a Donzi" but I have had a lot of unexpected fun with the "wierdness" of the boat too. Took it out yesterday, and some guy at a restaraunt dock, said "that's a Donzi, right?" --- Nope, actually... etc. etc. (my wife and kids look on in terror - "here he goes again" -- all 4 of them can tell the dreaded "Donzi -Cobalt" story in their sleep).

Actually I think the newest Cobalt's are pretty sharp, but I didn't really like the way most of their other 70's models looked; plush, but they sure weren't what you'd call performance boats. Kind of bulky. I always liked the Donzi's, though there were only a few around where I grew up.

Regarding the windshield on the boat for sale, it should have one, even according to the picture in the old Cobalt catalog. Actually Tony (red 16' from Michigan) sent me pics a few years ago of one of these "Cobalt Corsicans" (Cobalt dubbed them "GT-500's")that his friend has and it does have a windshield. This boat's glass must've got busted.

Re: the price, I think it's set there this long just because the price is too high. Rare or not; cool or not. It's like the very cool powder blue GT-21 that's been at that marina in Washington state (forget marina name) for a long time now. It's awesome, but, even guys here said the price they're asking was way too high.

I got a handful of pics of this Cobalt boat somewhere and it did look real nice otherwise (good paint or gel coat (whichever it is), nice interior). Just a bit too much on the price tag. How's about 10 or 11K???

Hey - actually, my Cobalt is evolving into a Donzi. My "new used" 280 outdrive came from a 70's Donzi 16, and my "new used" prop came from yet another 70's Donzi.

I know it's a Cobalt, but it thinks it's a Donzi.

BUIZILLA
10-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Toyota does/did make a boat. It was/is a sleek looking ski boat built in the Orlando area with a Lexus 300hp V8 engine. One of my neighbors on Centerhill Lake has one. It may be 4 or 5 years old by now though. I have no idea if they are still being made or not. Another boat I saw on the same lake had a marinized Caddy Northstar engine in it, but the hull builders name escapes me at the moment.

J

Craig
10-09-2003, 09:00 AM
No way! Toyota? Would that be a "Sea Cruiser"???

Toyota Land Cruiser, Sea Cruiser...

ToonaFish
10-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Craig, we are the Donzi borg. You have been assimilated. :p

Craig
10-09-2003, 12:49 PM
...and that is good.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
10-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Resistance is futile!

What I meant by the Toyota comment was; what else could you buy for $15K (or less) that would be half as cool as the Cobalt Corsican Splash? Besides, you need an 18' boat for the rougher days. Then your stories could be twice as long! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FR :p

Craig
10-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Now see, that makes sense.

Okay, all I gotta do is talk my wife into a second boat and...

...hmmm, wait... I'll need more (and better) reasons to make this work. Sometimes she's not as practical as I am.

ToonaFish
10-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Craig:
I'll need more (and better) reasons to make this work. Sometimes she's not as practical as I am. The Corsican is cheaper than a mistress. Wives understand that kind of financial reasoning.

mphatc
10-18-2003, 08:39 PM
It's been a busy week, I haven't had time to reply to this earlier . . .

As a splash of a Corsican they did an excellent job . . but this boat was for sale long before I bought mine from Bill S. I didn't buy because it wasn't the real thing. For that reason I don't believe it will ever bring the money they want.

It's the same as the authentic Cobra 427 built in the 60s and the numerous Cobra replicas that were recently built. A replica is a replica . . . .
regardless of how accurate.

Yes Bill you're right, I'd love to see this one bring the asking price, but I'm sure it won't. :(

MPHATC aka Mario

Craig
10-18-2003, 09:10 PM
You just gave me an idea for a name for my Cobalt XV-200:

"Unreal"

I've already considered:

"CONZI" -- Since it's a "CO"-balt D-"ONZI" copy (CO+ONZI), and my name is "CON"-rad "ZI"-mmermann (CON+ZI). So it applies to the boat and my name. Only trouble is I'm just not sure I like the way it sounds for some reason.
(Yes, my name is really "Conrad." It's like Tom, Dick or Harry if you live in Germany. That's why I use Craig (my middle name)mostly.)

Also -- once considered "CHRISTINE" after my wife, but afraid people would associate it with the movie about the possessed car!

I have one other that I'm not saying as it's a good one and someone else might use it.

But, "Unreal" has a nice ring to it.

...although it is actually a real boat... Not a real DONZI... but a real COBALT.

Pepsi's not "the real thing" and I drink them on occassion...

So much to think about...

rustnrot
10-18-2003, 10:20 PM
You mean as in Conzilezza Rice?

Craig
10-19-2003, 06:56 AM
See what I mean, it just doesn't sound cool...

Still, maybe...

Craig
10-20-2003, 06:23 AM
Although I could offer boating services to the Secret Service with a name like that, I guess....