PDA

View Full Version : Value of 68' Rayson Craft???

Racin'Craft440
08-05-2002, 10:55 AM
Just looking for some opinions on a flat-bottom 18' 68 Rayson Craft that I'm looking at that is for sale.

It is extremely solid, appears to have always been garage kept, turn key but could use a tune up, battery, and some minor cleanup.

It is powered by a Mopar 440 (69 w/67 closed chamber heads), velvet drive and a casale v-drive unit. Very retro, with edelbrock log manifolds and thru-transom exhaust.It has a fresh interior and seems to hold oil pressure well, all gauges work, OK paint.It has the single lever adjustable cavitation plates too.

I would be the 4th owner and everything appears to be OK except the guy selling it said the Casale unit needs a seal at the input.

I know what he's asking and will let you guys know, but need opinions on what everyone feels it's worth, seriously.

Thanks

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Is it a wood decked Rayson or an all glass boat? The wood deck models are the hot ticket for cool nostalgia collector interest, but you have to be careful to make sure the deck is in good shape and not delaminating underneath. It's a big job to replace one of these decks and it's expensive.
Also, does it have a racing history, and if so, can it be documented? That could also increase its collector value.
Does it have a divided passenger compartment, or is it all one big cockpit opening?
Post a pic if you can.

Eric :)

DinghyBoy
08-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Flatracer,

That's my buddies boat and I can answer for him.

It doesn't have a wood deck, fiberglass. No racing history. All long term private owners (3) and the last guy only this summer.

No divided compartment either.

We will post pic's ASAP.

I'm thinking $4500-$5500?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-06-2002, 09:07 AM
Sounds like the right neighborhood price-wise, (but is that the asking price, or what the buyer is hoping to pay?) although there are so many variables that could drive the value up or down.
What exactly is in the engine? And is it compatible with the buyer's intended use? Expensive trick internals and 12.5:1 compression are great for a racer, but do you really want to buy racing gas to go waterskiing? You see what I mean.
Also, check the plywood core CAREFULLY!!!
A boat can have a great paint job and look like a million bucks and be practically worthless. Not to say that it can't be fixed, but at what price?? Re-coring a hull is more expensive than buying a new bare hull and re-rigging it with the old hardware and should only be done if the original hull is rare and has some historical significance.
Replacing stringers is somewhat less prohibitive. look for discoloration in the coring near any cracks in the fillet where the stringers meet the floor.
Add this advice to the advice given over at HotBoat online, and you shouldn't go too far wrong. Good luck

Eric :)

P.S. Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!

Racin'Craft440
08-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Thanks fr!

I'm not so concerned about the motor or compression. I have 440's and several sets of the lower compression open chamber heads.

The inside of the hull looked very clean with no cracks, ruptures, blisters or anything else to speak of. It generally looked to be well stored and looking underneath it had no injuries to the hull.

I'll post pic's sometime next week when I get back into town.