PDA

View Full Version : Found in a Barn!!!!

MOP
05-04-2003, 02:44 PM
I found a 1972 Monza looks to be 25-26 in cherry condition looks like a Cigarette, crawl in cuddy, two buckets, bench across back, repowered with 260 Merc blocks hooked to 270 Volvos bronze 21" OTH wheels, S/S logs and risers with back down chambers out the back. Boat appears to be very custom, fiber glass hull. The deck is strip planked with 3/4 mohogany/holly it would turn the head of the Pope. It is beautiful looks like it only a few years old. Drives and machinery are pin clean. Any body have a clue what something like this might be worth? There is some other facts I am keeping to myself at this point, it seems as if this boat was custom built for some one very famous. I may let the moths fly out of my wallet for this one!

olredalert
05-04-2003, 07:25 PM
M.O.P.,

-------Is that the narrow hull?The detail sounds unusual for one of those but cool!..........Bill S......ol red!

MOP
05-04-2003, 07:58 PM
I would say about 7 foot beam, deep Vee looks like an offshore racer.

MOP
05-05-2003, 12:00 PM
More info, it is 25' with a 7' 6" beam. The hull is all glass, the deck is all wood with alternating of looks like 1X1 mohogany and holly very high gloss the engine hatch is glass with sun pad. The engines I was told are repowers 260 Mercs, its got Holleys on GM manifols, large oil coolers front mounted and the very well constructed S/S exhausts the 270 drives are swinging 16X21 cupped bronze OTH wheels. It at one time had transom water pickups. It must have been well cared for and always inside, there is no corrosion on the rub rails or windshield frame or for that matter even in the engine compartment.

smoothie
05-05-2003, 12:37 PM
What are you waiting for... :)

MOP
05-05-2003, 04:48 PM
The Plot Is Thickening! Did a pretty thourough inspection today and drug it out to photo it. Spoke with owner guy who owns an investment firm. Rumor has it that this may have been Elvis Preslys boat (thinking more toward BS) it has his wife and daughters names on the back along with I guess you might say an Elvis Logo, on the sides it says 197?-197? and a song title. I have sent Monza Marine a note to see what they can tell me. I think it was just an Elvis fans boat but who knows, I did find out that it was repowered in 1996 run twice and put in storage since. The mechanics have been starting and restoring engines each year and say they are mint. I will try to get photos done Tues and post them. I am going to Elvis sites now to see if he ever had a Monza!

pokster
05-15-2003, 08:55 PM
I would love to see some big pictures of her. She sounds beautful, Is she going to get a new home?

MOP
05-15-2003, 09:29 PM
I,ve been trying to catch the land owner hoping he can give me some info. It is real interesting, would make a nice rough water cruiser. I would love to have the time and moxy to put a pair of the Cummings 6's in it. I think it would make a nice package.

BUIZILLA
05-16-2003, 06:42 AM
MOP, the new Cummins 4BTA-250hp 4 cylinders are powerhouse engines. Then you also have the 4 cyl Yanmars and the 235hp KAMD42 Volvo's...

J

MOP
05-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Buizilla at this point my funds are ear marked for my place in Costa Rica or eaten up by caring for my other half Dad, but if a windfall came by I'd be thinking about this one. Question did they have 250 6 before the 250 4. I have sold a couple of boats with the 4 it is a strong runner.

Dreams of jack shafts, Arnesons!

BUIZILLA
05-16-2003, 07:50 AM
MOP, of the first four 250 6 cylinders that ever came to Fla., I had 2 of them, in the first 35' Contender that was ever built. It was the 1989 Mia. Boat Show boat.

I think Blackfin got the other 2 that month.

The first 250's in 1989, and early 1990, with the rotary Lucas fuel pump were actually 275hp. Mine had 1.23 ZF gearbox's. The fuel pumps took a crap pretty quick with the stressed out fuel settings, but boy did they make power.

The 370 engines came out later...then they wacked 2 cylinders off the 370, and viola', they had a 250 four cylinder whopper.

J

MOP
05-16-2003, 07:11 PM
I thought so, as friend repowered his 36 pacemaker with 250's I was pretty sure they were 6's. It had 454 350hp, the Cummings were a scream by comparison went from 21kt cruise to 26kt cruise was amazing on less than half the fuel according to him.

XK18_1972
05-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Hi!,

Do you already own this boat? I see it posted on your webpage of boats for sale;

http://www.taber2boat.com/

and you also seem to have the history pretty much known there;

Accommodations
Cuddy cabin good for over nighting, small hanging locker and a Porta Potti. There is a small day ice box in the forward bulkhead. All upolstry and canvas in good condition. There is a hide away bimini top that looks to be new. The boat wass owned by an Elvis fan, in script on the starboard side is"Don't Be Cruel 1935 to 1977" and on the port side "Thats Allright 1935 to 1977" On the transom is KING ELVIS to port and Gladys Vernon, Elvis, Lisa Marie.

Mechanical
The owner reports the boat was re powered with new 260HP Volvo units in 1996, they have well over sized remote oil filters and very large oil coolers. I believe the exhaust manifolds ar made by Stainless Marine and are in perfect condition. It was used just a few times then put into storage the end of 1996. It has been started on a regular basis and I have checked with the mechanics they say it runs excellent. The boat has always been stored inside and shows of great care. The rub rail and windshield frame are of aluminum with no pitting what so ever. The drive are 270 Volvos with 16X21 OTH bronze cupped wheels.

Deck
Custom strip plank with a very high gloss finish very eye catching. Nice sun pad on the stern.

along with all the photos. Why don't you just direct us to your web page. I see you are asking $20,000 for it. That sounds pretty reasonable for such a cool boat!

Fish boy
05-17-2003, 05:47 AM
Probably would have made a really good email- hope there was not a really good reason for not putting the web page on here yet.

MOP
05-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Been in contact with Richie Powers at Nova a really interesting guy. I have asked the owner for the hull ID which may answer any remaiming questions. If everything the owner has told me is on the up & up I think is is a real interesting boat. I don't have any reason to doubt him from what the mech say and its very obvious he's got a buck. A dust off compound and wax she is ready for Clayton. I have a hunch it was a fresh water boat for alot of its life.