PDA

View Full Version : Chris Craft XK19

boatnut
04-29-2003, 10:19 AM
Anyone have any info/comments on the Chris XK19 boats (glass) from the 70's? At first glance it looks like a heavily built deep hull (vaguely similar to Donzi Hornet or GT models??). Any comments from anyone who owned one or used one would be appreciated. Ed

catch 22
04-29-2003, 11:16 AM
Boatnut it's funny that you ask. before we bought our 22 classic I saw this boat in a storage yard in south Key Largo. I stopped to see what it was and asked if it was for sale. The guy told me that the owner was delinquent in paying his account and he would call me to let me know if it was for sale. The owner paid up on his account and the boat was not for sale. Yesterday I was down in the Keys and stopped and took a couple pictures of this boat. I'm sitting hear as I type looking at the photos. I don't know much about it, it had a small block Ford and a Volvo outdrive, through hull exhaust. The motor was all disassembled laying in the engine box. Needed some work, but I think it could be saved. Like I said, the boat was not for sale, I thought it was a Hornet or some type of Donzi when I first saw it. It was backed in and all I could see was the front view. I have a couple of pictures if you would like to see them. I am new at this computer stuff, but I can try to e-mail these pictures somehow. Still learning my digital camera and how to download and send pictures. Jim :)

Formula Jr
04-30-2003, 01:38 AM
http://www.epud.net/~owen/tahoe/chriscraftsporter.jpg

This was Chris Craft's Flag Ship introduction in the making FiberGlas boats. They are also known as the Super Sports. They look like Donzis cause, Jim Wynne designed them - same guy that did the ,16, Hornet and the 28. They made very few of these, somewhere in the 500 range. Don't know why the one you saw had an outdrive, they were all V-Drive boats originally. They were increadibly expensive boats in their day. Much more expensive than any 19 foot Donzi. There was a really nice one for sale a couple years ago for 12K.

MOP
05-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Spotted this one looks like a real rare bird!

http://www.forestportboatco.com/ChrisCraft.htm

boldts
05-01-2003, 10:01 PM
There is one of these on a local lake I go to here in OH. I saw the marina where it is docked pulling it out last fall. Boat is dk blue and unfortunately left in the water all summer at the dock. We go to this lake pretty often and I've never seen it leave the dock. Boat also doesn't appear to be very well taken care of as it could use some TLC. Sure would like to talk to the owner just to find out more about it.

Eugene Nahemow
05-02-2003, 12:19 AM
I love these boats. If I could have a museum this would be one of the boats.

I spoke to the owner of forestportboatco.com last year. He seems to have a Chris always for restoration. The boat he has in his photo is just one for show. He quoted me around $30K for a show quality boat.

But alas, I want a show quality Donzi. The Chris will have to wait.

Rodger
05-02-2003, 07:56 AM
I drove a Chris-Craft SS very often back in 1969 as one of my ski buddies bought one new then. It had the V-drive with the 327 Chevy. At the time it seemed a bit slow to us because he had traded a mid 60's Century Coranado for it. The Century had a big Cadillac Engine with dual quads and was noticably faster than the SS. The SS though, rode better and was fun to drive. I've seen a couple of SS's with the Volvo package. When my friend eventually sold the SS; the new owner had intentions of converting it to an I.O.