PDA

View Full Version : Who knows the 21' Shadow?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
07-14-2002, 01:27 PM
Went to the Radar Shootout in Bayville, NJ yesterday where I saw a nice looking sportboat moored there. It had Shadow written on the side, looked to be about 21', and probably had a big block. It had a scoop that's probably aftermarket. It looked a lot like a 21' Challenger. Could even be from the same mold. Does anyone know the history of these boats?

Eric :)

Gearhead99
07-14-2002, 02:12 PM
I thought they were the same boat.

07-14-2002, 07:10 PM
I understand that the 21' Challenger mold was sold to Superboat after Challenger went out of business. Was the Shadow splashed from one of those?

McGary911
07-15-2002, 06:37 PM
For the past 2 years or so, I've seen a boat sitting in Long Branch, NJ, as I whizz by on the train. Looks to be about 21', and when the train is slow enough, I could swear it says shadow on the rear flank. Looks to be set up for a single outboard. Boat had a single center "wire rail" down the front of the deck, like an old cig. The boat in Long Branch vanishes in the summer. Was this a dark color (purple boat). Does this description sound familiar?

RT
07-19-2002, 10:12 PM
I knew the original builders of the Challenger 21
and owned the factory raceboat for 7 yrs. Before Challenger went out, the hull design was leased to
Art Carlson, of Glastron/Carlson boats and they brought one out with a windshield and built in swim platforms. I also had one of these.When Challenger was sold indeed Superboats did get one of the molds, as did Shadow. Shadow also got the designer, George Linder, and he went on to design the 30 Shadow Catamaran Offshore boat and redesigned the bottom of the 21 to now include
a notch and stepped hull. Chriscraft leased a mold of the cat and Superboat stretched one to 32
which is still made today. Glastron, Shadow, and Superboat all made models with I/Os, but the majority were outboards. Shadows were built around the Lake Hapatcong area, as were original
Sutphins, Superboats in Lindenhurst, Long Island,
still today, and the Glastrons in Texas, I believe.John Coen, Superboats, George Linder, Richie M.(his last name escapes me), Hank Cole, all the original Challenger co. owners, and myself
were all charter members of the Great South Bay
Performance Club out of Patchogue, LI, NY.

Philip47
07-24-2002, 05:58 PM
Go to "other performance boats for sale" go back 75 days and look at my 22'Apache and see what you see!

07-25-2002, 10:29 AM
So, lemme see if I got this straight. George Linder designed the hull. Challenger produced it first. Then molds got sold to Superboat and Shadow. How did Apache get a mold? I see that the Apache came with a different deck though. And how does Glastron figure into this? What did their boat look like with the swim platform etc.? Is Shadow still in business? Dumb question (I should know this): Is Apache still in business and are they still producing the 21'?
So many questions from a bored broke racer stuck at home! :rolleyes:

Curious Eric

RT
07-25-2002, 09:55 PM
I'm not 100% sure about Apache, but I'm sure you have heard of the term " splashing". If not, that is copying another hull design, making small changes, and you have a new boat. I believe the Apache is 22' long, meaning a hull was cut and lenghtened. I know someone who stretched a 21'
superboat to 24'. Don't know if ever finished?
The Glastron hull was a legimate lease setup
from Challenger, as George Linder and Art Carlson where
friends. I don't have any pics of that boat but the model name was Challenger Mark II.They came in Metalflake colors, mine light brown/ off white.
They had windshields, factory deck hatch, and the intergrated swim platforms.Artie.

Philip47
07-27-2002, 02:26 PM
the Apache has a different deck, and no it does not measure 22' it is 21' and change same as Challenger, it's inch for inch a Challenger hull with a different deck, they procuced about a dozen before devolping their own 21/22 the "Scout"

I don't believe that Apche has produced a "small" hull in quite some time

07-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Phillip,

I remember the Apache Scout from some brochures I picked up at a boat show. I like the deck design on your boat better than the Challenger deck. It looks more modern. How are you making out with it? I guess you're no longer looking to sell it.

Eric :)

Philip47
07-28-2002, 10:21 PM
will sell when finished.........

Engine is in South Florida for a full balance & blueprint, roller cam etc, has Gill exhaust , rectangular port heads, new crank, rods, etc.

Shooting engine compartment in Yellow Rhino Liner

07-31-2002, 10:18 PM
Phillip,

Just a thought: The Rhino Liner would hide any stress cracks that may appear around the stringers etc. whereas gelcoat would not. A suspicious buyer (like me) looking at the boat might think someone's trying to hide something under all that truck-bed liner. eek! Also, I hear it's hard to remove should repairs become necessary. It could become an impedement to your selling the boat.
Like I said, just a thought.

Eric

Philip47
08-01-2002, 08:42 PM
good point, I'll paint bilge with splatter paint instead and leave engine compartment white.
Spoke with engine builder today, he says 550HP!

Wildfire
08-01-2002, 08:48 PM
There is an Apache Scout for sale in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Looks real nice - I bought my Magnum from this guy. He seems nice, and definitely has the boat trading bug.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?s=d7a34e5088130c2eb809f23c37346b0b&threadid=17209

http://forums.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?s=d7a34e5088130c2eb809f23c37346b0b&threadid=17208

mattyboy
08-01-2002, 09:33 PM
I think there was also a splash marketed as a Midnight Express definetly a copy of the challenger. there was one for sale on LI for like 9g with a 2.5 merc had a bimini top too.
my first ride in a 80 mph boat was in a challenger with twin 200's in the late 79 or 80
named infinity 2 what a ride!!! I belive that boat was raced out on the Island

Matt

08-06-2002, 09:26 AM
Thanks Matt and Wilfire for the hot tips on the boats for sale, but....OUTBOARDS??? Thanks fellas, but I think I'll leave the blender on the kitchen counter! :p :rolleyes:
Why do you think it is that whenever you see a speedboat on TV with an outboard, they always have a soundtrack from an inboard? Because it sounds cooler!! (couldn't possibly be because television shows are made by, as well as for idiots?, :mad: ...Nah!)

For all you outboard fans out there: I'm JUST KIDDING! wink

Eric :p :p