PDA

View Full Version : Interior Neon Lighting

HyperDonzi
07-08-2002, 08:35 PM
for the gunnels and under the dash im looking at installing some neon light tubes red to match the boat. theres already power to the gunnels for small wite lights and a switch for the lights that i will use. its gonna be 8-10 neon tubes 6-8 will be 15" and the other 2 will be 9" the boat will be running the entire time that these will be on. will these draw to much power and make a fuse blow? does anyone think anything bad about neon and boats? fire hazard?
thanks,
tommy

harbormaster
07-08-2002, 09:51 PM
That might look very cool...

Dr. Dan
07-09-2002, 06:19 AM
Hyper, I would not recommend actual neon tubes in your boat for a couple of reasons: reliability after wave crashing, safety should they bust loose and hit the floor of the boat and your initial concerns! :p I do know that a better and safer alternative is "Fiber Optic Lites"...you would have to do some research, but they address most of the safety and operational concerns and it's one lite source,not several! Just a thought! I will let you know if I come up with any info... :D I have seen some incredible stuff done with this method, including weaving it into your carpet,and it works...Doc

HyperDonzi
07-09-2002, 09:21 AM
ill look for the fiber optic lighting. do you have any idea of how much this goes for per foot?

HyperDonzi
07-09-2002, 09:22 AM
and harbormaster, i was thinking the same thing, red glow on a red and black boat...

harbormaster
07-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Hey Baja, have a look at these. These might be what you are looing for.

12VDC flat electro-luminescent tape (http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=PC8470)

What is it?

It is a Electrochemical Light Source only 0.025” thick which uses a phosphor crystal that emits light when power is passed through it.
Its coo because it generates light without heat.
It's light output is dependent upon voltage and frequency.
It is a Capacitive Load not a Resistive Load
Distance from the lamp can be easily differentiated.
Does not generate heat.
Does not have a filament to break.

or Cold Cathode lights (http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=8242)

HyperDonzi
07-09-2002, 05:24 PM
herbormaster, interesting but i would need more length.
take a look here http://www.streetglow.com/site/auto7.htm
wire light

HyperDonzi
07-09-2002, 06:37 PM
HARBOR MASTER, CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES!

harbormaster
07-10-2002, 08:21 AM
Baja,
Check yours.

ToonaFish
07-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Could you guys let us know the final decisions on the lighting? I think this is a very cool idea and would like to reference your findings in the future!

Bunches,

Celene 'glowing in the dark'

HyperDonzi
07-10-2002, 03:55 PM
i think i will try the street glow ones, scott, thanks. when it is all done, i will take a pic at night from the swim deck and during the day under it all to show how it was attached. for now im gettin off to go dive under the gas dock at the marina down the street who knows what i may find....

HyperDonzi
07-10-2002, 08:41 PM
go here, expensive but looks crazy cool.
www.powerboatlighting.com (http://www.powerboatlighting.com)

HyperDonzi
07-16-2002, 01:51 PM
anyone know where to get the street glow wire neon in red besides their site? theyre outta stock.
nopi dosent have them either.

McGary911
07-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Looks like JC Whitney carries street glow products. Click link here (http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=3226) The undercar lighting kit should work well. Maybe 2 of them. I installed a Street Glow kit on a radio station van a few years ago, and they worked pretty well. The tubes are encased in lexan, so if 1 breaks, you wont have glass everywhere. Good luck and send us some pics when you get that thing lit up.

Staffan Berg
07-17-2002, 04:01 PM
I cant keep my mouth shut any longer.

Neon light would destroy the look of any beautiful boat.
Think one more time before you do any job on your boat.

Just my opinion and I am sure I´m not alone out there

HyperDonzi
07-17-2002, 05:37 PM
i honestly thought i would have gotten much more that just one saying that this is a bad idea. i thought for a minute before hittingt he add new topic button about all the people who i thought would say i was trying to "rice-out" a boat. it will be under neath the gunels and dash, i dont like the look, turn the button off. the only thing i would be doing to the boat would be a few screw holes for mounts to hold the wire up.

HyperDonzi
07-30-2002, 11:40 AM
ordered them today and paid 18 bucks s&h gota get them in before we go to lake erie! ill post pics up the day i get them.

harbormaster
07-30-2002, 06:21 PM
We have night time boat parades around here. It would look very cool.

HyperDonzi
08-01-2002, 05:18 PM
those neons i ordered suck. i might try to put them around the dash or something but they are nothing producing light close enough to light gunnels and under dash areas.