PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt or similar luxury boat..

Stix Magill
09-14-2003, 10:47 PM
I have a baby on the way! Joan and I are 4 months pregnant and all is good. My life is changing and I will need some advice from you other fathers.... now back to boats....
I may be going from a Donzi Minx to a Cobalt or comparable soon, unless there is a roomy Donzi you can recommend. The boathouse I am building will hold up to a 26 ft.
I would like to stay under 10K, so almost all Donzis are out of the question (too expensive). The teak-accented V-hull late 70's Cobalts are cheap and very well built. Do any of you know where I can find one of these? Is there another boat I should consider? I am trying to stay away from the pontoon boat my wife wants!!
Is there a roomy Donzi I should look at?
A fishing boat is also in my future. I am leaning toward an all aluminum center console.
My john boat is getting uncomfortable on long fishing trips.
Please opine....

Minx may be for sale soon.... I will post here first.

Craig
09-25-2003, 06:40 AM
I see the old Cobalts fairly often in Boat Traders (online or the magazines).

I'm always looking for other ones like my Donzi copy Cobalt, but I see those other old ones a good bit.

They were well made, but I knew people that had them and used to ski behind some. They were plush (a plus) but seemed to be either just heavy or under powered. A little un-satisfying if you wanted to slalom ski or barefoot.

I see more of the old tri-hulls than V-hulls but even the V-hull, I always thought was kind of sluggish out of the hole and not tremendously fast (like "maybe" 40 mph).

Still, if speed wasn't a big deal, they would proably be a cheap way to have a decently built boat.

How about plan B -- Tough it out a while until the kids can get a paper route to help supplement the expenses of keeping the Minx. If that's your boat (I assume) in the Avatar image, you'd have real hard time getting me to part with that!!

Shoot, I thought the Minx WAS the "roomy" Donzi!