PDA

View Full Version : here's a nice one for you

Digger
06-26-2002, 06:10 AM
My brother (Howe) sent me this pic, I love this boat. Taken at the Wiers, NH annual antique/classic boat show.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mhowardoldie.jpg

Gearhead99
06-26-2002, 08:15 PM
That is a beauty.
Being the owner of a wooden Chris-Craft myself. I have to ask...Is it an old boat or a reproduction??

The steering wheel looks too new and the dash too.

Digger
06-27-2002, 06:38 AM
Dave I think it's a one-off repro, but my brother would know for sure.

I get your drift, it's always nice to see an "old" boat that really IS old. My Pop still has a 1929 Chris-Craft 28 ft triple cockpit. Repowered with a 454 Crusader. We were very close to putting in an A-120, but thats a long story-

Bandit
06-27-2002, 04:34 PM
Digger,

How fast will that thing go?

mattyboy
06-28-2002, 03:03 PM
nothing like a big ole woody!!!

Matt

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
06-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Nice!
Judging from the woodwork in the seats it looks like the work of Van Dam Woodcraft. I did not see it on their website though. Whoever built it did a masterful job, at least from what I can see in the photo.

Eric :)

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
06-28-2002, 03:22 PM
Hey!
I just noticed the reflection of the other boat in the finish. That's one meticulous varnish job. See what you can do with some wet sanding, some Finess-It, and lots of patience!

Digger
06-28-2002, 03:46 PM
You're right Eric, what a great finish she has. I left a message with Howe to get on the registry when he can, I think he knows about this boat-

Howe
07-01-2002, 07:18 PM
This boat was from Maine and I think it was built up there but I don't know by who. I also don't know who designed her but she is a modern wooden boat and was completed within the last few years. Her hull is stepped and I heard she will run in the 70's. She has a modern Chevy big block. Follow this link, http://www.necacbs.org/Weirs-2001-2.htm to "ton's 'o photos" from the 2001 Weirs boat show. There are a number of close-up photos of not only this boat but many others. One photo shows the registration information and it appears the builder was named Harper but I can't quite make out the name.

As for the builder...I'd like to know. My experience is once you get into the old boat scene, there are a number of crafstman out there that can do incredible work and they are always looking for projects to help carry them through a long northern winter. You don't have to stick to a "name".

Bandit
07-19-2002, 07:38 AM
Thanks Howe for the info. I sure would like to have that boat parked at my dock knowing I could take her for a spin.

FASTEDDIE
07-19-2002, 08:34 AM
Sure is a sweet looking ride. For those who would like to view the best in the world, see www.vandamwoodcraft.com (http://www.vandamwoodcraft.com) Check out the Alpha Z and scroll down to see it in the water. Under "Currently under construction" my buddy is having a boat built for his wife. See it under "Jacqueline".Fortunately, Lake George has quite a few woodies and will have woodie races on
August 10th,2002. :D :D :D