PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage

Cuda
04-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Well we made it back with no loss of life or property and very little loss of blood (mine). :) We got it off the trailer without incident, but when backing out of the slip, the wind was pushing me towards shallows and I was panicking. I had visions of being pushed up against the bridge too, but I got her under control and headed up the ICW. To my suprise, the Kaama's didn't seem to want to "hunt" at low speed, it drove real straight. We had about a mile of idle zone to go thru. In the meantime, I had forgotten where Bill, (previous owner) had told me to set the drives and tabs for take off. Luckily the last thing I did before leaving the house was write down his cell. Deb called him and he said "drives a quarter inch above idle, and tabs at -1". Got out of the idle zone and gassed it up. It feels weird because the props will let go at first, then you feel them grab, and up you go! We ran out John's Pass and down the beach to Blind Pass. This boat eats waves. :D It was rolly polly out on the gulf, but not choppy, the kind of seas you love to run in. I ran it up to about 55 when I noticed the port engine was running a little hot, so we pulled in Blind Pass and idled down the channel a ways. The engine began cooling off as soon as I throttled back. I was going to go back up the ICW, but it's a long idle zone from where we were, and this puppy belongs in the ocean. So I did a little maneuvering in a wide spot to see how the boat would react in tight quarters, the back out the pass and back up the beach. I cannot describe to you the thrill of riding in a boat that handles the seas like this. I thought the 242 rode well, but there is no comparison. The handling suprised me as well. The are crab traps everywhere off the beach, and the 302 handled the slalom course with aplomb. The port engine warmed up again, so we shut down and drifted around off the beach soaking up some much missed sun. We then went back to the launch, something I had been dreading all day. Luckily, there was an open slip when we first came up so I didn't have to try to keep it in place in a tight area. I made a soft landing on the dock, suprising myself more than anyone else. The only hiccup of the day was getting it back on the trailer, and that was only because the trailer had drifted towards the dock. It'll be a piece of cake next time. I'm also happy to report the F 150 pulled it fine, but we didn't go very fast or very far.

We can't wait for our next trip!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffk3.jpg

<small>[ April 05, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Cuda ]</small>

Cuda
04-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Beautiful day.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffk2.jpg

Cuda
04-05-2003, 04:16 PM
And a happy owner. :)
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffk1.jpg

penbroke
04-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Nice ride Cuda!! Good luck and many more.

Frank

Forrest
04-07-2003, 03:24 PM
NICE! Lets see more pics.

DonzigoJR
04-08-2003, 10:47 AM
What an awesome boat. Those KAAMA's are just kick ass when it comes to a good show. Have you come across any problems due to the boat sitting for so long?

harbormaster
04-08-2003, 04:16 PM
What about the engine heating up? Did you find out why?

Cuda
04-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Scot, the port side sea strainer had about 2 inches of crushed shell in it. I'm pretty sure that was the cause. The previous owner told me the impellers only had a few hours on them.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-11-2003, 12:46 PM
CUDA, great story, I love to read, especially about boat fun!
Congrats man.
Bryan

Donzigo
04-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Cuda,

Great ride!

You & Deb have a great summer ahead!

Richard