PDA

View Full Version : Secret F233's 80 Formula F233 Photos Finally!!!!

Secret F233
03-13-2002, 11:25 AM
Ok finaly got a DCamera here are some pictures that I took pictures of LOLOL :D . Anyway This weekend im going out to snap the drive photos & more recent Boat shots but heres my sweetie right after i got her. Please excuse the mess it's work in progress i mean the site well & boat to LOLOL!!!

http://thepirates.20m.com/photo5.html

Chris

Cuda
03-13-2002, 07:45 PM
Your 233 has a lot of things in common with the F-20 SC that I am working on. It has the exact same material inside the cuddy. Mine also has the clock in front of the passenger seat, the rear seats slide in between the motor cover and the gunnels. Mine is a 1981, that must be when they switched to Merc. Mine came with a 898 (305 2 barrel) and type R outdrive. I just had a 5.7 330 horse engine, and alpha oudrive installed. I added closed cooling also. When the transom assembly was out, I could check the transom for rot, and it was rock solid. I love the lines of the boat, and the way it rides in a stiff chop. I still want to redo the interior and have it painted. What amazed me was after 21 years, the seats weren't ripped anywhere, but there were a few puncture holes and a couple seams came out. I am wanting to buy new seats, and I will try to do the rest of the interior myself. One problem I have had since changing the engine is, because of the hi rise intake, the engine cover won't sit on the deck I screwed 2x4's around the base of the cover, but it still touches. And because of raising the engine cover, the rear seats no longer slide in. I am thinking of building a sundeck platform across the back for the engine cover.

You can see pictures of it when I got it, and working on getting the bottom paint off it at my homepage http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Forest/9752/

Good luck with the project.

Formula Jr
03-17-2002, 04:54 AM
The 233 is a classic in the purist sense. I know alot of people talk about copies of Bertram and Donzi hulls, but if you really look around, you will find that this hull - the 233 - is probably THE most copied deep vee hull in history. I can't even count the number of hulls across makers that are near exact copies. They may have been sized up or sized down, but its the same hull design.

By the way the 233 was run in the '63 Miami-Nassau, and Wynne had helped in the design of an earlier production boat. Lenny just had to show me up with his research skills. Ask him about 1bot.jpg. :D

ALLAN BROWN
03-20-2002, 07:53 AM
I won Class II in the 1964 Miami-Nassau race in my Formula 233. It was powered by a 400 hp Interceptor Ford 427 on a Vee-drive. There were only two classes in those days. 31' Bertrams were 1-2-3, and Formula 233's were 4-5-6-7-8-9, with me at the front. Aronow ran the 275 Formula in that race, and broke, but he won the Around Nassau race 3 days later. I was his first victory. That vee-drive Formula only ran 51 mph, but it would go through ANYTHING wide open. I had two second overalls in it, and always averaged about 50 in some snotty stuff. Mike Collins, Donzi Prez, was my co-pilot.

Kent Perroux
03-20-2002, 08:25 AM
Allen,

The race versions of the F233's, did they have the rounded bottom? I had a 1975 F233 for a while and loved it, but always wondered about the bottom since some of the older Donzi 18's had sharp vee's instead of the now rounded bottoms.

Kent

Secret F233
03-20-2002, 09:36 AM
Ok got my photos but I can't post them today works crazy here @ VoiceStream St Louis. My brother is wanting me to get a Chevy 400 block & build a destroked motor out of the 400 block & my existing 350 5.7L has anybody here tried this & what are the advantages to a destroked engine I really have NO IDEA thank you?

Cuda: like your Site Man those Hogs are Incredible eek! I guess getting cut by a tusk is pretty common. & your right these old girls do have a lot of the same trait's your right Formula did something right with the Seats & Hull these ladies are 21 or so years old & in way better shape than any Marktwain or Bayliner. Your clean up went really well the hull looks so Brite did you use acid? I'm glad to here you like the ride Can't wait to find out for my self lol!!!

Jr: your so right one of my coworkers said wow that looks like a Scarab & I said no the Scarab looks like the F233. look at the old 70's Cobia 21's, Searay 23's, slickcraft, IMP ect... There all so similar its cool to have that magnitude of prestige & pedigree!!

Brownie: Ya I remembered you had told me about that like a year ago I'm going to reword the site a little. & as before thank you for sharing with me it's to cool to hear about those races Because there not much on the net about them & I feel Honored to own a piece of Marine History :D & get to learn about its days on the circuit how long did formula race this hull any idea? & By snotty what do ya mean not that I'll ever see anything but 3' -4' white caps in the Midwest but someone else with a centerconsole 1975 F233 said that they went out in 5 to 6' seas allot I was like wow in this hull eek! ?

Kent: check this out theirs some racing F233s on this page
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.moore11/content/class1/1960's.htm

(Brownie you've seen this right I think I sent it to you before;)

Chris O

ALLAN BROWN
03-21-2002, 07:54 AM
Round bottoms, God! I love round bottoms! Well anyway, the "Formula" was: 1" of radius in the keel at the transom for each foot of boat length. This was true of the Donzi 16', 19', Formula 233, 28' 35'Donzi/Magnum. The original 18' was a stretched 16' with a pointed bottom. It was an attempt to stop the chine (rubrail?) walking at higher speeds. Didn't turn for s*#t. Roy Farmer and I redid the bottom in the mold, and made to current configuration.

Digger
03-23-2002, 07:26 AM
wow...great thread with great info and great links. thanks for making these posts! keep em' comin!

"the learnin never ends"

Secret F233
03-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Thanks Digger Well lets see here....Ok hows this for ya Great 60's & 70's vintage racing site for all to see!!

http://www.njppc.com/library.htm

Digger
03-25-2002, 10:32 PM
most excellent!! thx!!