PDA

View Full Version : Bertram 28

EricG
02-13-2002, 04:56 PM
OK, It's winter up here in the great NW, and I'm bored....so I stumbled upon an ad for a 1975 Bertram 28 Flybridge, and I'm obsessed... :p

What can anyone tell me about these boats? How do they stack up to the legendary 31?

I think I'm going to drive up and check it out one of these weekends, what should I look for?

I'm thinking that this may be a good direction for an all around Puget Sound boat...of course, I'll never be without a Donzi - but I've realized that one boat isn't where it ends. wink

EG

Ross
02-13-2002, 06:03 PM
You may also want to ask the experts at www. bertram31.com or www.bertram25.com. (http://www.bertram25.com.) Also do a search on bertram31.com ; I am sure I have seen previous discussions on the same topic.

marcdups
02-13-2002, 06:15 PM
excellent boat, what power are you looking at in that ride, if ti has been upgraded to diesels make sure that the bulkhead has been reinforced and also stringers, also they should have upgraded prop shaft struts and glands, other wise they are great boats, not much interior room but a good fishing platform, Good luck, also check for blisters and get a good engine survey and also hull, spending a couple of bucks up front could save you thousands later.

Marc

GEOO
02-14-2002, 04:25 PM
Eric,

I grew up on Bertram's. The 28 is a great boat. It is much dryer then the 31. I think the 28 rides better too. They had several cockpit changes over the years. I like the older ones better, the deck was lower to the water and less of a step from the raised engine compartment down to the cabin and rear cockpit. The newer ones had higher deck above the engines to allow for room for Diesel's. (502's???). As with all older boat's check for stringer rot. Check the rudder controls and mounts in the bilge. 225 to 260 hp small block chevy or ford's cruise 22-24 knots top out around 36 knots. Burns 18 gph @ cruise. GEOO

MOP
02-16-2002, 09:52 AM
A great little boat, being a marine mechanic for over 30 years and now a yacht broker I have run just about every Betram model from the 46 on down. The 28 and belive it or not the 46 are my favorites, the 28 for it all around versitilty and the 46 for its darn near unbelievable sea keeping qualities in very bad weather. Back to the 28. I have run into so many different engine combos, From 453 GM diesels (A REAL DOG) but cheap to run to one with chopped open and raised boxes with 502's which belong to a buddie who now wishes he had gone with small blocks and less HP. It seems to me by my exposure to owners that 260 HP chevy's are the favorite combo. Decent speed and cheap to run. No matter which way you go I am very sure you will gather alot of good memories with the 28.

Phil / Long Island