PDA

View Full Version : Center Console ?

Sam
01-12-2003, 10:06 AM
I'm looking for a new fishing boat and am considering going back to a center console. I have run a Wellcraft and Whaler in the past with mixed feelings/results. I'm thinking of something in the 20' range with a single OB and a kicker. So if you can pass on any recomendations and or experience I would love to hear from you.

THX
Sam

Sam
01-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Used !

SP

Cuda
01-13-2003, 04:27 AM
I have a 1988 Biddison 18 foot open fisherman that I bought new in 88. It is a big 18 with lots of freeboard and an 8 foot beam. They were made in St Pete Fla, I watched mine being built. They only produced boats for a couple of years, not because the boats weren't good, I guess they just weren't charging enough for them. I love mine, and would never sell it. It is a very versatile boat. I can go in 18" of water, and I have had it 42 miles out in the Gulf. It's great for just putzing around or water skiing too. I bought mine with a 120 Johnson origially, and it was underpowered at that. Last year I repowered with a 175 Johnson, and installed hydraulic steering. What a difference! These are well made boats, 15 years old and no cracks or groans in heavy seas. I always feel safe on it, and I know it can take more than I can. They also made a 22 CC, and I once saw a 22 WA for sale. If you can find one of these gems, I highly recomend getting it. I think another company (maybe 2) bought the molds. I saw another boat exactly like it. I think the name was Osborne. I don't know if they are as well made.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffbid.jpg

Fish boy
01-13-2003, 09:34 AM
I completly agree with Poodle and Cuda above and would like to add a couple more to the list:

Fisrt, Mako makes a solid CC and I would put it in the class with the Whaler and Grady White that Poodle mentioned above.

The second is the Donzi 28 fish boat. I got a chance to see John's ("John and Bea") CC last weekend. WOW! it has a stepped bottom, flat hauls a$$, and looks fantastic. can I say WOW again!? Talk to John for more info on his boat.

One thing you might want to think about before buying is where you are going to run it. Some CCs are really good in rough water due to deeper V bottow and tend to be a little heavier. Some of the stars of this category are the Whaler, Grady White, Mako, and of course Donzi f-23 like mine. The trade off is that they are generally a little slower and draw more water, but excell in offshore and when things get a little bumpy. They are also a lille pricier but hold value well. They slice through waves rather than slap against them and make for a fantastic ride.

If you plan on only running around a lake, inland, or on flats, then you might want to think about something with a little flatter bottom. The boat will be faster with less power and get into areas where the deeper v's will not, but you will get pretty beat up in rough seas, and probably end up a lot wetter than you would in a deeper V.

Personally, I love my Donzi and will never sell it. It is a great boat in any weather, looks great (my bias), and has never given me any problems that I did not create myself.

Good luck and email me if you have any questions: makulaf@mindspring.com

Fish

on the way to the Bahamas
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples25a.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples26.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples27.jpg

Eugene Nahemow
01-13-2003, 03:49 PM
Recently, I saw a photo of a center console with a tower. I believe it was in the race photos from Key West.
Was that a member's boat?
What kind was it?

Thanks.

Greg K
01-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Poodle's Fishboat was seen in the Keys...25' Whitewater.. :cool:

RH
01-13-2003, 09:21 PM
I just delivered a 1979 freshwater Whaler Outrage 21 to my brother in South Carolina. It was on our lake and sold new. It was filthy, but without any major gouges in the gel and had faded Whaler stripes. It has the original Whaler kicker bracket, magnetic fuel gauge in the floor and a brand new dodger with side curtains. The old 140 hp Johnson that came with it blew up and the guy wanted to get rid of it. I picked it up for brother as it was too good of a deal to pass up. He is currently cleaning it and getting ready to put on a new engine. I'll post pictures, but according to my brother, it will make a nice fishing machine for him. He currenty runs a Hewes Flats Skiff. Hey Poodle, you should hook up with him. He fishes Islamorada, the Glades, and anywhere that looks to be an adventure. He's big into CCA and loves to Fly fish.
RH

Team Jefe
01-14-2003, 08:00 AM
Sam - All boats mentioned are good. I'll add a few more: Regulator, Parker, Contender, Fish Master.

As mentioned, it all depends on where you will be fishing. Inshore vs offshore, calm vs choppy.

I run a 30ZF and absolutley get a woody every time I'm on The Revenge. It is a wonderful ride in the open ocean and eats Bay Chop like its not even there. I had it in 650 ft In Green canyon of Louisiana and 3 ft in East Galveston Bay.

But its not a 20ft single motor boat (i'd upload photos, but I seem to be getting error messages..I'll try later).

If I were to buy a 20 odd foot boat with one motor (excluding the F-23). It would be the Fish Master 23. It is a bay boat and can run in shallow water, but I've been in one 10 miles out in the Gulf and it handled well. It is the softest riding Bay Boat I've ever been in.

Good Luck, and Keep us posted. It'llbe nice to have another CC man on the Board.

Tight Lines
JEFE

Sam
01-14-2003, 06:03 PM
Like I said before I've had a Whaler and a Wellcraft both had good and bad points. Up here and Mich our slection of CC's are somewhat less than you FLA boys have. Hydro Stream, Robollo,Scout,Mako and a few other are the norm here. THe reason I want to stay in the 20' range is that I don't want to buy a new tow vechicle. The body of watr I'll be fishing the most in can get very nasty.This is not to say that I would go out of my way to tangle with big seas. When you get much over 3' in wave height the fishing gets iff at best due to the shallow nature of the water way. Anyway, thanks for your replys.

Sam

Team Jefe
01-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Sam - I'm spending the week in Morgan City, LA. and know lots of guys here that were born fishing. These cajun's nor more about boats than they do anything.

One Guide I know well really recommeds the Fish Master, but warned about getting a Travis Boating Edition. He stated that Travis buys a large amount of Hulls from a manufacturer, but only pays about 70% of the going rate. The manufaturer makes the deal, but onlu puts about 70% of the glass into the hull. So the boat is great for the first few years, but goes down hill after that. He said to beware of any boat hull that has Travis Boating on it.

Just something to keep in mind. I'd like to know if anyone else has had any expereince with Travis.

JEFE

harbormaster
01-15-2003, 06:04 PM
I posted some nice inexpensive fishing boats for sale in the other boats for sale section. Check 'em out...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACF1210.jpg

florida gator
01-17-2003, 10:45 AM
If you can find a Scarab Sport you get the best of both worlds. They are hard to find though. A dodger up front with the cushions is almost as good as a cabin without sacrificing that space all of the time.

Donzified
01-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Sam:
Check out the Angler boat line next time you visit your mother ship they have a few at a boat dealer at the corner of 21 mile and Jefferson.Good luck....."A boat for every occasion,an occasion for every boat".

Boats are like coolers you need one of every size.

Did anyone pick a date for the Detroit boat show?

Tomahawk
01-31-2003, 04:55 AM
Jeff - I would concur on your comment regarding Travis Boat Centers.
Sam - Of the boats you mentioned, the Scout is very good and popular down here. They make some nice boats in 20's and 23's. Mako is also nice but the 23 I have run was tender. One of the nicest boats I have run is the 23' Seacraft with a Honda 225. Loved that boat but its about a $50K rig. Would be great on Lake St. Clair.
You are probably looking for something a little different but, I have an 18' Kenner CC Skiff with a Honda 90 that I find to be very versatile. Have run that boat most everywhere from MackinawIsland to Key West. Runs about 40 mph. It's a great little bay boat, economical and easy to tow. Not really for big water though. We also have one of their 21's at work with a 130 that works very well too.
There are a bunch of nice used CC's in the South. Good excuse to come to the Miami Boat Show Feb 13 - 18 and check out the market!
Happy Hunting :

abelchinewalker
01-31-2003, 09:07 AM
Parker
Biddison
Seacraft
Grady White
Hydrosport

In that order.

Donnie

Sam
02-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Poodle, I have read good things about the Seacraft. Why did say to look for a pre 85 model.

THX
Sam

Cuda
02-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Poodle, here is a picture of the transom.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffbidtran.jpg

Cuda
02-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Another shot of the transom http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffbidtran1.jpg

BUIZILLA
02-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Is that a 20" or 25" transom ??

J

Donzi Dreaming
02-04-2003, 03:45 PM
I know it's not a outboard, but it's in the family, 19'....

1969 Donzi St. Tropez, Big Block

Listed on YachtWorld.com (http://www.yachtworld.com/listing/yw_listing_detail.jsp?checked_boats=746842&currency=USD&units=Feet)

Cuda
02-04-2003, 09:34 PM
25" transom

harbormaster
02-20-2003, 06:39 AM
If any of you are looking, I have a bunch of center consoles without power for sale. Here is a list.

1990 18 blackhawk CC 1800.00
1988 20 Blackhawk CC 1800.00
1986 23 Mako CC 6000.00
1985 24 Grady White CC 8000.00
1979 22 Aquasport 1000.00
1996 18 Osprey 1400.00

Call me at 713-898-0605 if interested

TORYSMINX
02-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Scott

Does any of these boat take and I/O or are they all Outboards? Thanks a bunch for the posts

Tory