PDA

View Full Version : Baja lands in middle of I-77 at Lake Norman

Greg K
08-21-2003, 08:43 AM
Story here from early this morning..
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/2421433/detail.html

springs
08-21-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I know where that must have happened. They had to be haulin' ass.

Last Tango
08-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Boat was captured and thrown from the water by "Normie", the Lake Norman area version of the Loc Ness monster, often supected of actually being either a giant cat fish or Jason, depending on how much "-shine" was mixed in with the boat fuel.
Mark

But that's just MY opinion. I could be wrong.

My second guess was that the Baja was STILL trying to catch Greg K's hot 22 when he lost contact with the water (and reality).

Greg K
08-21-2003, 05:43 PM
At that hour, it was put up for the night and I was asleep..still shocking and incredible that a boat could get up the angle of that embankment with all the rocks. I'm in that area often and still amazed this accident happened there.

Greg K
08-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Some updates..

Boat Accident in NC UPDATE team members involved: Three people are in the hospital after a Thursday morning boating accident on Lake Norman, NC [near Mooresville]. The boat was driven into a rock barrier on the lake and the impact sent the boat into the air. The boat landed on I-77, clipping the front of a car, according to Davidson Fire and Rescue. The accident happened around 2:30am/et and the boat landed in the southbound lane of I-77 at mile marker 30. One person was ejected from the boat, two others became trapped inside. One boater was transported by helicopter to Carolinas Medical Center. The two remaining victims had to wait for firefighters to arrive to cut them out of the boat. All three are in the hospital. Investigators say drinking was definitely involved. The people in the car that was clipped did not suffer major injuries and one female did hurt her shoulder. I-77 was closed for several hours after the accident.(NBC 6 / Charlotte.com).
AND Troopers say three people, two males and a female, were in a boat when it hit an embankment, went airborne, hit two cars on Interstate 77 and landed in the median. Troopers say charges are pending. No one in the cars was hurt, but the boaters were transported to Carolinas Medical Center. Police say the boaters' injuries are serious, but not life-threatening. Troopers say they found some alcohol in the boat. Investigators aren't sure why the boat became airborne, and they've called in the state Wildlife Resources Commission to check into it.(WWOC-TV).
Jayski NOTE: been told one Cup team member was involved and although rumored, I am being told NO Cup drivers were involved. When named are released, I will post more on the story.(8-21-2003)
UPDATE: Three people were hospitalized, all involved directly or indirectly with NASCAR, after a boat speeding across Lake Norman apparently became airborne, jumped a guardrail and struck a southbound car on Interstate 77 near Davidson, N.C. Injured in the accident were Robert Jones, 30; Dustin Bills; and Jennifer Wade, 28. Jones and Bills were listed in critical condition Thursday at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte. Wade was there as well, listed in fair condition. Authorities said alcohol was believed to have played a role in the accident. Jones is the lead mechanic for MB2 Motorsports's #01 U.S. Army Pontiacs in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series. Wade, identified as Jones' girlfriend, works at the Richard Petty Driving Experience, based near Lowe's Motor Speedway at Concord, NC. Bills is an employee of Penske-Jasper Engines. The accident occurred about 2:20 a.m. Thursday where the highway crosses the lake at Mile Marker 30, said Corrine Rust of Mecklenburg County Emergency Services. The three people who were hospitalized were all riding in the boat. Jones was taken by helicopter to CMC. No one in the car was injured.(ThatsRacin.com)(8-21-2003)

boldts
08-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Wow!!! Now I not only got to watch for other drivers when towing the boat through Charlotte, but flying Nascar Bajas too? All kidding aside, it looks like everyone in the boat is lucky to even be alive today. I've see the banking along that stretch of I-77 and I'm just amazed that the boat did not crumple into a million pieces when it hit those rocks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but after dusk isn't the whole lake no-wake? Hard to miss a thru-hull at wide open throttle at 2:30 in the morning. Just goes to show, we've all done it, but drinking and boating just doesn't mix frown