PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Greg
07-31-2003, 08:09 AM
Yesterday myself and some friends were out on Lk. Geneva in my 21' Scarab. We docked at one end of the lake and went into our favorite watering hole for a carry-out of some food. Gone maybe 20 min. upon returning there some jamoke had backed his 27' Sunsation up to where my bow was on his swimplatform. Not only that he is untying my boat, moving it and doing a very bad job of tying it up. Since we were leaving, there was no damage done and he had his wife and his early teen children and their friends with him, I didn't make a big deal out of it. But the nerve of that guy really pissed me off. Given a similar situation,"What would you do?"

magnum27
07-31-2003, 08:44 AM
I am sure I would have said something and it would not have been a pleasent conversation either.

seano
07-31-2003, 10:00 AM
Greg,

Not that what the gentleman did was right, and I'm not saying you did this, but I often find myself trying to get into a spot where someone has essentially taken up a 50' dock by tying their 18' boat in the middle of it...a little docking etiquette goes a long way :)

boldts
07-31-2003, 10:02 AM
While I've never been in that situation yet. I think I'd use something like the following since the guy has no idea who the owner is.

"Sir, is that your boat?" "No?" Then at the top of your lungs yell "Someone call the police! I caught this man trying to steal this boat!"

No obscenities or forceful action by you. Just the owner of the boat doing his civic duty.
Just a thought :D

CrackerJack
07-31-2003, 11:01 AM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/sunsation.gif

Ranman
07-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Shoot a hole through the hull and see how long the bilge pump can keep up. :)

I agree with the dock etiquette. I've been aggravated by a lot of wasted dock space.

On the other hand, depending on mood, I would either politely let the owner know how I felt about the situation or I'd ask the jerk what his f**king problem was. I'm a big guy though so that doesn't work for everyone. :D

Greg
07-31-2003, 04:46 PM
Seano, I too agree with dock etiquette. Dock space at that end of the lake is so small it is almost non-existant. I guess I could have explained it a little better. I had my boat tied with the bow on the pier post that separates the parking from the no parking. He had parked in the no parking and was trying to drag my boat back ten or so feet, so at least a small portion of his boat was in the parking zone. I think what got me was the way he let the back of my boat go under the pier and my teak swimplatform to tap-tap on the pier post. All in all, no damage done and cooler heads prevailed. To the kids credit, they looked more embarresed than he did.

Bigbroadjumper
07-31-2003, 06:03 PM
I had something like that happen to me last year by the Abbey. After waiting about an hour for a space to open up we tied up and went in for lunch at Gordy's. Upon returning to the dock someone had untied my bow line and my boat was twisting in the breeze. I was very lucky that the outdrives didn't get stuck under the dock. I was so pissed! Maybe its a Wisconsin thing?

Rootsy
07-31-2003, 08:49 PM
DAMN CHEESEHEADS!

JimG
08-01-2003, 06:40 AM
It happens here in Texas, too! Several times, at Outriggers, I've had folks untie my boat to slide me back. Here's what I do: I walk up, stick my hand out and say, "Howdy! I'm Jim. Fine boat ya got there... Let me help you, I'll bet we can make room." By looking at his boat, I can tell his level of experience. If he's a noobie, I show him how to tie to a cleat.

By the time I'm done, we've got a new boating buddy and have invited them to our next raft-up.
(Only if his wife/GF is cute... wink )

Now that's all if the guy is nice about it. If he's an ass, I just shoot him and hide the body... Texas is a big place, ya know! :)

mattyboy
08-01-2003, 09:34 AM
I would return the favor and untie his boat as he was tieing it up and when he says WTF I just say one good turn deserves another numnuts!!! :p

Matty

FASTEDDIE
08-01-2003, 03:35 PM
So Jim G would shoot the guy and hide the body. He is confused. That's how they settle arguements on the Baylor basketball team in Waco. :confused: