PDA

View Full Version : Ghostrider???

oldLenny
07-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Here is a link to a boat for sale (or was) on the East Coast. Anyone ever seen it?...History has it that it was originally powered by 2 "Daytona's", those being the 327's that are the same as the motor in Pearson's boat (Bench 19)

http://www.anchoryachts.com/sou028p001.htm

Ranman
07-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Negative, the pattern is full.

avanti
07-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Lenny, I saw the boat when I was a kid living in Nassau, Bahamas which was in the early 60's. It had just participated in the Miami to Nassau Race and I believe it won the race. It was tied up at the Nassau Harbour Club and all the big boys were there with boats like Donzi 007 and Don Arnow.

Morgan's Cloud
07-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Lenny ,

The ad correctly identifies it as Jim Wynne's original "Ghost Rider".It was probably his first really succesfull racing hull and the one that no doubt caught Don's eye back in the mid / early 60's..that eventually led to Jim doing design work for Don.You can especially see the Wynne influence in the Hornet hull and once you know what to look for will notice similar traits in all subsequent Wynne designs right up to the time of his death :(
More photos of this boat and an insight into Wynne himself (who I once had the honour of meeting) can be found in John Crouse's story "Searace" .

KMLFAMILY
08-09-2003, 10:58 AM
I just got back from looking at "Ghostrider".It is in pretty rough shape from what i could glimpse at under shrink wrap.It is a terrible shame this boat is deteriating away.The shrink wrap itself seems to be doing a lot of the damage with no ventalation.The paint is blistering off, some transom rot,hull sides begining to flake wood etc..It is a crime that the owner doesn"t put it up for sale with a realistic price.This boat needs to fall in the hands of an expert restorer.The heartbreaker for me was seeing the hand writing on the shrink wrap that reads "Undefeated World Champion".I will postpix when possible,not much to see though.It was completly covered. frown

oldLenny
08-10-2003, 10:54 AM
...very cool Ken...