PDA

View Full Version : Sonics race boat?...Give me a break!

fasttrucker
11-21-2003, 06:30 PM
It seems that team sonic could not win in factory 2. class...So they de-proped the twin engine boat to run in p-4 class with all the single engine boats that run slower 70-79.9 mph.This is cheating the rule book way!Sonic has a lot of the racers pissed-off/...they should just quit and go home. :mad:

Robert Geoghegan
11-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Fast,
That is why the "Bracketting" concept in Offshore Racing sucks! In the NJ OPA races, in the P5 class,(speeds to 69.9) there was a 30' Scarab with twins running against singles. There was also a 32' with 700 horsepower in this class. The clubs wonder why people don't come out and race. I'd like to see them abbolish "bracketting", and bring back Concrete Rules!
Offshore Racing is in such termoil now with too many sanctioning bodies, APBA,SBI,OPA, Great Lakes, Key West Worlds.
This year we will have over 40 "World Champions" in all sanctioning bodies in all classes.
I love Offshore Racing, but it sucks! Even the local car race tracks are better organized.
In SBI F1 class, there was one boat who ran unopposed all year-Is that racing? I bet he has his truck lettered up with "2003 World Champions". Offshore Racing is becoming a JOKE. :mad:
Just had to vent-I agree with you!

Marlin275
11-22-2003, 11:17 AM
APBA,SBI,OPA, Great Lakes, Key West Worlds.
This year we will have over 40 "World Champions" in all sanctioning bodies in all classes.

I never understood why I didn't understand, who was world champion,
until you just explained it

Back when I was a kid
If you won the Miammi-Nassau race,
You Were World Champions !

boldts
11-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Hummmm.... I guess my question would be.... If it is like bracket racing in Drag Racing, are not the boats only allowed to run so fast and if you break-out, your dis-qualified and the loser? What does it matter if the boat is 24' or 40', 1, 2 or even 3 engines as long as the boat is with-in it's designated speed?

In Drag Racing, that is what puts the race back in the hands of the driver rather than the guy who can afford to buy all the best equipment. If your in a 10.90 class, your car must go 10.90 in a 1/4 mile. No faster! Break out, you load up and go home until next week. The car most meet and pass an inspection to make sure it is built by the rules. Simple!

Don't take this the wrong way as I am not an Offshore race boat driver or team member, but I understand what the santioning bodies are trying to do and that is keep the racing close for the fans. I got to see the last true "World Championship" when it was held in Atlantic City, NJ. The Europeans and anyone else who qualified were allowed to run for the Championship. Their boats had to meet class rules and if they didn't, the boat and team were dis-qualified. It was also the last time the races were run under one santioning body. I feel Cart and the IRL are much in the same boat. Two bodies both suffering from the loss of fans because they are split.

I do not have the answer since I'm out-side the game and just a fan. To me, it seems easy. Everyone has rules for the class they want to run in and they all run under one Title. Who-ever that may be. This should equal larger fields, more sponsors, more venues and with it, more money into the sport for the participants! I think the egos need to be placed in a drawer and get all the cards out on the table. Then, once all the ideas are out there, an American freedom called voting takes place. Classes are decided, rules created, and boats built or changed to fit the class the team wants to run in.

Like I said, I don't have the answers, but if people won't attempt to get along, there will never be peace amoungst the ranks. It's like our High school, College and even Pro teams. You may not like the guy or gal across from you, but at the end of the game, they all shake the other team's hands and a welcome site, say a prayer with the other team thanking God for the safty along with the well being of all the team members.

Sorry to be so long. I just don't think the whole problem is caused by Bracketing the boats as long as everyone is following the same rules and the rules are being inforced.

Shanghied Again
11-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Sonic! Give me a break the Hyundai of boats with a Mercedes price tag. :mad: That tank couldn't win against any twin engin boat.