PDA

View Full Version : Question on 28'SS Cigarette

BacDoc
10-24-2001, 07:41 AM
I was looking at Donzi 22 Classics but now leaning towards a 28'SS Cigarette ( I like standing and going fast). One I'm looking at has twin 350's with trs drives. I was told that top speed on this is low 60's. It seems that all the 28'SS's that are for sale have a top speed in the 60's. I want something to go in the mid 70's. My question is can these engines be built to take this boat into the mid 70's without replacing them with BB's or making them too high maintenence .Also, what is keeping these boats from going faster? Is it there wt.? Any info you guys can give me on this would be much appreciated
Thanks
BacDoc

seano
10-24-2001, 11:22 AM
Doc,

My 28SS is currently running 68mph at 4600rpms(on radar--no BS).

The motors are 2000 350 mag MPIs mated to Bravo drives spinning 24" BravoI popellers.

The best chance you have of achieving your goal is buying a boat with small blocks Bravo drives. I'm not saying that because I own one, I just have alot of experience with this boat and know just about every 28 out there.

Many out there for sale have TRS drives that require a BW(or Merc) transmission. This combination robs the motors of horespower and adds and incredible amount of weight to the boat(one thing it does not need!) Now, even with this setup AND Big Block chevys(stock 454) you still will not achieve your desired result)

My boat at cruise(3400rpms) runs 50 mph and as I said runs 68 at 4600. I propped the boat for a 50mph cruise and would bet that labbing the props or trying a set of 22s would get you into the low 70 mph range(the recommended WOT is 4600 to 5000) Add a pair of ProChargers and I have no doubt that you will see the high 70s with no problem at all---I'd go so far as to say you might see 80! The best part is the weight of the boat...it is heavy at around 6500-7000 lbs but if the water gets rough were you baot, you'll be glad you have that extra weight---it runs rough water better than any 28 out there!

Yes, mine is for sale---I'm in no rush to sell and am firm on my price cause I feel the boat is worth it. Check out the photos and you'll see. Add to that the fact that I just purchased the 5 year extended warrantees from Mercury(good until Oct 2005) and you'll see the boat is worth every penny.

Check out the photos if you have not seen them already---there are a couple of folk on the board who have seen the boat as well---ask around.

28 Cigarette SS (http://www.thunderboatalley.com/olsen_2.htm)

Ross
10-24-2001, 09:02 PM
BacDoc, from another 28SS owner, I agree with Sean-stay away from the big blocks,too much weight in the back. As far as speed goes I believe mid to high 60's is what you are going to get without some high performance "stuff". However,also remember speed is not everthing (or is that size). There will always be someone out there faster, but compared to a 28SS, not any that are as good in rough water, look as good, or will last as long. Oh!,I maybe a little biased.

turbo2256
12-12-2001, 07:47 PM
I would use the 350 blocks and stroke them to 383 cu in using 400 reworked cranks or after market cranks and a good set of canfield or brodex heads and keep the TRS drives for now and mabe dump the trannys for 2 speed ones later