PDA

View Full Version : Reversion or what?

ZZ
10-04-2002, 01:18 AM
Hi all!
Two days i was out riding towards the ramp . When i was lying there and waiting for my buddy with the trailer i tried to start up the engine again. It didnt start up but in the precice moment i stopped the starter i fired a little bit with a sort of "funny" noice.
When i tried to start agin it barely turnd over so i stopped.
When i got the boat in the garage i pulled the plugs, and it was completely filled with water in all cylinders eek! eek! eek!
My question is: why did this happen :confused: Could i prevent this to happen in the future?
Engine is a Chevy 350/300hp cam/461´s/stock OMC exhaust thru prop. Boat is a Chris Craft 230 Scorpion .

Lazze

Rootsy
10-04-2002, 08:08 PM
how much duration is that bumpstick packing @ 0.050 lift... rule of thumb is 224 degrees before you begin to "hoover" the lake into the motor at idle as Brownie once enlightened me...

also, you havn't overheated the motor have you?

MOP
10-05-2002, 07:47 AM
Usually when you fill all the cylinders the engine kicked back, the likely cause is timing. Set to high or advance springs died, there is an easy fix for inversion that will work on most any cam. Install 1/4 turn valves in the hoses to the manifolds, let it idle shut the valves wait 30 seconds then shut down this lets the risers dry out. Obviouly open the valves before restart, I have do this on several boats with good sucess.