PDA

View Full Version : 73 cig update

mattyboy
09-21-2002, 03:52 PM
well here it is , sitting in dry storage for some 10 yrs, Kenny cleaned it up as best he could the gelcoat is shot and the seats need replacing, but that's small beans,pulled plugs look ok turned over!
then put plugs in and IT STARTED!!! IT IDLED, IT SOUNDED GREAT!!!! SO not to over extend our welcome with the boat gods we quit for the day, tommorrow will bring a drive check and some shifter and drive cable work!!!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/sep21_36.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/sep21_37.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/sep21_40.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/sep21_41.jpg

she's got a 350 corvette marine engine by chris craft, gonna be a nice boat, the previous owner said he bought it from Don Aronow at the 1973 NY boat show when it was in the Ny coliseum!!!!
I think Don would be happy one of his boats has found a good home
thanks guys, the questions will be fast and furious now

Matt

Sagbay32
09-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Wonder what years had the lift rings?

Mike

smoothie
09-21-2002, 05:50 PM
Ha yes...Another diamond in the rough,looks like a good winter project. Don,Im sure has a smile on his face,keep the pics coming and ask away!!!

nasty habit
09-21-2002, 05:50 PM
SWEET.....that is going to be awsome....us little cig owners are gonna have to all meet up somewhere sometime...maybe next years cig reunion

smoothie
09-21-2002, 05:52 PM
Nasty,
Not a bad idea!!!!!!

mattyboy
09-23-2002, 09:58 AM
UPDATE 9-23-02
inspected tank, pumped out about 1 gal. of old gas, tank is clean, worked out some water cir. issues, dumped in lake and pumps water fine.
removed frozen up steering cable and shredded shift cable. My friend Kenny is extremely happy with the out come so far , replace cable and lake test this weekend maybe

Matt

RH
09-23-2002, 11:28 PM
Hey Mattyboy, not so fast on the shot gel coat. I know that it may be very chalked up, but I used some 3M fiberglass buffing compound on my old Century Coronado and the results were astonishing. I used a grinding wheel with the buffing pad and was careful not to burn the surface. I have the Covette Chris Craft engine in my 72' Hornet. I have the high rise manifold with the 270 Volvo drive. I also have the original Chris Craft manuals fro this combonation if you need any info for it. I beleive that they called the engine and 350 FLV that delivers 320hp. A sweet piece of Aronow history!
RH

Sagbay32
09-24-2002, 01:16 AM
I was thinking about the engines in older boats and I wondered what areas of an engine would go first due to rusting, on a freshwater engine that was this old. The exhaust manifolds?

What else to think about?

RH
09-24-2002, 09:04 AM
Sagbay, interesting question. My experience can only come from my freshwater experience. I have a 1960 Ski Dart with a Gray Marine inline 6. I had a small crack in the exhaust manifold, so O put on my spare. The engine had meticulous care and alot of use on our lake. It just goes to show you that proper maintenance schedules and storage seem to make things last longer. My 72' Hornet has the orignal 350 Chris Craft FLV in it and it has no signs of distress as of yet. ( I hope that I didn't just jinx myself!) I love the ocean and have great respect for it, but I sure hate what it does to your equipment. I take my hats off to those who run in salt and the extra care and maintenance that is involved.
RH

Sagbay32
09-24-2002, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the input RH,

I hope if I buy an older boat, the owner took care of the internals as well as they did the externals....always a gamble.

Mike

Forrest
09-24-2002, 03:45 PM
Nice find! Looks like you may be able to just change the oil in everyting and go for a ride!

mattyboy
09-25-2002, 08:34 AM
rh
thanks you can see that sticker on the pic of the valve covers.
It was winterized very well a ton of oil came out of the cylnders, the tank was almost bone dry.
it is a new 350flv motor put in in 88 or so after the boat had sunk the new engine was put in and then put in storage. I'll pass the buffing thing on to my friend Kenny he is extremely happy with his new boat, but know I got to get my 16 fine tuned so next summer I ain't eating his wake!!!!
the cig has got and old bronze 15 1/2 by 20" prop but has the same spline as mine so now we can share props.
what would be the est. of top end on a 20 cig with a 350flv motor?

thanks
Matt

smoothie
09-25-2002, 10:01 AM
Matty,
by going with the prop size and lets say 4800 rpm,
I would say in the lower 50's???????

seano
09-26-2002, 09:05 AM
man you guys are killin me!!!

I gotta get me one of those!!!

It looks like you've found a nice boat there!!

I'm with RH...I would go to great lengths to restore the original gel rather than paint...black is tough, but you may be able to wet sand it if the rubing compound doesn't work.

Now...will someone PLEASE find me one of these little gems that needs restoration!!!

:D :D

mattyboy
09-27-2002, 08:44 AM
update 9-27-02
new steering cables and shifter cables will be installed after this southern weather is gone and a water trial might be in order sat or sun
a small spot was buffed out and looks good the problem is nicks and cuts in the gel and they hand painted :confused: some spots and the deck you can see brush marks :rolleyes:

Seano did you sell the white 28ss yet??

Matt

seano
09-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Matt,

I would still try and wet sand those brush marks before resorting to paint...just my .02

I sold the 28 in April after I bought a Cafe Racer...and now I'm searching for the perfect new addition to my collection---a 20' Cig :D :D

The guy that bought my 28 is in Cleveland and is now selling it to buy a Top Gun...I think he's asking 35K... :rolleyes:

RH
09-28-2002, 08:40 AM
Mattyboy, let me knowif you will need the manual from Chris Craft to take a look at. Also, Ihave the 250 Volvo manual. About ten years ago, a retired boat mechanic gave me 2 bound Chris Craft sevice manual books about 4 inches this. Inside were the engine and outdrive manuals from Volvo to the engines. It goes from 1958 - 1980. I had them in storage and low and behold I find the Hornet with this engine combo, and bingo... I have the manuals for engine and drive. As for speed with that Cig, my Hornet probably runs and honest 50. The speedo always registers about 40 and I seem to be screaming past everybody. My buddy with the 16 Donzi with a V-8 runs right along with me and I know that his boat will run over 50. Should be a great boat for you guys to enjoy. I think that you will be happy with trying to wet sand and buff out the gel coat. Yes it is alot of work, but the results can really make you high!
RH

DON N.
09-28-2002, 09:18 PM
SEANO OR MATTYBOY,IF YOUR INTERESTED 1973 CIGARETTE - 20' 454,365 HP YELLOW/RED/WHITE VERY FAST W/TRLR , $9,500 SCHENECTADY N.Y. (518) 374-9894. I THINK THE BOAT IS ALL ORIGINAL . P.S. MATT NICE MEETING YOU @ L.G. PICNIC.THE YELLOW 68 2+3 .

mattyboy
09-28-2002, 09:36 PM
rh thanks might take you up on that

Don it was nice meeting you too, good bloody mary's
thanks for the heads up, but I think Seano gonna have to take this one, I'm real happy with the 16 and will hang onto it a little longer.

update the shift and steering cables in and working ok, Kenny got her in the water and the first sea trial went ok not running too smooth the carb secondaries seem fouled up, the engine is starving for gas but we didn't have to get towed in, when we did get on plane it ran strong and rode nice,

Matt

RH
09-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Hey Mattyboy, nothing like taking the first run on a "new" boat! Glad that you didn't need a tow. Maybe a carb kit will help out? It did wonders for me!
RH