PDA

View Full Version : early 70's cigarette

mattyboy
09-04-2001, 09:42 AM
a buddy of mine has the chance to get an early 70's 19' cigarette that would need a total restore. I have committed myself to helping if it comes thru.
but we have some questions.
are there resources like the board for cigarettes? can parts be found(ie interior and carpets and decals....? is this an Aronow boat?
what value does and old cigarette have( average or above average resale)
would have to make a road trip to get it
and rent space to restore it. we believe it is a 350ci/350hp corvette engine with volvo outdrive
any info would be greatly appreciated

Matt

seano
09-04-2001, 11:24 AM
mattyboy, I did a 28SS so I have some knowledge here... ;) Your first order of business should be to decide up front how much you(or your friend) want to spend. Is the boat original gel? If it is, that changes alot...if not, see below.

The Hull ID number should begin with CRT and if it does, it is an Aronow Cigarette, and actually a 20 footer.

check out traderonline.com to get an idea for what they are currently selling for. thunderboatalley.com(my site) is not a bad place to go, although I haven't had much time to update it lately.

As far as finding parts and the value of a "restored" boat, your best bet would be to come as close to original as possible, and not get crazy with the details...you'll never get your money back out...

Cigarette still make the boat and "sells" it for around 80,000 bucks! You can find them for sale for between 10,000 and 40,000 on the internet.

I believe they came with various power options including a big block TRS and the Volvo package you mentioned. Again, I wouldn't go crazy trying to duplicate original...

BTW, I know a guy that can do the decals if you want...so email me for more info and any other questions...

mattyboy
09-05-2001, 07:39 AM
Thanx seano,
you should be proud the work you've done on your boat is wonderful, that is truly a boat with classic lines, if I can I'll keep you posted on this project, will try and post some pics.

thanx again
Matt

seano
09-06-2001, 08:21 AM
Thanks Matty, and good liuck with that 20...I for one would love to to see pictures...I hope to find one to restore one day as well!

PaulO
09-10-2001, 11:17 AM
Matty,
I had one that I just sold. There was no carpet and I bet you that Built-Rite did the interiors for these boats as well as the Donzis. The upholstery was very high quality and had certain "cues" that were reminicient of Built-Rites work. These boats are built like tanks although you need to check the deck to hull joint. Under the bow and inside the engine compartment, the joint is glassed. Along the rest of it, they were glued and screwed. I had to redo the "glue and screw" sections of mine. Also, these boats need mega horsepower to go anywhere. Mine had a BBC Mag 365 prop HP mated to a Bravo1 drive. Could have used more HP. I feel sorry for the guys out there with the SBC setup.
PaulO

billsboat
09-22-2001, 10:22 PM
Matt,
I just signed on to this board in the course of doing some research for a good friend's estate. They are going to be selling a 1977 20'Cigarette that my friend Bill had Aronow build to accomdate a Chevy big block. As Bill told the story, he had to talk Don into a big block installation as he had only produced sbc versions to this point. I still have to review the documentation to see if this can be authenticated. First big block 20'?? The boat looks like it popped out of a time machine. 154 hours, always garage kept, never in salt water. This is a boat which will require an attentive owner. It has a 467" Chevy, 12/1 compression, mechanical cam and a NOS system that was used twice. I can email you a jpeg as I do not know how to attach one here.
Bill's friend Bill

harbormaster
09-22-2001, 11:37 PM
At the top of the page on the red bar is something that says "Photo posting".
Click on it and follow the directions.

billsboat
09-23-2001, 09:55 AM
OK Harbormaster, I'll try posting the photos below. Bill's friend, Bill

http://www.donzi.net/photos/wdelahanty2.jpg

http://donzi.net/photos/wdelahanty1.jpg

:confused:

lou
09-23-2001, 11:16 AM
How much is that doggie in the window?

Sagbay32
09-23-2001, 04:18 PM
That is a bad looking boat, and from the looks of that bbc I am sure that it ain't no slouch. Definitely looks like a cousin to the Donzi hull :D

BIG BAD DONZI
09-27-2001, 12:11 AM
I do not believe that Don ever built that boat in the picture. Its possible he built and sold the hull and deck.

billsboat
09-27-2001, 03:08 PM
BBD,
You are correct. The boat was ordered without engine and drive. It was built to accomodate a 454(extra reinforcements or stringers?). It does have a CRT hull number. Can you shed any light on big block installations in this era boat or how to interpret CRT hull numbers? Did try code biuld date,etc.? It was ordered from Aronow in September of '77.
Thanks, Bill

BIG BAD DONZI
09-28-2001, 05:55 PM
Don did not build many 20s' at Cigarette (It wasn't cost effective) - I recall all 20s as being sold with standard power. You know, Don would not sell hull and decks to just anyone. Where was Bill from? and how did he get Don to build him a 20' hull and deck?

billsboat
09-28-2001, 08:08 PM
BBD,
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your valuable insight. Bill was from southeastern PA...part of the "Dutch Navy" roaring around the upper Chesapeake bay. He negotiated with Don to build a hull with stringers and reinforcement suitable for big block power. I recall him saying that this was a somewhat lengthy process as Aronow was initially cool to the idea. He did travel to FL to at least pick up the boat and possibly to place the order in Sept of '77. Bill was a long time drag racer running blown Olds and Chevy engines in an A/GS Willys(once racing "Ohio" George Montgomery as a match race stand-in). His brother-in-law built the racing motors for K&G Speed Shop. Perhaps all these factors and his persistence convinced Don to build him this hull sans engine. Thanks again for sharing your insight and any further thoughts.

BIG BAD DONZI
09-28-2001, 10:16 PM
BB, story makes sense; love to see the interior if you have any pictures.

billsboat
09-28-2001, 10:33 PM
BBD,
Here we go with a composite of interior shots. I wish I knew more detail of the negotiations to build the boat.....but it's too late to ask.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/wdelahanty3.jpg

BIG BAD DONZI
09-28-2001, 10:48 PM
Hey, its a beauty, is the dash teak?

billsboat
09-29-2001, 07:03 AM
I believe so...I know the strip running through the center of the deck is. An interesting piece of history. It looks like it fell through a time machine.

DonziDreaming
09-29-2001, 07:56 AM
Bill,

Is this boat is in SE PA now? Can you say who his brother in law was? I worked for Chris at K&G Speed for several years and I am just curious if I know who it is. My guess is the the motor was built by Radar, they built some nice stuff through the years.

John

billsboat
09-29-2001, 08:28 AM
Yes, it is in SE PA and you are correct about Radar.

GD
09-29-2001, 02:08 PM
Hello Bill, How much will your friends want
for the Cigarette? Will you post it under
"other boats for sale" ?
Good - Luck Greg

billsboat
09-29-2001, 09:43 PM
Hi Greg,
I just put it up under other boats. The pictures didn't load but are the same as shown above.
BBD,
I was talking with one of Bill's old boating friends today. He recounted a story of meeting Aronow at a service station in PA. He was towing a long thin boat and took time to chat with the local motor heads. They did not know who he was at this time...probably in the early '60s as he recollected. Did this figure into his decision to build Bill's boat? I don't know.

BIG BAD DONZI
09-30-2001, 12:22 AM
Don never did his own towing, but it makes for a nice story!

GD
09-30-2001, 06:05 PM
Thanx for the prompt reply,Bill.
Good - Luck , Greg