PDA

View Full Version : Got Milk?

Cuda
08-24-2002, 07:00 PM
I finally made some progress on the 20 foot Formula project. I have had the interior apart for several months now, and Friday I finally figured out how to get the throttle assembly back together(it kinda fell apart on removal). I hooked the batteries back up and fired it up. It was running fine, but I noticed the oil pressure was down a little. Then I saw what I thought was water dripping from the block. Closer inspection showed it was emulsified oil/water. :mad: It was coming from a bolt hole that didn't have a bolt in it. :confused: I figured out what happened. Two months ago, a guy that works for me was looking for a used trailer. I sold my good conditioned galvanized to him and bought a new aluminum. When we were switching trailers, I noticed my boat seemed heavy pulling out of the water. Yep, forgot the drain plug. :( The water completely filled the bilge. Apparently the water went in that hole and into the oil pan. I guess the oil level is usually low enough that the oil doesn't come out of the hole, because I would have surely seen it, and never had to add oil to it. Now I have to drain the oil/water (9 quart oil pan of course), refill with half oil and half diesel. I will run it a few minutes, then drain it, and refill with fresh oil. I have done this before to remove the oil/water, and it worked great.

Digger
08-25-2002, 07:15 AM
half oil and half diesel? interesting, what is the theory behind that?
good luck!

Cuda
08-25-2002, 07:50 AM
The diesel will cut the mixture, while still providing lubricating properties. I learned it from my dad, who taught diesel mechanics in the Navy for 23 years, and then at Cummins after he retired. Works like a charm. Otherwise, you have to just keep changing the oil until you get it all out, and it doesn't come clean quickly that way.

Gearhead99
08-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Cuda is right about the diesel mixture. Automatic trans. fluid and oil mixture works too.

Digger
08-26-2002, 08:10 AM
thx guys thats great info.

...maybe you could edit original post and change the title to "removing water from oil" or something like that. I was just thinking this is a great little nugget of info that may be lost over time, but with a change of title it would pop up for anyone that did a search later on...