PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt "Sweet 16"

Craig
10-14-2003, 06:46 AM
This is sort of related to the Cobalt "Corsican" post.

As discussed before, I've tried to locate others with these Cobalt Donzi copy boats. A good while ago I had talked with Mark Lee Oldham, who I think has an entry (but no pics) in the registry.

I was going through my computer deleting old e-mails and came across one Mark sent me almost a year ago, but I never saw. I finally replied and told him I had, somehow missed his message.

Anyway, he had attached the pic below of his boat. His, is the only other XV-200 (copy of Sweet 16) with stern drive power I have ever seen besides mine and the couple I've seen in Cobalt and Pwer Boat mag. literature. I've talked with one guy that had a V-drive set up in the same boat.

Not sure if it's Mark's of previous owners doing, but notice the decals. Looks like someone has (had) in mind Donzi-izing it further. British Flag emblem - not originally on the Cobalt, and the Cobalt lettering ain't there. This boat may have been painted as the blue hull stripe runs all the way (length of hull). Mine, and others I've seen broke the colored gel-coating through the side emblems, leaving white surrounding them.

I asked for more pics in my reply e-mail. Hopefully I'll see some.

Here's Mark's boat; cool, eh? He has added the 4" exhaust tips (I like 'em) and trim tabs:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann400.jpg

I like Mark's blue deck. If it's true they only made "40" XV-200's before production was stopped, they sure ran the gammet of color schemes (assuming the ones I've seen are original gel coat colors).

I've seen the following-- all white hulls with other colors as follows:
1--Mine:
green hull stripe, white deck, green deck stripe,
2--One that Cobalt Boats still owns:
orange hull stripe, white deck, orange deck stripe,
3--Mark O's (above):
blue hull stripe, blue deck, white deck stripe,
4--Wayne Seigert's (V-drive):
red hull stripe, white deck, red deck stripe,
5--Power Boat mag article:
orange hull stripe, orange deck, white deck stripe,
6--Old Cobalt catalog (a colored drawing):
green hull stripe, green deck, white deck stripe,

The 2 Corsican copies I've seen are 1)an orange scheme and 2)a green scheme that match ones already covered above, but that's 6 different color schemes. Doesn't make for many of each.

Mark, your boat looks great. Thanks for the pic. Now that I think of it, your colors are shown in the old 1969 Cobalt catalog, but on an 18-2+3 version that, in my research, I'm still not sure was ever produced.

<small>[ October 17, 2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: MadPoodle ]</small>

Craig
10-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Here's a link to Cobalt's recent catalog page showing the little orange and white 16 they apparently still have:

http://www.cobaltboats.com/company/

It's funny, (I've shown this before) but, while Cobalt called this model an XV-200 in the beginning, they must have "forgot." Check this out:

Click on the Cobalt Boats link (above),

THEN, RIGHT click on the picture (called, in the catalog simply "1969 Cobalt 16 footer"),

THEN click "save picture as" you will notice the pic is saved and named on their site as "Sweet 16", not XV-200.

Pretty funny!

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
10-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Craig:

I just wanted to commend you on the great job you're doing as the unofficial historian of the Cobalt splashes!
I for one, am fascinated by the history of forgeries, copies, homages, reproductions, etc. I first became interested in this subject when I was buying guitars, and noticed a lot of Japanese axes that were copies of Fenders and Gibsons. Though not close enough to be considered forgeries, they were, ironically, of better quality than what was available at that time from the two American giants. They came to be known later as the "lawsuit models", but they had the positive effect of forcing the American mfgrs. to raise their quality level to stay competitive.
Later, when I got into Flatbottom Skiboats, I discovered the concept of "splashing" hulls. I'm continually fascinated to learn which hulls were splashed from whose. It's almost like doing geneology research to find out the lineage of some of these hull designs.
Lately I've become enamoured with "reproductions" and "replicas". My Dad and I had a "reproduction" of a late 30's Chris Craft built for us, rather than restore an original. That approach has its pros and cons and certainly makes for interesting conversation at the boat shows.
The repro vs. original, restored vs. "restified" debates rage on in all kinds of areas of collecting from musclecars to bicycles to airplanes to antique lamps.
As far as turning a Cobalt into a "Donzi Clone", I think the rarity of the Cobalt splash outweighs the mystique that the Donzi name posesses, and to falsify its pedigree only diminishes the boat's value. Besides, the very fact that the Donzi design was copied speaks volumes to the quality of the original design, and only adds to the mystique.

Keep up the good work!

FR :p

Craig
10-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks Flat Racer, aka BarrellBack. I've had a lot of fun with it and a lot of help from folks here.

I'm also a guitar nut. Did we discuss this before?

I was around when the Japanese began copying USA guitars. In addition to copying Fenders, I had a friend who had bought this Yamaha that was a copy of a Gibson ES-335 that looked, played and sounded, I'll say "as good." BUT, it cost significantly less.

With regard to this, another odd thing about the Cobalt I noticed; they actually priced the XV-200 at $500.00 more than the Donzi boat they copied (Donzi 16); not the norm for the copying practice. Maybe they were hoping to cover anticipated court costs with the extra money?!?!?! Now that's planning!

Back to guitars, I know Gibson went through a rough financial time at one point (I think later than all this), but the quality of those instruments (Gibsons) wasn't slipping as much, from what I remember, as Fender's guitars.

I recall a period, I guess there in the 70's when people really complained about Fender's standard models (Strats, Teles, etc.). Even still, some people aren't interested in certain year models.

Thankfully, they've got their act back together. There's so much to pick from with Fender's now and at some pretty decent values.

Any pics of the home-made Chris Craft? That sounds neat.

Incidentally, if you have any 50's models Strats or Teles, I'll give you $75.00 for 'em. That was a real bad period for them. They're not worth much. I'd be helping you out... ;-)

10-16-2003, 02:47 PM
Craig:

Any pics of the home-made Chris Craft? That sounds neat.
Here you go:

http://www.geocities.com/kool_toyz/38special.html

rustnrot
10-16-2003, 06:33 PM
And while we're on the subject, the Gar Wood Speedster replica we built:

http://www.nhacbm.org/Mark%20Weinberger.htm

rustnrot
10-16-2003, 06:35 PM
And while we're on the subject, the Gar Wood Speedster replica we built:

http://www.nhacbm.org/Mark%20Weinberger.htm

10-16-2003, 08:23 PM
rustnrot:

Very nice! Style and power, gotta love it.

Craig
10-17-2003, 06:44 AM
Beautiful boats! 38 Special is awesome. 55 mph? That's impressive. One of my favorite "woodies" wasn't quite as popular as Chris Craft and/or Gar Wood boats (love them too) was a Dunphy X-55 "Ski Boat" made by Dunphy Boats.

Was called in it's literature, "something like" the fastest inboard "runabout" in the world. they were boasting that with a speed of 55mph, I think in their 1974 literature. We had a 1962 16' Chris Craft "Ski Boat" with a 185hp 283 Chevy. It ran about 38-41, depending on conditions.

The Dunphy X-55 was, I think 17', had a 215 hp 312 Ford Interceptor, and was made of mahogany plywood. According to my Dad, the lightness of the boat being plywood helped make it fast. Also made the life span shorter if they weren't kept up.

I always loved the lines of that boat. Have to post some pics.

It was more 1960's in it's look than the boats you guys posted pics of (makes sense, it was made in the early to mid 60's).

Not many around now. You may know Dunphy Boats (Oshkosh Wisc.). Gone, now for a good while. I know they had a bad fire once. That may have been the end of them.

Rustnrot: What is the twin cockpit "Sweet 16" replica mentioned in the Gar Wood info.??

Is that something related to the Donzi "Sweet 16" design?

Oh man, I gotta scan a pic of a boat (1950's Chris Craft) my grandfather had. You guys will like this one. Wood boats were great.

rustnrot
10-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Here are pics of the 1934 Gar Wood Sweet Sixteen replica. Same hull as the Speedster but a twin cockpit. I set it up with a 5.0L Ford and a foot throttle. Banjo wheel is removable by pushing a pin. http://www.donzi.net/photos/tlang01.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/tlang02.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/tlang03.jpg

olredalert
10-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Rustnrot,

-------What a gorgeous little boat.I have always been attracted to Garwoods and Hackers(anything designed by Hacker).
-------The area Im from now is jammed full of wood boat history.I live about 10 miles north of the original Chris Craft plant in Algonac.Matter of fact,Sam from here on the board kept his mothership about 100 feet from the original factory building.Its now the sight of a great marina.There are large numbers of beautiful wood boats in the area,but very little to note historic significance.I think wood boats were so common place around here that they may not be looked upon with the same degree of reverence as in other locals(1000 Islands,Lake Tahoe,Lake Winni,etc.).
-------As well,my grandfather lived in Bal Harbour Fla.years ago and our next door neighbor was Gar Woods brother.I actually rode in a boat with Gar as a child my father tells me!Its a very vague memory at best as I was only about five at the time.........Bill S

Craig
10-17-2003, 11:14 AM
WWWWWWWWWWWWooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

CrackerJack
10-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Very nice.....Have you ever been down to the Mt. Dora Antique Boat show?

Craig
10-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Here's my Dad somewhere in the 50's in one of my Grandfather's old Chris Crafts. Never knew what model it was until a few months ago (found a good Chris Craft site and saw one) and now I forget what it is again!!

I know it's not a Holdiay or a Super Sport (they came later)... hmmm? Continental? I forget. Have to check.

According to Dad it had a Cadillac engine (I'm pretty sure a V8). Ain't she purdy!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann501.jpg
And here is the Dunphy X-55 I mentioned.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann504.jpg

Probably most won't think this is as pretty as the Chris Craft, and in a sense I agree, but I just always liked the lines of these and that the fact that they were very fast.

I've done a lot of searching on the web and there ain't many of these around! Wish it was mine. I'll show some more pics of these. Think I'll make a new post just for them.

rustnrot
10-18-2003, 08:13 AM
Both Gar Wood replicas, the speedster and twin cockpit have been to the Dora show before. The CC above is a Capri.

10-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Craig:

Your Grampa's CC looks like a '55 or '56 Capri. They came in 18' and 21' models. 1955 saw the introduction of that "bull nose" bow.

Craig
10-18-2003, 08:48 PM
FR,

Yeah, Capri sounds right, I think??

It probably won't stick in my mind because when I saw "Capri" I already had an image in my head of what that was; a small car from the 70's! And this is a pretty big looking ole' runabout.

Still I think Capri is right. It just doesn't fit for me! Should have been called something like:

Chris-Craft "Bohemoth."

Dad told me there were 3 of them on Deep Creek Lake (MD) and the other 2 "blew up!"

Blew up, as in explosion and fire due to lack of blowers I think. We never had a blower in the next Chris my grandfather bought (a '62). I think this was not uncommon with old inboards.

He actually got rid of the "Capri" because of what happened to the other 2. It made him nervous. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense. He was a doctor. Very smart, but not real mechanical.

Capri? --- Super Sport!! Now there was a name for a boat! Of course that was tied to a car too.

Mark Lee Oldham
01-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Craig,

Had my boat painted about two years ago, Peal White with Navy Blue center strip with red pinstripe. Painter then lost my engine hatch when his Suburban was stolen with the hatch in the back. Put the boat on the back burner since then but plan on putting her back in the water this year. I have warmed over the 351W motor. Still have the Homan Moody equipment but added 750 Holley, Edelbrock intake, Comp Cam and ported and flowed GT40 heads. Should be about 450HP. I'll get it out of storage this spring and post some more pics.

Also put on a Grant Classic wood rim and added a Cobalt center button. The original decals and pot metal surrounds were shot when I got the boat hence the "New" decals on the old photo. One US & one British since I had dual citizenship after being born in England.

Mark Oldham
Oklahoma City, Ok [/COLOR][/B]