PDA

View Full Version : Have I lost my mind?

Forrest
05-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, I checking out the classifieds over at that other Offshore website and stumbled across a pair of Volvo-Penta DPx "take-outs" drives, complete with transom assemblies with integrated external hydraulic steering, Chevrolet bell-housings, tie bar, the whole enchilada, for what I though was a great price, being sold by Victory Marine out there in Harbormasterland. With that, I gave "Lil" Bill a call and after he emailed me a few pictures, I whipped out the old and worn Discover Card and told him to ship 'em to my front door. I figured that these drives would, at the minimum, look great hanging on the back of the old Magnum. The cut outs for the DPx drives are the same as the Volvo AQ series making the installation re-glass and re-paint free. I can turn wrenches, but I have really come to hate doing anything that requires grinding, glassing, and painting. I'll leave that work for the CDMAs and Scott Pearsons in this world. By the way, the above mentioned people do such good refinish work that they actually piss me off when I see their stuff especially when my work doesn't turn out nearly as well. Hell, the last time I did an Awlgrip job, I had a big ol' beetle fly into the freshly flowed-out paint and then crawl about three freggin feet before I saw it. Between that damn beetle and isocyanides from the paint fumes . . . well lest just say that I'm glad that there were no women, children, or clergymen near by. Anyway, I figure that I will run with the 280Ts until about October and then do the swap-out. Now how much does a pair of props cost for a pair of DPx drives?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/FCoile_DPX1.jpg

---------------
Forrest

Looking for second job in Tallahassee.

Cuda
05-30-2003, 01:05 PM
I think they are great looking drives, and from what I've heard, stronger than B1's. What power do you have in the Magnum?

Forrest
05-30-2003, 02:28 PM
Cuda, I'm running a pair of 383 stroker small-blocks. Hopefully with the small blocks, the drives will outlast the boat! Volvo's biggest offering with DPx drives were 540 cubic-inch 600HP EFI Innovation Marine built engines, so I guess that I have a little safety factor here.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/fcoile_dpx600.jpg
600 DPx

smoothie
05-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Nice find Forrest,they should run and look great on your magnum. :cool:

mattyboy
05-30-2003, 02:55 PM
no pretty sound thinking I would say,
nice find, didn't know the dpx has the same cutout now you got me thinking???????? wink :D

Matty

BUIZILLA
05-30-2003, 03:22 PM
EXCELLENT SCORE

you done good, don't look back!

J

hmmm, will a DP directly replace an Alpha 1 ???

Greg
06-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Forrest, Good score! A friend of mine has a 29' Mach 1 with a single bbc. He has one of those drives and it seems to come out of the water on plane. You should be very happy with those. I think his last set of props cost around $800. I could be wrong on that one though.

Ed Donnelly
06-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Looks like new. Why wait until fall?..Ed

Forrest
06-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Ed, I think for change I'm going to try to use the Magnum this summer rather than work on it. :D Besides, I have a new pair of Hill props that I only used twice!

MOP
06-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Forrest you have made the hit of the year, that is the best duo available. When you get it going buy a neck brace the hole shot is amazing. Best of luck, I admit to being a bit envious!

Dredgeking
06-04-2003, 03:43 PM
is the dpx cut out the same as the 270? if so, i know what i'm going to swap to.

oldLenny
06-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Forrest, NICE find!!!,..when doing props later on remember these are NOT surface piercing drives like the Blackhawk. These are more along the lines of a BravoIII but "slippery". I am sure the props available will dictate this. These will look great on the Magnum !!!

Forrest
06-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Thanks Lenny for the vote of confidence. I won't mount 'em too high. They will probabaly go at the same level at the existing 280Ts. Dredgeking, the cutout is the same as a 290 which may mean, in my case, filling some a few small holes where the power-trim lines passed through the transom. But that would only be in the case of the 280T with the big "ears" on each side of the transom assembly that house the trim rams. Otherwise, minor trimming is necessary to fit a 290 style transom assembly where a 250/270/280 once was.

Now I need to find the correct hydraulic steering helm since that was not included in the package.

Fish boy
06-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Sweeeeeet. Heard nothing but good things about them.

RedDog
06-09-2003, 09:28 AM
I think that is the drive hanging off the back of the "Batboat" (28 Vamp) at AOTH III. 550 HP was running through it. Acceleration and turning was fantastic - great setup

seano
06-09-2003, 04:18 PM
forrest,

great score man...that's an excellent updat to an awesome boat! good luck and be sure to take plenty of pics for us!

LKSD
06-25-2003, 09:54 AM
GRRRRRRRRRREAT IDEAS !! BY THE WAY IF ANY ONE NEEDS PARTS FOR THESE I CAN GET THEM FOR YOU , OR ANYTHING GAS POWERED FROM VOLVO MARINE (AS LONG AS ITS STILL AVAIL) JUST TELL ME YOUR FROM THE DONZI SITE ...... JAMIE
JW@LAKESIDERESTORATIONS.COM
:cool:

Forrest
06-25-2003, 10:29 AM
Jamie, I'm sure that I'll be talking with you . . .