PDA

View Full Version : Boston Whaler 17' w/ 90 HP

KAJUNGA
10-10-2003, 04:41 PM
this boat "slaps" alot. The faster you go, the worse it gets. Trimming engine barely makes a difference. Weight in the front definetly makes a difference. I hate to add more weight to the boat howeAny other suggestions for an easy fix?

tailwind
10-10-2003, 10:38 PM
What hp have you with your "Montauk"? trimming should make an absolute difference!

Also,please let us know your prop: diameter / pitch. Which area would you like to see a dramatic performace gain - pulling tubes, or top end? i have had numerous Montauks and will advise accordingly

Randy

KAJUNGA
10-11-2003, 11:00 AM
The boat is a Super sport ( 2 full benches ).
Horsepower is 90 evinrude-approx. 1986 ( uses tons of fuel )
I just tour around with the boat at about 3500 rpm. Not much tubing .
Not sure what prop-sorry.
If it would stop 'slapping' , I would be very happy.
thx

BUIZILLA
10-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Your going to have to flip it over, and take the hook out of the bottom, or you'll never get it right.

J

KAJUNGA
10-12-2003, 09:53 AM
But won't the boat sink if I flip it over?
:)

BUIZILLA
10-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Well, you can look at it this way... if it does sink, you won't have to worry about the hook...

J

avanti
10-12-2003, 07:14 PM
I have a 17ft. Boston Whaler Alert which is the commercial version of the Montauk. When I trim the engine in, the boat rides smooth. I think you might have a problem with the engine trimming all the way in. Ours has a 115 Evinrude with a center console which has 22 Gals. of gas under it and the battery. The more weight you can get forward, the better she will handle in rough water.

GEOO
10-13-2003, 07:12 AM
It's a Whaler. She's a great boat, but it's not a Deep V. It's going to hit. The larger your load the better she will ride. Get a bigger seat cushion. wink

KAJUNGA
10-14-2003, 02:09 PM
AVANTI - The trim is not a problem-it is OK. The boat slaps in calm and rough water. I guess I will have to add weight to the bow ( there goes the already horrible fuel consumption ) !!

GEOO - do you know where I can get a bigger seat cushion ? Or maybe I can find a woman with more cushion on her seat ?