PDA

View Full Version : Old Aronow Race Boat Maybe? New Model not seen before?

boldts
07-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Received an e-mail yesterday from a person wanting some information about a
Donzi they have in their posession. The boat is 28' long so naturally, I thought it
might be a Sportsman. Problem is, the vintage is 1956. Sportsmans and all other
Donzi boats didn't begin until 1964 or 65 right? I'm not a historian, but could this
Donzi be an Aronow race boat before Donzi was officially started? BTW, I did refer
this person to this web site. (I also asked for a picture of the boat) Do you think I
could talk Beth into selling the 22 to buy a historical 28? :D

EricG
07-25-2002, 01:40 PM
I don't think the date is quite right? I was reading SeaRace (great information, horribly written - BTW) last weekend and it mentioned Don's first raceboat being "Claudia" in the '62 Miami Nassau Race. Also, according to This (http://www.njppc.com/OldOffshoreStories/aronowstory1.htm) article on the NJPPC historical website, he didn't even move to Florida and get into boating until '60? So, either it isn't related to Donzi - or the year isn't quite right.

I look forward to seeing pictures though....you never know what might show up.

-EG
Disclaimer: I wasn't there, I've only read books....so correct me if I'm wrong. :D

FASTEDDIE
07-25-2002, 01:48 PM
It could be related to a guy who called me a few years ago. He said his Dad died and had :p :p a 1956 Donzi Classic 18 foot boat and left it to him. I stated that it couldn't be but he argued and insisted that it was a 1956 Donzi. I then told him that I didn't know anything about Donzi's made in 1956. Sorry. :p :p :p

boldts
07-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Interesting Ed. The note I received was from the wife of a man who had passed away and was looking for information about the boat. Note definitely said 28' and 1956 Donzi. Supposedly, the husband bought the boat in the early 70's and it has been restored to original condition. Could it be an OSO joke just to see if we know our boats? :)

BERTRAM BOY
07-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Scott,
Where is the boat? It at least needs to be looked at to find what it actually is.
About 28'. Let's see, it could be a Formula 272, a Donzi 28' or a Magnum.......
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Formula Jr
07-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Ray Hunt didn't even perfect the Deep Vee till '57. Don was still building apartments in '56. The E-mailer must be uncertain of the date. If its an early 28 Donzi, it has to be a Sportsman.

boldts
07-25-2002, 05:09 PM
More info received today. I included a picture of a 28 Sportsman along with my reply last night so the owner could compare it to their boat. Boat appears to be located in Kentucky. Here is the original note I received along with the reply I got back today.

It is a Donzi Racing Yacht manufactured in l956. It is 28ft long and has two 350 Holman Moody Moters? My husband (deceased) purchased the boat in the early 70s and there were only 7 out of 15 that was made.

Dear Scott,
Thank you so much for E-Mailing me back. The Donzi I have looks very much like the picture you sent me, however, mind is larger in front to make room for the living quarters. This consists of Bed, bath and stove. It also came with a flying bridge. My husband said it was l956 but the papers do say it is a l966. I can not send you a picture right now because I don't know how, but I will get one of my children to do so when they have time. What size motors does yours have?
The fiberglass body is in good shape but the insides would have to be gutted and started from scratch.
One motor is out and rusted. My husband had a motor pulled out for some reason. I have to say that he loved Donzi very much and had plans for it, but he died. When we bought it in the early 70's we had it out in Florida and it was wonderful and all together, flybridge and all. I had not been in it for several years and the coons had their own motel.
I will do as you have advised and register. I do not boat anymore and would love to sell it to someone who would fix it up. They would really have a jewel.
Thanks again for replying.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell529.jpg

Scott Pearson
07-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Gotta love them Sportsman's! http://www.donzi.net/photos/spear2801.jpg

(NJ)Scott

ToonaFish
07-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Just say NO Pearson...

boldts
07-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Got to thinking about this especially after reading Fasteddie's response. I think someone is having a laugh at my expense! It's cool, just let me in on it so no more board space is wasted! I can be rather gulable when it comes to someone needing help and our Donzi boats. I guess I need to pull my Michael Aronow signed book about his father out of the frame and actually read the whole thing. Look, if this is a laugh on someone's part, just remind yourself of the story about the sheep that cried wolf! The next time someone really is serious and needs my help to find an answer, I may look the other way. Naw, that's not in my nature. wink