PDA

View Full Version : Engine cover Latches

Ralph Savarese
03-24-2001, 02:52 PM
3 door engine cover latches for a 66 18 ft 2+3 Anyone have any?

GeneD
05-15-2001, 08:26 AM
Ralph,
How did you make out with this?
'66 three hatch owners want to know!
I did mention that Gem still carries them, but the ones I got from them looked terrible, and I sent them back.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Ralph Savarese
05-15-2001, 07:33 PM
Gene still trying to work that out who is Gem Do they have a web site . i hope to just put plain lift rings and snap closed latches if this cant be had!

Ralph

GeneD
05-15-2001, 10:33 PM
NO!!!!!
No snaps with lift rings.
Ralph, the hatches MUST be securely fastened down with a postive locking device. Believe me, I know from experience. The things will vibrate loose and pop open and if you have thru hull exhaust, you will never hear it, and you will be looking for your hatches in the Great South Bay somewhere. (you do boat on the south shore don't you?)
I will blast a dig pic of mine to you. At least you will get an idea.
Gem is somewhere north of you. I forget how I got their address. I may have looked it up on the internet, yes...that must be it. Check it out and get back to me.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Ralph Savarese
05-17-2001, 09:14 PM
Gene . What is it Gem latches what does the company do? what catagory?
Ralph
And yes I do tear up the great South Bay!!!

Greg
05-31-2001, 05:34 PM
Many of the early Donzis used Perko hardware. Mine is a '66 and the engine latches, hinges and lights are still available. I have two catalogs that still stock the Perko line. They are Freeport Marine Supply,47 W. Merrick Rd. Freeport New York 11520 Tel 516-379-2610 and Post Marine Supply Toll free hotline 1-800-YACHTER.

BERTRAM BOY
05-31-2001, 09:13 PM
Actually, The Perko hinges and latches aren't exactly the same.... they look the same, but the holes don't quite line up correctly. You'll have fill the old holes and drill new ones to get them to fit. That's what Scott Pearson did.
BERTRAM BOY

Ralph Savarese
06-02-2001, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info but I already checked with Freeport Marine .The only latches they have are the newer ones which are smaller. I think I will have to put my old ones back untill I come across them.
Ralph