PDA

View Full Version : 64 Formula Jr.

jeffenglish
01-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I have a 1964? 17 foot Formula JR, no hardware, all new fiberglass and gel coat work, hull and top are in separate pieces, appears to have been an inboard, would like any info that anyone has on this boat, value, etc.

Lenny
01-26-2004, 01:14 PM
I don't believe the Formula Junior was available as a glass boat in 1964...I have one. The fella to talk to is owen@epud.net. He has researched all of this stuff for a long time.

Unfortunately the search feature is not yet working on the new site but when it is do a search under "formula junior (or jr)" and you will find a wealth of info. Mine has no power in it right now. (come to think of it, most every boat I have has no power in it...

thriller
01-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Holy crap batman..How are you gonna meet me at Peirs Island for the 1st Annual dude? I guess you could launch at Swartz Bay and use a 9.9 kicker. I'll leave my place at the same time and it should be a close arrival time.LOL:D
Mike

Formula Jr
01-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi Jeff,
This design started out as a plywood inboard/outboard kit boat and was designed by Jim Wynne - the same fella that later designed the Donzi 16. It was the first small deep Vee I/O offshore design. The kit was based on a race boat called the Wyn-Mill which won the Paris Endurance race I believe in '62. Jim Wynne and Don Arronow had a falling out in '66 or so and thats when Wynne gave the design to Formula Marine in order to make a fiberglass rendition of the design to compete with his own Donzi 16 design. As far as I can tell production was from '66 to '71. They could be ordered with either Volvo or Merc power and drives. And had bilt-rite interiors. Bilt-Rite no longer has the templates. The serial numbers for these boats were found on a small plastic plate attached to the inner port transom wall. Very early boats had Merc power plants and only two engine compartment vents. Later models have an extra two vents on the foredeck. This boat needs trim tabs if you want to run over 55 mph. Before mine died, it was running 60-62 with a 351 Ford Cleveland four barrel and a Merc MR Type 1 drive.

Lenny
01-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Thriller, the GT21 works fine and NOW has a new leg on it. It will run with you but about 25 mile per hour slower. :rolleyes:

Jeff, here is a nice one, and it ran GREAT !!! (this is Owens)

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lgreen20.jpg