PDA

View Full Version : Wooden "Donzi" shift knob

HP 600SC
05-17-2003, 08:37 AM
Ok, try not to laugh but its worth asking.
Anyone have a wooden "Donzi" shift knob they will sell? e-mail me: tedwork@tampabay.rr.com
or call Ted at (727) 573-2213 M-F 9-4
Thank's
Ted

oldLenny
05-17-2003, 11:58 AM
If you find one Ted, I know from experience that you could get some Walnut or Phillipine Mahaogany ones done on a CNC lathe for about $5 a pop...Then get the emblem cast and a screw-in 5/16 NC brass thread. I know there are quite a few out there.
I get tapered hardwood "plugs" done here on CNC for use in the gas pipeline industry. They are about $4 each, very similar but 4 1/4" in diameter and 6 inches long. These would be "cheap".

olredalert
05-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Ted,

-------Go onto "where to get stuff" and go to reproduction hardware.E-mail Rich Pflaumer(SP)at the E-mail address that Harbormaster has listed as Rick(slight error on Scotts part).
-------Rich said he was going to reproduce these,but I havent heard from him in quite awhile.
-------If he doesnt have them done,get an old MGMitten catalog and order one of thier wood aftermarket shift knobs for any of those old english sportscars.They are almost identical except for the emblem and the thread.Thankfully the thread is a bit smaller and can be drilled and tapped to the correct size.Until someone steps up and does some correct cloissone emblems I found that the horn buttons on E-bay all the time can be whittled down a bit and look OK.........Bill S

HP 600SC
05-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Red, thank you........great idea!
Ted M.