PDA

View Full Version : MerCruiser Alpha SS

Murphy
11-30-2000, 10:09 PM
Noticed this drive for sale on ebay. Price is currently at $1200. I know some people are interested in this drive. Search under MerCruiser.

Murph

AVickers
12-01-2000, 08:29 AM
You think it'll hold up behind a Big Block?

I've got a 22' w/ Alpha/Big Block Combo...and have been looking for a spare drive. This might be cool.

Does the SS have a water pump in it like the Alpha? (I kind of doubt it...)

Greg Riach
12-01-2000, 10:02 AM
I tried to buy this drive from Mike for $2200. I had arranged with him to pick it up on a Sunday. When my son arrived Mike would not answer his phone, a few hours later Mike sent me an email saying he was going away for awhile to the races. We wasted 14 hours driving there and back. If you need more info about this deal gone sour, contact me.

BUYER BEWARE, look out if you are dealing with Mike.

Greg

Forrest
12-04-2000, 11:37 AM
Wow Greg, need you say more? Nothing worse than dealing with someone who doesn't care if they make the sale or not . . . especially if they made you drive 14 hours to complete the deal! Also, I am always weary about putting a bid in on an expensive item with very little discription, no pictures, and the sell has zero feedback. In fact, I won't do it! I bought my SS on eBay two years back for $1500 and it was like new, but it was located in St Petersburg, FL, which is about 250 miles away from me. For that reason, I was able to check it out in person before handing the seller the cash.

Also, the SS uses the same water pump as the regular Gen I Alpha drive.

------------------
Forrest

checkmate2
12-16-2000, 07:03 PM
I've been runnin one for 6 years behind a 454/425HP. Zero problems, running a drive shower and change oil every 35hrs. If you're careful, they can hold up.

Greg, is that the same guy advertising one on offshoreonly??

Greg Riach
12-16-2000, 08:37 PM
Checkmate2

Yes this is the same guy. I saw his ad on Offshore Only, he seemed OK when I first talked to him, but later the deal fell apart. I was lucky and I just picked up a new Bravo in the box for a few hundred more than I was going to pay him.

Greg