PDA

View Full Version : 18'Classic or 22' Classic

BacDoc
07-26-2001, 10:58 PM
I bought a new Chris Craft 262 with 454 Mag last year and thought I could have two boats in one. The 25 1/2 ft is great for 2 families for day on lake and the 454 mag is great to go out with the guys and go about 58 mph for fast run. Anyway this winter went to boat show and saw my first 22'Donzi Classic and fell in love, after test drive I have to get one. My ? is do you guys think I could get an 18' Classic and be as satisfied as I would be with a 22'Classic. The lake I'm on gets pretty choppy on weekends and other 18' boats I've had didn't handle it very well. There are some nice 18' out there and they seem to be a little cheaper. The Donzi going to be a second boat and for limited use ( thrill rides with one or two other guys,wifes seem to like comfort of deck boat). Just wanted to get opinions from you Donzi guys. I hope I don't open a can of worms between 18'& 22' Classic owners. Also anything on 20'Minx ( one just came up on my lake this week with 350& alpha drive)and 78 21' GT
Thanks for any input
BacDoc null

Formula Jr
07-26-2001, 11:33 PM
If your wife likes the comfort of a deck boat, get the 22. The 18 is a jumper and a wilder ride. The 22 feels like a big steady boat with lots more room to stretch out.

Dr. Dan
07-27-2001, 07:57 AM
:cool: The 18's offer economy and speed and they are very popular, they have a limited long cruising range(smaller tank) and do probably catch more air than its longer brother the 22. We have ridin in both and the 22 is very forgiving and offers a bit more protection as far as higher sides and a windsheild that might stand a chance at stopping the projectile bug inpalement at high speeds. We boat in the Chesapeake and it gets serious quickly, so I am more comfortable in the 22. If your just going to run around and jump, then an 18 is going to be more bang for your buck, if you'll spend any long time on the water or travel distances(in a hurry of course) then you might want to hold out for a clean 22!..Good Luck...Doc

Murphy
07-28-2001, 05:55 PM
Hi Doc,

My opinion is that you may want to take a long ride in a 22 before you trade. I have a 22 and love it but I wouldn't classify it as a great family boat. It is perfect for 2, great for 3, fine for 4, and like a can of sardines beyond that. If you want to take out a couple of families with coolers, boards, skies, swimming, etc., better hang on to the CC. Also, consider how your better half handles excitement. Some love the classic's speed, acrobatics, roar, and speed... some hate it. My wife knows I'm having fun when the cooler on the back seat does a 360 in the air. If you're hooked on having a Classic (and believe me, I understand) my advice is keep the CC for family boating and get a 22 for daycruising and grins with just the wife or buddies. Another option would be to go for one of the Donzi Z series in the same size as your CC. The Z's are roomier, and have more of the family boat amenities. Best of Luck!

Murph

Murphy
07-28-2001, 06:26 PM
Hi again Doc,

Sorry, I had trouble logging in and by the time I responded I'd lost some of the details of your question. Anyway... since this is a second boat and you will be keeping the CC, my .2 worth is:
22 Classic, 502, Bravo, Silent Choice, loaded. Donzi's are great boats. You will love it.

Murph

roadtrip se
07-28-2001, 11:50 PM
Got a 22 502 boat in September. Love it. We had a 16. It was more like a personal water craft. Great wave jumper for the thrill seeker. The 22 has more speed, although we are in a serious quest for more out of this boat, more freeboard, and more stability. Family of four will like it if they like raw acceleration and a great ski boat. Just tell them to leave all their extra stuff at home; there ain't no room for it and the rest will blow out. Enjoy your new boat. Todd

RickR
07-29-2001, 08:10 AM
I prefer the 18 for a lake boat and the 22 for the big water (Gulf)
They are totally different rides. See if you can get a test drive in a 18 so you can compare.
If most of your boating is in the summer, the 22 is much hotter due to the higher freeboard and windshield. You get more wind in your face in the 18 :eek:

BigGrizzly
07-29-2001, 11:35 AM
I have both a 18 and a 22 (with big horsepower) they are some what diffrernt. Wife calls the 18 my corvette. Its small stylish and quick both in acceleration and handling. the 18 is more agile in tight stuff only. I still can't decide which to keep. the 18 is a better ski boat, and you can jump Jet skis with it.
Randy

AVickers
07-29-2001, 01:09 PM
Ok,

I fell in love w/ the 22 when I first saw one, but bought an 18 due to financial restrictions... I have since gone to the 22 'cause it was what I wanted in the first place -- funny how life sometimes works that way. I think I'm now looking for a good Blachhawk 'cause they're more unique...

I love the 22, but I miss the 18.

They are TOTALLY different boats! The 22 is MUCH bigger -- more freeboard and heavier and less breeze coming through when underway in the blazing hot Texas sun. It's also more difficult to launch and load and it really takes up more room on my place. Once on the water, the boat is lovely to drive and a gas to drive fast. The 18 was totally easy to live with. Launching and loading is a breeze and the boat flys... After I got used to it, I could throw it around with abandon. But it was always cramped in there. Even an ice chest seemed to take up a LOT of room.

Given a choice, I'd have both. Given a choice of only one, I'd have the 22...
:D :D :D

BTW -- There's no way either boat is a family outing boat unless you're close enough to a picnic area to stash all the family-related stuff there. Neither boat has any real stowage space. You can stash stuff under the deck or in the engine compartment, but getting to it is a very large PITA. Knowing what I know now, if I weren't where I have a docking/picnic area to stash extra people and gear, I'd look at different upper deck arrangements for my boating pleasure.

As it is, I have a speedboat -- not a family boat and that's fine with everyone at this house...

chief bigwin
07-30-2001, 05:22 PM
BacDoc!

I started out looking at an 18. I made the mistake (not that you can call it that) of driving a 22 with a 502. I liked the price of the 18, just not enough freeboard and room for my liking, but I still enjoyed it. When I drove the 22 I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I LOVED the 22. It feels safer and it handles heavy water beautifully. Last September was the first time I had ever laid eyes on a 22 but knew that I had to have one. I ordered my 22 last Wednesday, for next April delivery. I am like a little kid the night before Christmas. Its going to be the longest 9 months of my life.

My 2 cents worth (and most others that have responded to your post)...go with the 22.

Brian
On Lake of Bays