PDA

View Full Version : Facotry paint??!?!?

G - FORCE 88
09-17-2002, 08:58 AM
I am gonna have my boats center strip painted over the off season due to contiunous fading no matter what I do. SO I was wondering what paint I should use and what is the factory paint code for the DOnzi REd?? Or does anyone have any suggestions on anything else that might work. This boat still factory gel/paint/in A- condition but overall it looks great. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: wink

MOP
09-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Alwgrip, Sterling, Imron are the best bets, prep and application are the real important factors any good professional can shot any of them.

Woodsy
09-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Have the boat wetsanded.... the red is in the gelcoat. There is a guy up here on Winni that does it, and it will make a chalky pink a dark ruby red....

Woodsy Von Donzi :) :)

McGary911
09-17-2002, 12:11 PM
I dont know if you can get the same service for marine paint, but when i wasnt sure of the color on my porsche, my shop had their ppg rep come in and use a type of camera that took a pic of the paint, and allowed them to mix up an exact match. It turned out perfect. Something to look into if you decide to paint.

BTW- my car was 1986 porsche india red. I wont froget that one anytime soon......

David Ochs
09-17-2002, 12:26 PM
Tantan, I used Awlgrip when restoring my boat. It is wonderful. However, keep in mind that if you only paint the stripes, you will create a ridge. Since I painted my entire boat, we cleared over the whole thing and wet sanded so you can't feel the line.
Having said all that, you may want to consider other alternatives.

Gary S.
09-17-2002, 04:23 PM
Sterling is the only one I have found that is Ok'ed for below the water line use,,,, I have done a lot of research on marine finnishes in the past few months, PPG,, Awlgrip, Ect.,, will yellow if left in the water. Not to mention the roll and tip application can be done at home by almost anyone.