PDA

View Full Version : 406 Cubic Inch Mercruiser - Complete

GeneD
08-27-2003, 02:31 PM
1973 400 block
1969-70 491 1.98 heads, gasket matched and ported, bathtub chambers and large diameter exhaust valve stems (sodium filled)
Mercruiser 270 camshaft
Clevite 77 cam bearings
TRW lifters
TRW hardened steel pushrods
Summit Racing 1.6 rockers w/slotted rocker balls and new nuts
Hardened steel screw-in rocker studs
TRW hi-volume oil pump
Aluminum 8 qt. oil pan
Exhaust manifolds practically new, take-offs from a Sea Ray test motor with less than 8 hours
SST risers
Keith Black hypereutectic pistons (.030) single valve relief groove
Stock 400 rods, re-sized/reconditioned
New ARP rod bolts
Crankshaft cut .010 mains, .010 rods w/Clevite 77 bearings
Double roller timing chain (I forget manufacturer) & upper and lower timing gears
The motor comes fully assembled ready to drop in and go. Hooks up to a stock Merc harness (to connect the one on the engine that has been totally covered with the appropriate diameter black wire flex hose), battery, and fuel, and you're ready to go.
It's got a stock Q-jet with flame arrestor and stock Mercury carburator/intake manifold cover.
Thunderbolt IV electronic ignition with new wires and plugs.
It's got all new belts, and all the accessories. Power steering and hoses, alternator, all the engine wiring, ect.
The engine was boiled and bored out .030 over. It was decked to give a .038 deck height with the Fel-Pro stainless steel gaskets ($35 ea.). Crank was turned, checked for balance. It's got the special flywheel for the 400. It's got the marine stainless steel and bronze waterpump for use with an Alpha 1. It's got the high-torque starter, you know...the little one. New fuel pump and lines. The cam has been retarded 4 degrees, the motor has a nice lope to it. The machine work, including the heads was done at CHS Machine Shop in Melbourne. He's retired now, but still does work for me when I need it. The heads have all been re-done...spring height set, valve job, boiled, clean-up mill, valves sealed up tight with umbrellas, hardened steel inserts on the exhaust valves, new cast iron valve guides.
Most of the engine hardware has been replaced with stainless steel.
**There is not one single water jacket on this engine that has ever seen salt water, with the exception of the stainless steel risers.**
It's awesome and it's got a lot of torque. I asked the machinist if I would get 300 HP out of it and he laughed. He said I would get minimum of 350 HP and probably more.
It's been painted with Merc Phantom Black.
It has only been run on the shop floor, it's filled with 9 quarts of Valvoline 30HP. It's got new Quicksilver fuel and oil filters.
It's in 007 now, but of course can come right out.
My mind is a bit fuzzy on the years of the block and heads, but it's close. If necessary, I'll check the block and heads for casting numbers, ect.

Price: $4000.00 OBO, it's got to go...

(727) 544-1617 Gene home

GeneD
09-19-2003, 11:01 AM
This engine and boat will be up for sale and will be shown at the Hyatt this wekend in Sarasota.