PDA

View Full Version : OMC, King Cobra Drive

Robert Geoghegan
04-06-2003, 08:48 AM
I just bought a boat with a King Cobra Drive. I'm replacing the drive with a Bravo I (which I have in my garage) I'm selling the entire drive and transom assembly. The drive/transom assembly appear to be in very good condition. The drive has a nose cone on it. I thought I would post it here first, knowing that many of my Donzi friends have these drives. If it doesn't sell here, it's going on E-Bay. Make me an offer, the transon assembly is still mounted on the boat, save money, bring your tools and remove it yourself. Lets talk.
Bob G.
732 864-9724
E-mail, BOBG1060@AOL.COM

MOP
04-11-2003, 07:55 PM
Sell the Bravo the Cobra will last longer!

tailwind
04-12-2003, 10:33 PM
What are you asking $$

please list model nos, etc.

Thanks,
Randy

Have immediate funds to transfer it reasonable - forget ebay!

Robert Geoghegan
04-19-2003, 08:36 AM
After dicussing the drive issue with a marine mechanic (and listening to MOP) I've decided to leave the drive on. I will be racing the boat in APBA's P5 class. I know of one other boat that races and uses a King Cobra, hopefully it will work out OK. I will also save the expense of the "swap over". Anyway, thanks to the advice by MOP and others who swear by these drives. I'll keep you posted on how well it works out.
Sorry Tailwind-the drive is no longer for sale.
Thanks for the advice!
Bob G. :)

MOP
04-19-2003, 08:49 AM
I know I am a pain in the ass about these drives, but having seen them apart and have been able to compare bearings and gears to Merc there is no contest. Also look on any shop repair rack its all black. Yeah I have heard the arguement well how many did they build, which is true but they are still not on the rack! I have a bottom shifter Cobra which is comparable to a Merc if I ever puke it I will go KING!

Max Continuous
08-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately I messed up Bad! I destroyed my King Cobra Drive upper and Lower. After a fresh lubricant change a King Cobra can last about three hours without the dip stick screw tightened. I wish I could be sure that I tightened it but I can't. My pride is hurt and my outdrive is on the garage floor. I am looking for a used King Cobra or I will be spending the rest of the summer rebuilding this one. Any information where I might find one.

mailto:fgoudey@infiltratorsystems.netfgoudey@infil tratorsystems.net</a>

Robert Geoghegan
08-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Ford,
Sorry, just sold it two weeks ago.

Forrest
08-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Ford, if you can't find a used King or fix yours, for a few more bucks, you could always change the transom assembly and go to the Volvo SX (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000400).