PDA

View Full Version : 1967 18-2+3 Value???

penbroke
09-01-2002, 10:20 PM
Hi all. I need some help to determine the value of the boat for sale down the road. It is a 1967 Donzi 18' 2+3. The boat is red top with white stripe and all red hull with very faded topsides. The hull is in good condition with minor to moderate scatches and scrapes from bad trailering and general use over the past 35 or so years. (The current owner has had it for 27 years. Never moored or docked, always trailered and stored inside.) As far as I can tell it has never been painted or restored in any way. Sometime in the mid seventies the original Ford 289 2 bbl was exchanged for a 289 4 bbl removed from a '67 Cobra GT 350 Mustang. (The rocker arm covers and the oil pan are cast aluminum with COBRA cast in to them) It has the double door engine hatch and the cast metal "Donzi Marine" badges on the sides which cause the flag decals to be out of line with the DONZI decal. Is that right?? The drive is a Volvo 200 as far as I can tell. It is sitting on a fairly old, full roller trailer that is in pretty good condition. The asking price is $8900.

My question is:

Is this a fair price and should it be restored or left alone? ? ? Does "un-molested" mean as much to a Donzi as it does in cars of the same era??

By the way the first Donzi I rode in was in '67 or '68 (don't know for sure, as I was 8 or 9) out of the same 'yard that this boat came from. It may very well be the same boat. The current owner worked there that summer and actually prepped this boat for delivery.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
frank

Formula Jr
09-02-2002, 04:54 AM
Too high. Way too high.........

BERTRAM BOY
09-02-2002, 07:16 AM
2+3's don't have " double door hatches". Corsicans do.
A few pictures would help. And yeah, sounds a little too high on the price.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Scott Pearson
09-02-2002, 07:21 AM
Sounds about right to me.....

(NJ)Scott

harbormaster
09-02-2002, 07:51 AM
Sure it isn't a 3 hatch?

check the foredeck to make sure it has no week spots. offer them 7500 cash.

Greg
09-02-2002, 09:45 AM
The price sounds high for what is there. I have a '66 18. I would ask about the car engine, when the swapped engines did they change the starter to a marine one? Check on the carb, fuel pump,fuel line and water pump also. If these aren't marine items it could get expensive to change them over. I did basically the same thing many years ago to my boat. We swapped the boat engine for a hp289 with a 4bbl. carb. Most things are interchangeable on the 289. My mechanic was a "fly by night" kind of guy, which I didn't find out about till later. At the time I didnt have the knowledge or common sense to watch him and ended up with an automobile carb. I then told him to put in a hotter than stock marine cam and ended up with a stock car cam. The Volvo 200 is a real workhorse of a drive. I abused mine quite a bit and it held up very well. The deck coring on mine is the foam type and is holding up very well I am pleased to say. I am curious about the engine hatch, I thought Donzi did away with them early in '66. (Could be wrong here) Mine is ser.#92 and has the single hatch. Check the back of the dash on the passenger side and look for a date and a serial number, it should say 18- something or other. Check the condition of the transom and stringers, tap them lightly with a metal pbject. If they sound hollow or dead it could be trouble. Check the gas tank for leaks, the deck needs to be removed to replace these. Hope this helps, sorry to be so long winded. Greg

Rootsy
09-02-2002, 10:01 AM
and if the motor's bloodline is one of the selling points be aware that the oil pan and valve covers can still be purchased brand new today. the Shelby motors had aluminum intake manifolds, cobra valve covers and oil pan as well as holley carburetors. the 289 hipo motor which is what the shelby motors were built from featured stronger bottom ends, mechanical advance dual point distributors and mechanical camshafts which means noisy lifters while running, a dead giveaway that it may in fact be a 289 hi-po motor. some of the other things to look for in that motor are high compression ratio (forged domed pistons) of around 11.5:1, small chamber cylinder heads (48 cc) and an obvious one is the use of screw in rocker arm studs vs. pressed in as on normal 289's. you can also go by some casting numbers scattered about the motor...

Dino
09-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Frank
That boat is quite well known around here.
Its history is pretty clear as it was purchased new and stayed in the same town since 67.

Drop me a line and I will hook you up with someone that can help you with it.

Formula Jr
09-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Its always more important to know the seller, than to know the boat. Unless the boat is off the showroom floor. Warning flags should have gone off when they said the motor was out of a car. Its not just the starter you need to look at. Alternator, Distibutor, fuel pump and carb, cam, water pump are all slightly, different. A 289 is not so much of a marine engine anymore. Particularly in an 18. Harbormaster was right where I was thinking at 7500, and it would have to be in pretty good shape for even that price. Don't let Donzi lust cloud your thinking. The boat is after all 34 years old.

penbroke
09-03-2002, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to let this one sit for a while and see what happens. Maybe the price will drop after Labor Day. That is the typical time to start lay-up around here for those that don't take their boating seriously.

To answer some of the issued raised:

"2+3's don't have " double door hatches". Corsicans do." After looking at the photos here in the model list it does not look anything like a Corsican. It looks like the 2+3 does indeed have 2 doors that swing to the sides with a removable center support over the engine compartment. It also has a windshield which appears factory and looks the same as one other I have seen photos of in the registry. Very few of the 2+3s I have seen photos of have this.

"Sure it isn't a 3 hatch?"

I don't know what a 3 hatch is.

As for the car engine, it was installed by the owner previous to the present owner. The present owner has had the boat for 27 years so any details would be hard to pin down. I agree that marine duty is a whole different thing than automotive duty.

As soon as my schedule permits I will try to get some photos so at least the double door engine cover can be resolved.

Thanks again for all the input.
Frank

BERTRAM BOY
09-03-2002, 08:06 PM
What you've described IS a "triple hatch" and is an early 1966 boat not a 1967.
Did you find the hull number? It's written in black magic marker behind the grab rail opposite the steering wheel.

penbroke
09-03-2002, 08:16 PM
Hull number was under the front deck just foreward of the windshield. Hand written black magic marker under a layer of fiberglass cloth and clear resin. 16-276 and under that was Donzi with the crossed z. The 16 seems odd as the boat looked and felt like 18' to me. I should lat a tape on it to be sure.

Is the triple hatch better/worse than the single?

BERTRAM BOY
09-03-2002, 09:10 PM
A triple hatch is far more rare than a single hatch. The hull number seems odd. If it's a true triple hatch 18, it probably should be before about hull 85-90 or so. Hull #276 is waayyyy too late for a triple hatch 18.
A few pics would REALLY help.

Scott Pearson
09-04-2002, 05:59 AM
Windshield? Hummm. Wonder if this is a Corsican like said in an earlier post? Does this boat have storage compartments on the sides of the deck outside of the cockpit area? The #16 is very odd.

(NJ)Scott

penbroke
09-04-2002, 08:29 PM
I looked at the photos here under "Model List" and it is NOT a Corsican. Looking thru the registry the cockpit layout and engine hatches are the same as hull number 18-75.

I saw somewhere in the registry a 2+3 with the same windshield and big curved mirror. In the comments it stated that it was equiped with the optional factory windshield. I have not been able to find that listing again.

I will try to get photos when I can get down that way again.

Craig
09-06-2002, 11:25 AM
As stated already, all the marine safety stuff would concern me due to cost, but most of that stuff is pretty easily changeable, but as also mentioned I would think the cam would be critical and a pain because you'd need to pull the motor to replace with a marine one. You would think this stuff has been done if the boat and motor has survived years of running, but a car cam wouldn't let it run right anyway, would it? Also it should be easy to clarify it's not a '67 16 due to the major interior cockpit difference. Weren't all 16's around that time only one forward facing left hand driver's seat and the wrap around bench platform to the right? That's should be easy. Hey if you want to do it the hard way, I guess you could just measure it like you said! Sounds interesting.

Formula Jr
09-06-2002, 05:35 PM
We might be making too many assumptions here. True, the early 18's had the three hatch (two outer hatches and the removeable center piece) and the sharp keel. But the hull and deck are two different molds. Its conceivable that there were many more three hatch boats made after the switch to the rounded keel in the '67s. This would explain the higher serial number for the Deck.
It is definitly an 18. The upper loop of the 8 must have been baddly written. There were no 2+3 16s till the reintroduction around 1990 and no 16 ever had double hatches except the O/B Baby.

harbormaster
09-06-2002, 05:57 PM
If you were truly interested and truly wanted to know about the boat then you would Take a Picture and post it! :D :D :D

Dino
09-06-2002, 10:29 PM
I looked at this boat and it has two hatch covers and a removable center piece as well.
I am not sure this helps but I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

penbroke
09-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Sorry for the lack of attention to this matter. 'Will have photos in a couple of days. Post any areas of special interest to photograph not already mentioned and I will do my best.

frank

penbroke
09-10-2002, 10:44 AM
I just spoke to the owner and it will be several days before he can give me access to the boat. He has some more pressing issues to deal with at the present.

frank

FARJR
09-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Hi Guys, I became a member about a month ago when I feel upon a 2+3 18 67 barrel back 3 hatch. I asked a few questions at that time when I found your website in my research. Frank I got to say I have the same boat sitting in my warehouse right now. I purchased it for under 1000 with trailer. This is all original that I can tell with a 210hp Ford and a Eaton drive with factory windshield. I haven't had anytime to register it with the site yet or send pictures to you guys, sorry been very busy. It was just a fluke that I came on line tonight and saw your question. My boat is faded and has been outside for the past 6 years which lifted the clear coat. It is red with a white stipe and has a tin green windshield with black interior. Nothing that I can see has been changed but the front seats don't match one is bigger than the other. I also have a roller trailer in average shape. The Hull #OTCP1405891401, Ford Interceptor #EW92263007 this will be my winter project. Got to run to a meeting will check back later. I would like to thank all of the members for such a great site hopefully next year I will beable to run with some of you. Thanks Again, Frank

penbroke
09-17-2002, 07:57 PM
Finally got to take some photos today. I put a tape on it and it is 17'-10" from stem to stern. This just adds mystery to the hull number question. (see photo below).

http://www.donzi.net/photos/fcg01.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/fcg04.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/fcg05.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/fcg06.jpg

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Frank

penbroke
09-17-2002, 07:59 PM
oops, sorry about the big photos.

BERTRAM BOY
09-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Penbroke,
Well there's no doubt that it's an early 18. The stern light gives it away also. The laters ones are mounted on the deck. However the HIN is definetly a mystery, because it's certainly not a 16.
It looks like everything is there. After seeing those photos, I don't think that the asking price is that far out of line. Of course it depends on the condition of the engine compartment and the mechanicals.
Also, Someone PLEASE get that boat off of that roller trailer.

By the way, Where is the HIN written?

CDMA
09-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Wow clean original piece. Some worker having sniffed too much polyester probably wrote the wrong #. Think about is. Miami 90degrees, under the front deck, high on fumes...amazing the guy could write.

Could it be hull # 27 though??? That would be the earliest 18 I know of.

Chris

I agree with Cliff...price seems more reasonable now..

tailwind
09-17-2002, 09:25 PM
Hi Penbroke, forgive the sp;

Looks like a really cherry early model 18 ! Congrats on the find. Others will chime in on this, but this does look like a nice find!

Considering the age and also condition, I would ask: do you want a functional Donzi or perhaps a great classic ? Youre choice, buy a classic, and thouroughly enjoy it, buy a newer
one for perhaps ?

12 K will get you alot, especially with an OMC. Bought a 91 with everything for less. Shop around and you will find a deal that satisfies!

Randy

ToonaFish
09-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Aw, Frank, it'd be hard to stay emotionally uninvolved with this boat! It'll come down to the old price vs. value debate that we seem to endlessly hash over... but she's cute as the day she left the factory and looks like she needs a deserving home. Fingers crossed that she finds it!

penbroke
09-18-2002, 07:15 PM
The HIN is on the bottom of the deck about a foot foreward of the gauge panel and centered side to side. It is also upside down. You would have to lay with your feet toward the bow looking up to read it. There appears to be other writting around this area as well that I could not make out because of the bright sun glowing through the deck. Maybe in the dark with a flashlight.

Frank

BERTRAM BOY
09-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Frank,
Look behind the dash, in back of the grab rail. This is where the HIN should be. It should say 18 --. I'm guessing that it will be a two digit number after the 18.

Formula Jr
09-19-2002, 05:27 AM
Pen, take some heavy duty solvent and see if it wipes away a small piece of the 16-276.