PDA

View Full Version : is this an insane price for a 66 16?

Jason
09-20-2001, 10:34 AM
i have a 66 16 that im lookin at and the engine hasn't been run in 17 yrs, and it needs miinor fiberglass work, but everything else in ok condition, with a trailer for 5 grand. is that an insane price for a boat that 's engine hasn't even been started for 17 years? :confused:

Formula Jr
09-20-2001, 03:49 PM
Huuummmm. Last Run in 1984. Take $170 off for each year it sat idle and you're getting close to a realistic figure. If its been outside - all bets are off. Most people have no idea what it takes to restore a boat this far down the road - thats why they sell them, unfortunately they also have it in their head that the boat is Ultra-rare and valueable. That is a combo I walk away from and never look back. Its too much work to explain to them it will take another five grand to bring it back up to equal the same level of running state you can find with any other restored/maintained boat forsale elsewhere. With a 66, you got more going on than the engine. Tell um you would consider the boat at 2K and see what they say just for giggles. I'll bet they say, "The Trailer is worth that!"

Greg
09-20-2001, 04:01 PM
Jason, Formula Jr. is right on. I am in the process of restoring a '66. It was stored inside and out, but always tarped up. Once you get into it there really is alot more to it than most people think. For starters I'm sure that the gas tank is going to have to be replaced, then when you get into it there will surely be more. Both with the engine and drive. I truely llove my '66 but it sure is alot of work bringing it back. Two grand would be a good price but be prepared to shed some elbow grease. Just my $.02. Greg

ripbod2
09-20-2001, 04:44 PM
Jason, Why don't you buy my 79,18' classic for the price of $8,700. It's turn key,ready to go! No elbow grease! You won't be disappointed! Beautiful boat! Pic on registry under David Moon from Lakeland Michigan. Call me if interested. 810-231-2573.
Take care,
David

Formula Jr
09-20-2001, 09:03 PM
Jason, If I may, let me restate what I've said in previous posts regarding older fiberglass boats. It does not apply to all Old Glass boats, just fast off shore boats that are designed to run hard.

Its my opinion that restoring any Donzi over 30 years old should be done purely for "Show" and henceforth used moderately. 30 Year old Plastic Reinforced Fiberglass has cured and decayed via Ultraviolet Light to a degree that it is no longer structurally sound enough to take the punishment these boats were designed for. Contrary to popular belief, fiberglass has a high stress shielf life of about 35 years: Less if keep in the sun and saltwater. Much less if the boat was originally made as a lighter race boat. I'm not talking about transoms, balsa cores or stringers here. I'm talking about the whole boat. If you are going to run a boat hard, don't get one more than 20 years old if you want to keep it for a while. People who do run Pre-70 boats, like me, know there is a chance of major structural failure (topside collapse, deck hull seperation or having the dash blow-out) as the resins have become hard and brittle, and now have very little flexibility. Its an understood risk. But a risk none the less. At a certain point it is cheaper to remake the boat entirely than try to retrofit an older hull and deck. Of coarse, at that point it isn't a Donzi anymore, its your personal Donzi clone.

Mr. Moon's Boat is worth a look.

AGUESS
09-21-2001, 09:52 AM
Jason, I am almost finished with a complete restoration of my 1966 Classic 18.

New balsa, stringers, transom, fuel tank, wiring, guages, engine, drive, lights, etc. Total cost in excess of 9 - 10 K. I have quit keeping track. Not counting about 1 year of on and off labor to do this.

If I had not owned this since I was 13 (now 40), I would never have done this. Buy a newer boat unless you can buy this one really cheap.

FYI. pull all the spark plugs, put a wrench on the front of the engine and see if it will turn over. If so, it might start with new plugs, wires, dist and after cleaning the carb to get all of the gum out of it. At a minimum, plan on having to lift the deck and replace the tank.

Good Luck with your decision.

Alex

Jason
09-21-2001, 01:06 PM
i wanted an original aronow boat, which when i say means i want a sweet 16 , but i found a 67 w? a engine that was just redone by ford, hasn't even been put back in the boat, has all new everything, accept for the block, , hull is in good condition but it needs a new g tank, and the engine installed, and deck put back on w/ trailer for 4500 is that a good deal, and o yea has the origional eaton od( whats a good up grade for that od that has power trim and tilt etc. but won't require altering the x factor or anythin , just something that can be put in in the same transom outcut? and to ur offer 4 the 18 ill give ya 5 grand

marcdups
09-25-2001, 03:37 PM
Jason, I may have to sell my 94 sweet 16, will know by this week end, I will consider taking the amount you are offering, boat in good shape, new guages, new trim tabs ( bennett ) new stereo jvc with remote, new sony amplifier, poly planor speakers, spare props, needs minor cosmetic work and have quite an inventory of spare parts, even a quart of gelcoat, the guys at Eufala can give you a rundown, overall asweet boat, Let me know if you have any interest.

Marc :(

GeneD
09-25-2001, 10:10 PM
Hey man, that 66 18-2+3 sounds like a GREAT deal.
True Aronow design.
And it's a V-Drive!!!!!